Hello - Looking to buy

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

After 12 BMW's and a few VW's I'm now considering a Macan. My wife and I have test driven a new 2ltr and a 17 plate SD - my current car is a BMW 535d GT 2015, so I do like diesel and I think we both preferred the SD over the 2ltr petrol. However, my wife still wants to test drive the BMW X4 M4.0D, I can get a 68 reg for around £45k and the same money would buy a decent 17 plate Macan SD. I need to convince the wife that the Porsche is the correct option as I'm tired of losing £15K every two years on a BMW and I believe the Porsche is actually the better car.

After two visits to Porsche Guildford - hats off to Laura who dealt with us superbly - there hasn't been a 17 plate with the correct spec. I want:

Pano roof
PALS (LED or Xenon)
PASM
Auto dimming mirrors
Heated 14 way (at least) adjustable seats.
Less than 20k miles
Anything else is a bonus.

Xenon or LED seem to be rare on the SD and auto dimming mirrors likewise - is that just because people thought they were standard?

Is the Bose option much better than standard?

Anyway, any suggestions on how to convince the missus would be greatly received, in the meantime the wait continues.

Cheers

Ian
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome to our friendly forum, Ian.

Hopefully after the X4 test drive, your wife will agree that the Macan is the superior car, if the 'losing £15k every two years' argument isn't convincing her. ;)

Have you tried searching the Porsche Approved site?

https://finder.porsche.com/gb/en_GB/sea ... Keys=macan

112 SDs on there currently, 96 of which are under £46k.

Many can't tell enough of a difference between Bose and standard to justify the cost of it, so definitely not a must have.

Cheers,
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
pmg

Post by pmg »

One consideration is how your wife is going to use the Macan. I would steer away from diesel engined vehicles if mainly used for short trips as many owners have particle filter issues after such use. Yes, the torque of a diesel engine is great for driveability.

Because Porsche UK imported many facelift 2 .0 Macan S with very high specs, you may find dealers open to lowish offers.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Welcome to this Forum Ian

I specified all the options I wanted when I ordered my May 2017 delivered Macan. Personally and following a demo car test drive, I did not see the need for the auto dipping mirrors on it. In 2 years use I have never had a dazzle problem. I did have anti dazzle auto dipping mirrors on my previous Merc and BMW cars and definitely needed because they sit lower on the road than the Macan.

Tried Bose but to my ears not worth the extra cost over the good standard set up.

On the other hand Xenons or LEDs are essential IMO if you do any out of town night driving.

Do ensure it has Sat Nav as this was still an optional extra on 2017.

Your other listed options are all good, although I prefer the standard 8-way seats with their Alcantara centres. Heated seats are great although personally I do not feel a heated steering wheel here in the S. West is necessary.

Do try and test drive a variety of Macans and note down their individual options to see what you can and cannot live without. Good luck!
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

As it happens I test drove the X4 35D before I bought my Macan SD. Beamer quality is no match for a Macan but the 35D was by far a better engine than what is in the SD. Beamer tide quality is not a match on a Macan with PASM or Air.

Your minimum list of extras looks good but definitely include Reversing Cameras in your must have list, as the rear quarter vision in a Macan is very poor.

Most of all Do Not consider any Macan that has Halogen headlights, you might as well hang out the window with a torch they are that bad when out in the country with no street lights.

14 way seats for me are the best I have had, tried a Macan with 8 way and the back is to flat for me to be comfortable and the lack of squab adjustment made me feel perched on the seat. 18 ways are a very snug fit with no fidget room, they are very supportive if you like to drive in a sporting manner.

Bose post mid 2016 is better than previous but the standard system is pretty good since this was upgraded mid 2016 at the same time that the PCM was updated.

Do learn about what was standard on an SD and what is an extra
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Thanks guys. We have been driving 6 cylinder diesel BMW's for 12 years and never had an issue with the DPF, my previous 2012 530d GT had 50000 miles when we got rid and not one single issue. That said, we do short journeys with some longer ones, we do about 10k per year on average.
The mpg of the petrol S scared me a bit when the dealer said 20mpg!
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

My SD only achieved an actual 33mpg where the in car MFD showed 36mpg.

My Turbo’s actual is 22mpg, mostly local, highest on a no rush holiday in the UK 30mpg.

I think the SE was being very conservative with the S mpg, that said the 2.0 litre is still high twenties, it has to haul a pretty heavy car
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Sat nav was standard from early 2016 so any 2017 car will have it ok.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:09 pm My SD only achieved an actual 33mpg where the in car MFD showed 36mpg.

My Turbo’s actual is 22mpg, mostly local, highest on a no rush holiday in the UK 30mpg.

I think the SE was being very conservative with the S mpg, that said the 2.0 litre is still high twenties, it has to haul a pretty heavy car
In a new S over 2500 miles I have averaged 27 Uk Mpg with worst of 19 over a mountain rd in wales and best of 31 on long A road trip.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

MCDK wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:02 pm Sat nav was standard from early 2016 so any 2017 car will have it ok.
As you will see below. it was a £1052 optional extra on my May 2017 registered Macan..

Capture.PNG

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver