New member looking for advice

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
jessat

Post by jessat »

Hi I'm new to the forum and looking to buy a Macan.
I'm currently driving a Mk3 Audi TT and although i have enjoyed years of ownership i think it's time for a change.
I know i'm looking to go from a small car to one much larger and this change will be quite a change in what i'm used to but think it's one i will like.
I have arranged a test drive and am looking at a 17 plate 2.0 petrol.
What i would like advice on is what i should be looking for as must have's for this car and what to look out for / possible issues.
I also would like real world experiences. I'm doing about 8k a year and mostly motorways.
Hopefully the answer will add weight to me convincing the other half that the car is not too big for us!!

Thanks
Sapphire Blue, Black leather 14 way mem, Heated wheel, seats f&R & windscreen, Pan Roof, 21" Spider Alloys, Air sus & PASM, LED PDLS, Bose Sound , Surround View, Adaptive Cruise, keyless entry, comfort lighting.

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

We have a TT and a Macan.

They are both great cars that are both lovely to drive.

The TT is a bit more sporty and easier to park because of its size.

The Macan is more practical because of it's size, 5 seats and luggage space. I find it much nicer to drive on motorways too.

You can't justify 2 cars :D :D :D
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

If you click on Whats New then you will find a lot of recent threads covering your topics, a search for specifics will list many many threads

Read through this thread to learn about what extras are available

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4942

Have your test drive and before you do get the SE to go through the car with you pointing out what is an extra on the car, they could give you a printout of the cars spec.

There are no must haves, there is a Macan which will work for you but how it is configured is up to your requirements.

My own minimum must haves would be:-
PASM
14 way seats
Reversing Camera
Spare wheel
Heated steering wheel
ACC (auto variable cruise control, standard is old fashioned fixed speed)
PS+

Please use the above as a guide.

I shall sign off and look forward to you coming back and giving us a review of your test drive.

After you have had your test drive can I suggest that you arrange for another test drive but of an S rather than another 2.0, if your OPC does not have one then do take out one from their used selection since it is the engine that would actually be test driven.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
adam b

Post by adam b »

My best advice - buy one with at least an S badge on the back
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
jessat

Post by jessat »

ScotMac wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:02 pm We have a TT and a Macan.

They are both great cars that are both lovely to drive.

The TT is a bit more sporty and easier to park because of its size.

The Macan is more practical because of it's size, 5 seats and luggage space. I find it much nicer to drive on motorways too.

You can't justify 2 cars :D :D :D
Thanks Scott. I wish j could but my budget and parking space deems I can only have 1 car! 🙄. Good to hear you like the Macan. Means I am on right track.
Sapphire Blue, Black leather 14 way mem, Heated wheel, seats f&R & windscreen, Pan Roof, 21" Spider Alloys, Air sus & PASM, LED PDLS, Bose Sound , Surround View, Adaptive Cruise, keyless entry, comfort lighting.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

If your 8k mileage really is mostly motorway driving you could do worse than consider the S Diesel. If there is a lot of town driving then the 2L car you're considering will be the best choice. Too much town driving in a diesel raises the risk of Diesel Particulate Filter problems.

If you like to keep ahead of the traffic, which as a TT driver I expect you do then the S (Petrol or Diesel) is the version to look for. The Macan weighs nearly 2 Tonnes and it's asking a lot to expect a 2L engine to accelerate that weight rapidly.

If you really like driving spiritedly on windy roads then you should look for a car with PASM and 18 way seats.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Good point about the diesel.

If you are doing mainly motorway driving the diesel is perfect. You should be able to get 40 mpg too which is a bonus.

Worth having a test drive anyway.
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

diesel all the way, average over 40,000 miles 44 mpg
jessat

Post by jessat »

Thanks for the advice guy's
TT owners will know what i mean when i say the car wants you be pushed a little all the time..
Im maybe looking to slow myself down a bit and be a bit more sensible!! :?
Interesting what you say about diesels.. most of my previous cars have been diesel but i opted for petrol due to all the negative press.
i know the 2017 until is maybe Euro 6 so very clean but that does not seem to matter these days...
Are you worried about being heavily taxed or the price of fuel going up even more?
Maybe i'm over thinking things??
A diesel S seems to be on the same pricing as a petrol base in the second hand market.
Thoughts?
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

jessat wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:31 pm Hi I'm new to the forum and looking to buy a Macan.
I'm currently driving a Mk3 Audi TT and although i have enjoyed years of ownership i think it's time for a change.
I know i'm looking to go from a small car to one much larger and this change will be quite a change in what i'm used to but think it's one i will like.
I have arranged a test drive and am looking at a 17 plate 2.0 petrol.
What i would like advice on is what i should be looking for as must have's for this car and what to look out for / possible issues.
I also would like real world experiences. I'm doing about 8k a year and mostly motorways.
Hopefully the answer will add weight to me convincing the other half that the car is not too big for us!!

Thanks
Doesn’t matter what we say, you have to convince “SWMBO” 😳 Macan is taller granted and app half metre longer But! It’s 4cm narrrower than your TT, much easier to glide through tighter spaces with the benefit if the higher ride height and if PS Plus a feather light steering when parking 🤔 If not convinced get a much smaller T Roc 2.0 R line, same engine, DSG box, and a lot cheaper to own, plasticky interior but sound VW engineering. Or Audi and if not badge oriented a Seat, all very similar.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6