New to the forum.

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

JonD wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:29 pm Hello all,
I'm seriously considering switching my allegiance from BMW to Porsche and, subject to test drive, I could end up with the new Macan turbo.
I'll list what I consider to be 'must have' options and would be grateful for any comments:
1. Air suspension - is it worth the cash? tried both and settled for just PASM and 19" alloys
2. Sport chrono not needed on an SUV, but the new steering wheel rotary control saves you reaching across for centre consul switch. If you just want to break up the dash expanse, go for the compass & clock option
3. Power steering plus not needed unless you have weak arm muscles!
4. LED headlightspreviously had LED headlights on my E-class Merc, but settled for bi-xenons on Macan. Unless you do a lot of
country road night driving the now standard LEDs should be great

5. Auto dimming mirrors - can't believe they're not standard! seems an obvious pick, but i demo tested and found that the high driving position causes bo rear mirrors dazzle. 2+ years on and no regrets
6. Heated front seats definitely worth it, but unless you live in a cold zone / suffer cold hands no need for the heated wheel
7. Surround view perfectly happy with the reverse camera to place the car, not nicked a wheel yet, but be warned the rear bumper lens smears in wet / mucky weather
8. Lane keep - provided it's not too intrusive and can be switched off for twisty road fun. not needed. unless you're prone to day dreaming!
9. Adaptive cruise not needed, standard cruise is fine - unless you do big miles on quiet M-ways
10. these Macans are deceptively fast, they're so quiet and ride well, so do consider the speed sign recognition option
All comments and suggestions welcome.
Many thanks,
Jon D
Hi Jon and welcome to this friendly Forum, that loves to spend your money!

I switched from years of BMWs and Mercs and have no regrets with my Macan SD, even though they had much more standard equipment than Porsche.

My two penneth worth......is against your list above ^_^
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I have all of the above and my favourite is the air suspension, adaptive cruise comes a close second.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
JonD

Post by JonD »

derekm wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:07 pm 3. Power Steering Plus: I chose this in case my wife found the car hard to manoeuvre. It is cheap to add as an after market extra if you miss it once you have the car (which is what I did with my second).

7. Surround view: I had it on my first Macan but not the second. I miss it: I like to park close to the kerb and exactly within the white lines in a car park in order to minimise dings. Unfortunately, my surround view wasn't as accurate as the system on my 640D - an error of perhaps plus or minus 6 inches! I'd still consider it, though. The reversing camera is not quite as good, of course, but cheaper.

8/9. LKA/AC: I don't like or need these "nanny state" intrusions and would never choose them!
Very helpful, many thanks...

3. Didn't realise it you could add it after delivery - is it a software mod?

7. I currently have a 640i and would really miss the surround view; shame that you don't consider it as accurate as BMW's but I'll order it regardless as I mainly want it for reversing into my garage.

8/9. You're not the only one who doesn't like the LKA; I have it on my 640 and you just get a vibration in the steering wheel but it doesn't intervene so I'll rule that one out. As to AC, it's something I use a lot mainly in town traffic so that'll be a keeper.

Do you have HUD on your 640? Shame it's not a Porsche option as it's something I will miss but it won't put me off the Macan.
JonD

Post by JonD »

Many thanks to all for your comments - just have to find a dealer who has cars with both suspension versions as it would obviously be ideal to drive them back to back.
pmg

Post by pmg »

JonD wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:14 pm
derekm wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:07 pm

7. Surround view: I had it on my first Macan but not the second. I miss it: I like to park close to the kerb and exactly within the white lines in a car park in order to minimise dings. Unfortunately, my surround view wasn't as accurate as the system on my 640D - an error of perhaps plus or minus 6 inches! I'd still consider it, though. The reversing camera is not quite as good, of course, but cheaper.

The surround view camera facility is improved over pre-facelift Macan in the facelift versions. the parking sensors are still too sensitive which make using the camera essential if parking is tight.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Deleted User 1895

Post by Deleted User 1895 »

JonD wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:14 pm
derekm wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:07 pm
Very helpful, many thanks...

3. Didn't realise it you could add it after delivery - is it a software mod?

7. I currently have a 640i and would really miss the surround view; shame that you don't consider it as accurate as BMW's but I'll order it regardless as I mainly want it for reversing into my garage.

8/9. You're not the only one who doesn't like the LKA; I have it on my 640 and you just get a vibration in the steering wheel but it doesn't intervene so I'll rule that one out. As to AC, it's something I use a lot mainly in town traffic so that'll be a keeper.

Do you have HUD on your 640? Shame it's not a Porsche option as it's something I will miss but it won't put me off the Macan.
Hi Jon.

3. Power Steering Plus: I guess it must just be a software mod. I added it to my pre-registered S at a cost of £219.17 plus VAT, which I believe is a little more expensive than if you specify it in the first place.

7. I was shocked at the error in my surround view. The camera would show me parked exactly between two white lines in a car park but when I jumped out to have a look, I was off to one side by as much as 6 inches. I created such a fuss about this at OPC Bristol, they agreed to recalibrate it for me which is a complicated procedure apparently but it did not improve. On balance, I'd still choose it but set your expectations below the BMW standard.

Re HUD, yes, I have that in my 640D. I first experienced it in a pre-registered 640 (I've had 3) a few years back. When the salesman told me about it, I told him it was a gimmick and I wasn't interested. How wrong I was! I have since spec'd it in my next 2 BMW;s and love it. That and surround view are my first two ticks in the box nowadays.