New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
stats007

Post by stats007 »

Just saying hi.

Am looking to buy a Macan Diesel S and thought I'd join to do a bit of research. Had a 996 C4 and Cayenne Turbo previously which Porsche Mid-Sussex looked after but that was a while ago.

Is there an essential sticky thread to read which covers 2015-era cars in the UK?

happy days

Post by happy days »

You'll get lots and lots of answers to this one!

First off, there will be the brigade that chip in and condemn diesels - they will ask you what your mileage is and that if it's low and involves short trips, then avoid diesels at all costs because you might get the dreaded DPF warning light that will involve a regen.

Then you will be told what options your car MUST have, such as a pano roof, 21" wheels, aid suspension, 14 way seats etc etc. And any car you choose won't have all the perfect options. You chose what colour? Really!

Then you will be told off for daring to think about buying a diesel in the first place, how dare you!

After you get all this out of the way, you will get some of the best information that you will ever get, from some of the friendliest keyboard warriors that you are ever likely to encounter on any forum, anywhere.

For my part, choose the colour and options that YOU like, it's your car after all. You will get advice to drive as many as possible (good idea) to see what the various options are like for you.

Items that I love about our McCann are; heated steering wheel, surround cameras, LED lights, 14 way seats.

YMMV

Enjoy, whatever you decide upon!
Macan S D
718 S
stats007

Post by stats007 »

Haha - sounds familiar!

Colour and essential options I've already decided on - the two main ones being PASM and the panoramic roof. The only thing really on my mind is whether 21" wheels are vaguely practical on our roads. I've had 20" 30 profile tyres on a number of cars and really wouldn't go back there. I do prefer the 20" RS Spyder wheels as it happens but it's finding the right car with the right spec. My Cayenne had air suspension and 20" wheels and I got rid of them for 19"s in the end as they were too harsh. It was considerably heavier than a Macan though.

I've owned V12 - V10 - V8 petrols and am happy with a V6 diesel at the moment. I have motorbikes for enjoying a Sunday or weekend - this is for everyday use.
happy days

Post by happy days »

Great cars! Nothing else compares IMO.
Macan S D
718 S
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Welcome to the forum Stats007! :)

I like the 20" wheels on the Macan best. It's a good combination of looks and ride quality / tyre profile. Just my 2p from personal experience. ;)
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Soooo how many miles and what type of trips are you going to be doing in your diesel lol.

Seriously thought although Happy makes it sound like the DFP is a made up thing it can be an issue and has been an issue for cars with short journeys. I'm not essentially anti diesel and they do have a place but only if your driving type dictates. Mr Happy has the perfect use for a diesel as his wife has a long high speed commute. Change that to short city journeys and a diesel is not the answer.

And for sure yes to the 21s. Ride with PASM is surprisingly good and much better than many BMWs I had with smaller wheels.
pmg

Post by pmg »

At least as No New SD's you should be able to drive before you buy.

Prior to a new order, I managed to drive a three-year-old Macan on 20s and air suspension, was happy with both ride and handling and therefore ordered that combination. Previously on BMW's I have avoided any wheels with a lower profile than 17 in wheels and 45 profile. I definitely preferred my 20 air combination to a 19 and just PASM I have driven recently as I thought the handling had lost a bit of sharpness.

Another factor you should look at is whether the car comes with all season tyres or summers and whether you are preferred to sacrifice edge in summer handing for the ability to use the same wheel and tyre set throughout the year with a bit of compromise in all seasons or run a second wheelset for winter. Some owners have experienced Ackermann juddering effects from running summers in low temperatures. Despite also living near Mid Sussex OPC I use the car nationally and will all most certainly be buying a winter wheel set probably 19's. the 18 and 19 sets are narrower than the 20 and 21 sets with therefore reduced aquaplaning risk and better performance on snow.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your hunt for a Macan and drive a few before buying.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8