New to the forum.

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
JonD

Post by JonD »

Hello all,
I'm seriously considering switching my allegiance from BMW to Porsche and, subject to test drive, I could end up with the new Macan turbo.
I'll list what I consider to be 'must have' options and would be grateful for any comments:
1. Air suspension - is it worth the cash?
2. Sport chrono
3. Power steering plus
4. LED headlights
5. Auto dimming mirrors - can't believe they're not standard!
6. Heated front seats ditto
7. Surround view
8. Lane keep - provided it's not too intrusive and can be switched off for twisty road fun.
9. Adaptive cruise
All comments and suggestions welcome.
Many thanks,
Jon D

Makanik

Post by Makanik »

JonD wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:29 pm Hello all,
I'm seriously considering switching my allegiance from BMW to Porsche and, subject to test drive, I could end up with the new Macan turbo.
I'll list what I consider to be 'must have' options and would be grateful for any comments:
2. Sport chrono
3. Power steering plus
4. LED headlights
7. Surround view
8. Lane keep - provided it's not too intrusive and can be switched off for twisty road fun.
9. Adaptive cruise
Many thanks,
Jon D
My twopence worth:

1. N
2. N (gimmick)
3. Y (cheap)
4. N (standard are LED)
5. N
6. Y
7. Y (v. useful)
8. Maybe
9. Y (good)
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome, Jon.

1. There is no such thing as a ‘must have’ option ;)
2. Apart from the LEDs being standard, you will get varying opinions from different forum contributors depending on their own personal preferences.
3. One person’s deal breaker/maker is another’s waste of money/gimmick.

Enjoy the process! :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
pmg

Post by pmg »

2. Sport chrono
3. Power steering plus
4. LED headlights
7. Surround view
9. Adaptive cruise
Many thanks,
Jon D
I have just made the same brand switch and so far well satisfied

1. Air suspension - is it worth the cash? ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE DRIVE Macan WITH AND WITHOUT. ITS AVAILABILITY ONE OF THE REASON S iI BOUGHT A MACAN
2. Sport chrono ON FACELIFT PRODUCES THE STEERING WHEEL MODE SWITCH. I USE IT ALOT
3. Power steering plus
4. LED headlights
7. Surround view MAKES ANY CLOSE MANOUVRING FAR EASIER AND WELL WORTH COST
8. Lane keep - provided it's not too intrusive and can be switched off for twisty road fun. CAN BE SWITCHED OFF
9. Adaptive cruise A BOOM, A GOOD WAY OF PRESERVING LICENSE!!
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
JonD

Post by JonD »

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:12 pm Welcome, Jon.

1. There is no such thing as a ‘must have’ option ;)
Fully appreciate that which is why I was asking for opinions from those more accustomed to the Macan than I am, but thanks very much for your input.
JonD

Post by JonD »

pmg wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:07 pm
2. Sport chrono
3. Power steering plus
4. LED headlights
7. Surround view
9. Adaptive cruise
Many thanks,
Jon D
I have just made the same brand switch and so far well satisfied

1. Air suspension - is it worth the cash? ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE DRIVE Macan WITH AND WITHOUT.
Of course but I very much doubt if Porsche Edinburgh or Glasgow will have both versions to drive, although I'll be happy to be proved wrong. I'll phone around and if I can find a dealer with both within a couple of hundred miles I'll make the trip.
Many thanks for your other comments.
Paul

Post by Paul »

1. Air suspension - is it worth the cash? - IMO no
2. Sport chrono - I specced it but have never used it. My perception of better residual persuaded me
3. Power steering plus - not necessary, and can be added after if required
4. LED headlights - can’t speak for phase 2 but mine are fine!
5. Auto dimming mirrors - can't believe they're not standard! - they’re not, get over it, and not essential on a high up SUV
6. Heated front seats - nice in the winter (obviously!) worth the ££s
7. Surround view - The Macan is a sod to park, I often wish I had this
8. Lane keep - provided it's not too intrusive and can be switched off for twisty road fun. -rubbish (IMO) you get lane assist which doesn’t work. Mine is permanently turned off.
9. Adaptive cruise - not my preferred, just slows you down to the lowest common denominator (aka idiot in front) and causes “you” to brake along with everyone else behind etc etc
Many thanks,
Jon D
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
VanB

Post by VanB »

You’ll get different opinions from everyone so my experience with a GTS was:

Air suspension was awesome and didn’t impact handling

Sports chronicles a waste of money but on the new Macan with the mode switch probably worth considering.

PS plus a waste of cash as I never had a problem with steering weight even when parking being able to turn the steering wheel with one finger ( it can be added later if need be)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Deleted User 1895

Post by Deleted User 1895 »

Hi Jon,

I've had two Macans, a diesel and, currently, a petrol S. The second one was a pre-registered model and I had no choice in the rich array of options that were fitted, whereas with the first it was to my spec and I chose to be a little frugal. Thus, I have experience of many of the options you mention, either present or not.

1. Both my cars have had air suspension and I really like it. I don't push my cars hard but I like them to ride well (I also have a BMW 640D).
2. My current car has sports chrono and I never use it.
3. Power Steering Plus: I chose this in case my wife found the car hard to manoeuvre. It is cheap to add as an after market extra if you miss it once you have the car (which is what I did with my second).
4. My first car had LED lights and they are great but the bi-Xenons on my second are also very good. I would not bother with LED again.
5. Auto dimming. Should be standard and, therefore are a must have.
6. Heated seats: ditto.
7. Surround view: I had it on my first Macan but not the second. I miss it: I like to park close to the kerb and exactly within the white lines in a car park in order to minimise dings. Unfortunately, my surround view wasn't as accurate as the system on my 640D - an error of perhaps plus or minus 6 inches! I'd still consider it, though. The reversing camera is not quite as good, of course, but cheaper.
8/9. LKA/AC: I don't like or need these "nanny state" intrusions and would never choose them!

Hope that helps!

Derek
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

1. Have it on ours and think it rides exceptionally well for 21” wheels. In fact I’ve just chucked my AMG e class at dealer in prep for my new car coming. He drove it down the road and he said God that’s firm!
2. We didn’t bother. Couldn’t see point. Had it on mrs’ 981S. Barely used it. I’ve ordered it on my new one as I think more important on resale for sports car vs SUV
3. Didn’t bother and Mrs has never said it’s too heavy
4. PDLS is good and worth it if you drive at night a lot
7. Have normal camera and haven’t been bothered yet.
8. Left switched off on my merc. Hated it. Surely we have all coped driving without crashing before now by lack of due care which is what it would be about f you needed it
9. I’ve had it on an RS Audi and the AMG that I’ve just got rid of now. It’s nice but I’m not sure essential
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S