Just got my macan 2L

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Just macan

Post by Just macan »

:lol:

PBT147

Post by PBT147 »

Just don't agree it's a "better all round car" and certainly no where near as quick, in a straight line or around the corners thats not possible regardless of how nimble it feels. I didn't mean to offend anyone here I'm to just giving my opinion after driving both models. The reasoning behind the 2l outselling the 3l could be that the head start on production of the 2l (over 3 months) could help with availability for buyers who don't/didn't necessarily want to wait for the 3l. I really hope you continue to enjoy your purchase both models are great cars!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Just macan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:41 pm Hi PBT147
Good question...
I agree the price difference between the two was not an issue for me. I looked at the many professional reviews and I only drove the 2 L and found it very powerful and unexpectedly so as I thought like others with a macan weighing near the 2000 kgm it would need the 3 L to pull this suv but not so with the 2L engine...it is an absolute gem,very fast,great torque and looking ahead in every running cost to service it,repairs,running cost ,road tax and insurance all come much less than the 3 L.
Not to forget it has more than 240 hp and very quiet engine. I had 3 L mercedes clk before and was noisy at low rpm rev .
Over all I felt the 2L fits my needs and I had it now for nearly a week and very happy with my choice and when I replace it in 2-3 years I would definitely go for a 2 L again.
All depends on what fits your needs and expectations but

I can assure you the 2 L has more power than you need

and in fact the salesman told me that the 2 L are selling more than the 3 L in their centre but this may be different in other porsche centres.
Ultimately whatever engine size you have...you will be very happy as all other aspects of the macan are very pleasing.
No right or wrong here in deciding which engine size you choose.
Disagree.

Your statement is incorrect.

The 2.0 litre just does not have the power needed to move a car that loaded will be 2 tonne without a considerable degree of compromise.

Yes it will move, but considerable more effort will be required to make progress with traffic on A roads with the National Speed Limit in force. I drove a 2.0 litre for the day when my Turbo was in for service and I was well and truly stuck behind slow moving traffic (40 in a 60) since there was insufficient clear road to safely make progress, progress that would have been simple if I had been in an S/GTS/Turbo.

The 2.0 litre is a Driving Miss Daisy car, its whole purpose is emissions compliance and to give a first step platform into the Marque, so if a buyer is used to lesser performing cars then of course the 2.0 litre will seem a great performer. That said, it works and as long as it works for you that is all that matters but please do not kid yourself a 3.0 litre and above models are effortless to drive and that imo is just how a Porsche should be.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Just macan

Post by Just macan »

The heated discussions continue about which is a better buy 2L or 3L among the owners of both!
I refer to Top gear recent reviews of both..that sealed the argument for me.
:lol:
johnd

Post by johnd »

PBT147 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:04 am The reasoning behind the 2l outselling the 3l could be that the head start on production of the 2l (over 3 months) could help with availability for buyers who don't/didn't necessarily want to wait for the 3l.
Another factor, according to my local OPC, is that they are actively encouraging SD owners towards the 2l if they're in the market for a new Macan. I'm a little surprised if many SD owners take the bait after being used to the torque and midrange acceleration of the SD, but apparently I'm wrong :o
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
RAA

Post by RAA »

After 15 months of waiting, since I ordered the new, facelifted Macan S and put down a deposit, I was supposed to collect my new car yesterday. However, fate said otherwise: I was due to part-exchange my Mazda CX-5, but there were 3 recalls outstanding on it and a 'system' problem, so the Mazda had to go in to the dealership. It is now there, awaiting parts and the work involved. Had to change my insurance dates, losing out financially, and have had to rent another car for a couple of weeks. Hopefully, I'll be collecting my new S soon, though ............... patience is a virtue they say ! Bob
Just macan

Post by Just macan »

RAA
Regarding the new car insurance...porsche dealers FYI give you 5 days free insurance cover for the car you buy from them when you ask.

You will love your New Macan ...very special machine
Enjoy it ....
Charliemonkey

Post by Charliemonkey »

Interesting discussion re new 2L vs 3L Macan.

I would like to add my two cents.

I have recently purchased a new 2L, I did not drive the 3L as my previous car was the Macan GTS.

All is good so far and it exceeds my expectations. My reason for “downsizing “ was because the bulk of my motoring is on A and B roads and I could never really push the GTS to anywhere near it’s limits. It was probably a waste of a great engine.

I appreciate that no one buys any Porsche to worry about fuel economy but 20-22 mpg without hammering it seemed a bit excessive to me. It’s early days with the 2L but I am seeing
26-28 mpg doing similar journeys at a similar speed.

I am not trying to justify my purchase in any way, I still get all the benefits of owning a Porsche just without the gorgeous noise of a 6 cylinder engine with the PSE open. [emoji16][emoji16]

I think that calling the 2L a “Driving Miss Daisy “ car is a tad unfair though, it’s a bit like saying your 718 Cayman (which I have also owned) is crap compared to a GT4.

Anyway, happy motoring to all, irrespective of which model you own. It’s horses for courses I guess.

Just while I think about, anyone know why it takes forever for the oil to come up to operating temperature ? It seemed much quicker in the GTS !!

Cheers
Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
T4LGO

Post by T4LGO »

My thoughts.. I've extensively driven the 2.0L and the 3.0L .. I ordered the 3.0L. The 2.0L was good.. the VAG 2.0l tfsi engine is a great engine .. Ive had it in various guises for almost 20 years (mk5 golf gti to 2017 S3) you have to work the 2.0l hard to get it to go. I noticed little difference in handling (its a SUV after all) the 3.0l felt much faster and you could use the extra torque so it felt alot less strained. I feel the Macan isnt about screaming about, its about making rapid smooth progress, something the 3.0l did very well. When you look at the extra kit you get standard on the S (getting on for £2000) and the better resale.. I thought it was a no brainer to go for the 3.0L V6 ..
Kermit the Mamba Green Macan S .. http://www.porsche-code.com/PKIFXUV9
PBT147

Post by PBT147 »

"driving miss daisy" thought very amusing to be honest it is only an opinion and I don't think for one minute it was meant to offend anyone. In relation to top gear, so what, they have highly rated various manufacturers like Skoda, Kia, Hyundai and many others over the years but would I buy one on their review, don't think so! but that's not to say they aren't a great car for someone else! Facts are the 2l engine is far less responsive than the 3l and theres no advantage gained going in & out of corners in the 2l so think it's an unjustified statement. I had 2 Macan SDs and those did feel quick due to the torque. When I first posted on ownership of the 3l I did say I thought the car felt a bit numb, however it wasn't the case, its because it's so smooth and pretty rapid, I only really noticed how rapid it was when I went passed a car which was doing around 50mph which after 4-5 seconds hard acceleration the subject was disappearing from my rear view mirror very very quickly indeed, and that's what would probably happen whilst overtaking a 2l or a "miss daisy car" only joking couldnt resist.