New member looking for advice

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
tomcruisecontrol

Post by tomcruisecontrol »

Evening all!

Full disclosure from the off... I'm by no means a petrol head, but I've always had a pull to Porsche.

My dad had a 911, my mum had the same or similar (memory fails me - 20+ years ago) and I feel like now that I've just got that big promotion - I can't fight what the heart wants any longer! :D

I have a budget of £45-50k (to pay monthly on PCP) to play with - likelihood is that I'll be unable to pay the afford the final payment in 4 years time, so will keep rolling into new PCPs with Porsche - all things going well!

I wanted to get the advice of any of those kind enough to offer it to me, on whether I should go for a 2017+ used Macan in great condition or perhaps stretch to a brand new Macan. This background info might help:

Background Info:
  • Moving from Bristol to the countryside in November/December 2019
  • Starting a new job in said countryside
  • Will be using the car to commute anywhere between 15-35 minutes each day
  • Will be used for school runs some days
  • Likely to drive for 45 mins- 1hr each weekend back into Bath/Bristol for a bit of humanity
  • Looking for a luxury SUV that has enough of an oomph to take over those 'steady Eddies' on those countryside A-roads with confidence
  • Want very little fuss/expense for the first couple years (at a minimum)
Current Questions:
  • If I do get a used Porsche-approved / Porsche dealership Macan, what mileage is edging into potential costly upkeep territory?
  • Any recommendations on Macan suitability / must-have features for my lifestyle?
Apologies for the length and many thanks in advance, really appreciate any responses.

Pivot

Post by Pivot »

First, I would visit a dealer and take a few vehicles for a drive, to decide on Macan derivative: standard, S, GTS or Turbo.
Depending what you currently drive, ride and performance might be a feature.

That will tell you, if you can afford new or should seek a second hand one.

Options is a long discussion in its own right. At a risk of stating the obvious, with new you will have flexibility; with second hand you should get good spec at little extra cost.

Enjoy the experience [emoji41]

PS. Welcome to the forum
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Welcome Tom,
If your budget is £45/50k on PCP? Once you add first year OTR costs the only new Macan you will get is base 2.0 with no options. More likely if via OPC’s you are looking at a c2017 for S models but Turbo, GTS 2016. Ideally go for less than 10k miles pa, you will hit a service cost at 4years or 40k whichever is sooner and almost certainly disc and pad change if not beforehand and both combined will be a big cost c£2.6 to £3.0k. 😖
Re PCP, definitely the most expensive way to fund your motoring. Low interest loan (not via Porsche) far more cost effective. Good luck with your search.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
ianst

Post by ianst »

Instead of taking the porsche PCP at 6.9%, a lot of people, me included have got it from Clydesdale Bank asset finance at 4.7% Give him an email if looking at a new one for some figures.
ryan.dobson@cybg.com
T 0113 807 9071 / 0800 141 2231

Going through them should reduce your monthly payment, the difference is you can't just hand it back after the 4 years and walk away like you can with tradiitional PCP, you would need to sell it and pay off the balloon.
MY22 GTS awaiting parts :roll: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN7IVI77
69 Sapphire S: (sold)
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

tomcruisecontrol wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:36 pm I have a budget of £45-50k (to pay monthly on PCP) to play with - likelihood is that I'll be unable to pay the afford the final payment in 4 years time, so will keep rolling into new PCPs with Porsche - all things going well!
After paying the PCP 'middle man,' servicing and replacement brakes / tyres have you done any 'back of a fag packet' calculations on what that motoring is going to cost you? Owning and driving a Porsche is not cheap however you do it but there's expensive and very expensive ways of doing it.
tomcruisecontrol

Post by tomcruisecontrol »

Thanks for the warm welcome and great advice everyone, really appreciate it. Plenty of food for thought.

A new Macan may be out of reach then; I wonder if looking at a used Macan or Macan S 2017+ from an approved Porsche Centre (e.g. https://finder.porsche.com/gb/en_GB/Macan-S-58460) is the way to go.

MikeM - did you mention that there are some expected costs that surface? On a 2017 plate, I'd probably need the 4-year service before the 40k mileage. Do you reckon there are any other nailed down costs I should expect before then? e.g. pad / disc change (obvs each car is different) :/
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

tomcruisecontrol wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:21 pm Thanks for the warm welcome and great advice everyone, really appreciate it. Plenty of food for thought.

A new Macan may be out of reach then; I wonder if looking at a used Macan or Macan S 2017+ from an approved Porsche Centre (e.g. https://finder.porsche.com/gb/en_GB/Macan-S-58460) is the way to go.

MikeM - did you mention that there are some expected costs that surface? On a 2017 plate, I'd probably need the 4-year service before the 40k mileage. Do you reckon there are any other nailed down costs I should expect before then? e.g. pad / disc change (obvs each car is different) :/
If you buy via any OPC’s you will get a 2 year Porsche warranty, so aside from the fourth year service cost should just be as previously stated and maybe some replacement tyres, wipers. You can always continue to extend the warranty thereafter subject to your view of mileage and risk.
The car you example aside from the panroof has a rather basic spec, suggest you first look closely at the options and what you want to have included before you commit. Plenty of members on here will have lots of advice re specs 😳🤕😉
Previous Porsche’s
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
happy days

Post by happy days »

Take a look at the cost of menu priced servicing. Don't forget a brake fluid change each time too. Also factor in at 40k that the PDK will need the oil replacing (around £200) plus, for each car you are looking at, go to something like blackcircles.com and input the tyres to see what cost they will be to replace.

Buying is one thing, but the servicing and tyre costs that follow can be eye watering. (I have just replaced 8 tyres and had two services in the past month or so, so the piggy bank is severely depleted. Thankfully McCann didn't need brakes at 60k!)
Macan S D
718 S
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Agree with Black Circle, for 4 off 21” the difference between them and OPC was 20%, that’s £150 😳. Better Coffee but ⁉️
Previous Porsche’s
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon