Macan GTS (MY2017) - Grüezi from Switzerland!!

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
suicidalguitar

Post by suicidalguitar »

Hi forum,

I'm a portuguese guy living in Switzerland. Found this forum and am loving it. Really helping me out on my decision to buy a Macan GTS.

After driving exclusively Audis for the last 8years (Audi TT mk2 3.2, Audi A3 8V 2.0 TDI, Audi S5 V6T, Audi S7 V8T, Audi Q7 4.2 TDI), me and wife (actually she doesn't really care all that much :roll: ) decided to look for something different after our Q7 being stolen one month ago on a road trip to Portugal.

We've been looking at Audi RS6/RS7, Audi A6/A7 BiTdi (nice cars but not sure a diesel is the best solution for us), Audi RS4... After realizing that we'd need to go for something around 5 or 6 years old in case of an RS6/RS7, or something newer but higher milage, we decided to take a look at the Macan. Was a little bit afraid about the rear seats and boot space (looked into a couple Macans when we bought the S7), but I believe it will be enough for us now that our daughter is over 3 years old.

I've found a good looking 2016 Macan GTS (MY2017) with 45000km (28'000 miles). As far as I've been reading here, a GTS is already a well specced car. On top of that, this car has nice options but I'm not sure if its missing something essential. I know almost everything about Audis. I will need some time to master Porsche options list :shock: . Anyway, I'd like to have an opinion from the experts.

A google translation from german:

optional equipment
Adaptive sport seats incl. Comfort memory package
Active speed / distance control system with emergency brake initiation
Bose surround sound system
Fuel tank 75 liters
LED headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
Comfort lighting package
Metallic paint
Panoramic glass roof
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM): Air suspension incl. Level control
Porsche Swiss Package
Digital radio reception (DAB / DAB +)
Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including extended navigation module
Porsche warranty: 2 + 2 years
Power steering speed dependent
Ultrasonic parking aid front and rear with reversing camera
Front seats heated
Smokerpackage
Rail system in the cargo compartment with variable lashing eyes
Seat belts, colored
Sport Chrono Package

Any other option that I should be looking for? What am I missing?

Other than that, could you help me with this pictures of the front and rear brakes? Do they look like 45'000km (28'000 miles) or do they look like they have been already changed? Disc? Pads?

The car is 2h drive away. What should I be looking for when going to see it and drive it?

Here's a link to the car:
http://www.autoscout24.ch/de/hci/detail ... 3%26r%3D63

Thanks a lot 8-)

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome to he forum, like your user name.

The GTS spec looks good as it is.

As for other possible extras, many of us have a heated steering wheel which we all seem to love and I specified side airbags because I carry my Grandchildren.

The images of the discs does not show much signs of wear so either the discs have been changed or the owner is a very careful driver. Ask the question of them, there should be a record of all service works and what has been changed.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Welcome S🎸, A good spec GTS as Col L said a heated steering wheel would be nice but not a deal breaker. Only major issue with Macan’s can be potential Transfer Box failure (check subject threads on this site) The discs and pads don’t look to have been changed but with 28k miles unless the owner is heavy footed I wouldn’t expect it. Have 31k on mine, no change needed yet. You may however ( dependant on your miles added) get a big bill on next service but that’s a year away.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
suicidalguitar

Post by suicidalguitar »

Thanks Col L. Heated steering wheel would be great, especially considering that I'm living in St Moritz, at 1800m. But I cannot find one with that option that doesn't miss other more "essential" options. That's the sad part about buying second hand cars.
The brakes look good to me too. Way to good for 28k miles. Will try to investigate a little bit deeper. I've decided to drive 2h30 tomorrow to take a look at the car and talk to the sales guy.

Regarding the username, thanks. I've been using it since the the old times of mIRC (Over 20years ago :shock: ). Not really proud of it now at 35yo, but not really willing to think about anything else, so I just keep using it everytime I need one :roll:

Thanks MikeM. I've read about the transfer box problems for the last couple days. Other than looking into the service book or asking directly to Porsche, any other way to check in loco if it has been changed? Any recall campaign about that issue or any other issue that I should look out for?

Anyone here have experience with both, Macan GTS and Audi RS6? Would love to hear from you... :ugeek:
suicidalguitar

Post by suicidalguitar »

What about Porsche Torque Vectoring Plus (PTV+)? As far as I understand, this car doesn't have that. Will I lose any of the thrills that a GTS should give me? Is this a part of the essential options on a GTS?

Will I be able to use CarPlay (eventualy AndroidAuto with an update) with this infotainment system? Read so many different things that I'm not sure if things are getting clearer or more confusing...
suicidalguitar

Post by suicidalguitar »

I guess I should make those questions in some other section...

Anyway, I don't think it's worth opening another thread so I might just keep this one going for the moment (please let me know if I should do differently).

Last Wednesday we went to take a look at the car, and stopped mid way to take a look at another GTS. A really good looking one, but a little bit on the expensive side comparing to the one above. However we really liked it more than we should, but we could not justify ourselves paying 8000chf more for basically a same year/kms car. Different interior color and material combinations, but the essential specs are basically the same.

We continued or journey towards the first car, and it also looks great. More subtle interior, but a more subtle price too. Even though the car have already had 2 owners (which I wasn't so comfortable about), we were decided to buy it. Still under the factory warranty, so we would have some piece of mind.
However, as soon as we arrived home, I though... hmmm... What the hell.... I won't lose anything if I send an email asking for a better price on the other car, arguing that we are really interested but we could not justify ourselves the price difference. It was a nice move and the feedback was much better than expected. We've received a reasonable offer and looks like we'll be closing the deal this week.

This is the car I'm taking about:
https://m.autoscout24.ch/it/d/porsche-m ... s%3fr%3d30

What do you guys think?
It still misses the PTV+, which I'm not sure will make much difference out of a track...

Regarding the CarPlay/AndroidAuto question on my previous post... Is CarPlay standard or do I need any specific optional to get it? Will AndroidAuto ever be available?

Thanks 😊
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

You are right about PTV+, you don't need it and will not miss it for road use.

If the car has Connect Plus then you will be able to use CarPlay. I can't help with AndroidAuto as I use an iPhone so perhaps others can offer more thoughts on this.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Android Auto - There was this USA article posted in May 2019:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/pors ... ar-future/
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

A well specced car, good choice and also agree very few with PTV+ in UK as not needed unless you are really going to throw your car about on track. Why would you 🤔🤕

45AB55AC-1207-4382-A8A5-E758F7A9CA76.jpeg

😖 thankfully not mine 😊
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
pmg

Post by pmg »

MikeM wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:34 am A well specced car, good choice and also agree very few with PTV+ in UK as not needed unless you are really going to throw your car about on track. Why would you 🤔🤕
45AB55AC-1207-4382-A8A5-E758F7A9CA76.jpeg
😖 thankfully not mine 😊
PTV+ has advantages in conditions of ice and snow which may be quite common in areas of Switzerland!!!
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8