Hello - Looking to buy

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

We need a PASM specific thread that we can just point to as this has been done to death over the years.

To PASM or not to PASM that is the question?

It totally depends upon what ride comfort you want and just how well you want the Macan to handle.

Wheel size has a very marked effect on both ride and handling and with and without PASM.

Best to try a whole range of Macans of various wheel sizes and suspension setups to decide what is best for your needs.

By far the best riding Macan that I have driven was a 2.0 with Air and on 18” wheels, superbly comfortable ride but more body roll when driven with gusto through the corners.

By far the worst ride quality was an S with no PASM and 21” wheels, a hard ride, the whole car moved around on uneven surfaces, in the corners far more body roll than a Macan with PASM.

A good compromise is with PASM and 19/20” wheels, a smooth comfortable ride and very good handling, for an SUV.

21” and PASM will give a slightly firmer ride, better slightly better handling than the 19/20” wheeled Macan but with a bit more tyre noise.

There is no way on the planet that a PASMless Macan will ride and handle as well as a Macan with PASM, it is physically impossible for a conventional sprung and damped car to ride and handle as well as one with active suspension.

You do your research, take the test drives and then tick the box.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

The problem is finding one locally with 21" wheels and no PASM to try, they don't exist!
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Paul

Post by Paul »

The PASM debate will run and run (indeed, Col has just started his own new thread on it) but the original concept (whichever the manufacturer,) was to improve handling when the car is driven in a more agressive manner, the active dampers keeping the car on a more even plane, reducing roll along with pitch and dive. Any “comfort” benefits are secondary.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

ianst wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:30 pm
Kleynie wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:05 am So are we saying that PASM should be specified if 21" wheels are fitted? I am well used to M Sport suspension and my current 535d has 21" wheels with passive dampers.
I have driven a standard diesel Macan without PASM and 18" wheels, it rode very well indeed.
This forum is obsessed with having PASM, it certainly wasnt as bad as an m sport/run flat, drove fine without.
It is not the forum that is obsessed with PASM. Just certain contributors. ;)

A number of forum members have had Macans without PASM and been perfectly happy. If I recall correctly, one member (Mark?) is on his 3rd PASM-less Macan with large wheels.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
pmg

Post by pmg »

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:27 pm
ianst wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:30 pm
Kleynie wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:05 am So are we saying that PASM should be specified if 21" wheels are fitted? I am well used to M Sport suspension and my current 535d has 21" wheels with passive dampers.
I have driven a standard diesel Macan without PASM and 18" wheels, it rode very well indeed.
This forum is obsessed with having PASM, it certainly wasnt as bad as an m sport/run flat, drove fine without.
It is not the forum that is obsessed with PASM. Just certain contributors. ;)

A number of forum members have had Macans without PASM and been perfectly happy. If I recall correctly, one member (Mark?) is on his 3rd PASM-less Macan with large wheels.
Some individuals in the population have also bought BMW's with 19 inch wheels runflats and Msport suspension with a ride like a plank running on on roller skates!!
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Kleynie wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:32 pm The problem is finding one locally with 21" wheels and no PASM to try, they don't exist!
Why restrict yourself to 'local'? I went over 400 miles to buy my Panamera, sight unseen. Most OPC's will deliver nationwide. Any wheel size can be changed by the dealer or yourself if that's what you want, keep the originals for winter tyres perhaps.
FWIW, Macan No1 (an SD) had just PASM on 19's, Macan No2 (an S) had Air on 19's. We preferred the S with Air.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Im not restricting myself to buying local, but I'm not travelling hours just for a test drive. Currently chasing a Macan SD in York when I'm in London, but it has 20's and PASM, so pretty safe.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

I live in Lincoln, the closest OPC to me is in Nottingham, the Macan I was interested in was in Wolverhampton so for a fully refundable deposit Nottingham arranged to get the Macan to them for me to test drive and I ended up buying it....
Vulcano Grey 2019 Macan 2.0
White 2017 Macan 2.0 returned to OPC for full refund
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
White 2016 Merc GLC Coup Premium Plus sold
Grey 2015 Audi S5 cabrio sold
White 2014 Audi SQ5 diesel sold
happy days

Post by happy days »

I once bought a BMW Z3 from Milton Keynes. Not so easy for me to pop in for a test drive, but I had an old uni pal who lived close by and worked for VW. I asked him to call in and give it the once over, and on his recommendation, I bought it without seeing it. No regrets. I flew in, was collected at the airport and my first spin in it was over the Welsh mountains to Holyhead for the Dublin ferry. Nice!
Macan S D
718 S
Panthera

Post by Panthera »

happy days wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:40 pm I once bought a BMW Z3 from Milton Keynes. Not so easy for me to pop in for a test drive, but I had an old uni pal who lived close by and worked for VW. I asked him to call in and give it the once over, and on his recommendation, I bought it without seeing it. No regrets. I flew in, was collected at the airport and my first spin in it was over the Welsh mountains to Holyhead for the Dublin ferry. Nice!
Bought my wife's TT Roadster from Cambridge Audi (400+ miles from home) on the back of the details on Autotrader, a chat with the sales guy and the video he kindly filmed for me. No worries, with a no-quibble 30 days money-back guarantee and a year's warranty. Lovely drive to my folks in the North East and a better drive to catch the Cairnryan ferry back home :D
Ray :geek:
Macan SD
Rhodium Silver, 21” Wheels on Air, ACC, Pano Sunroof, 14way Seats, 4x Heated and Steering, Reversing Cam, Spare Wheel, Privacy Glass, PDK Gears, Folding Mirrors,