Saying Hi / Car Play / TDI Tuning etc

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Astrograph

Post by Astrograph »

Hi Everyone,

Firstly I would like to say 'Hi' as a new member. I picked up my first Porsche, a used Macan SD from South London Porsche in May. I came from a Jaguar XF Portfolio S Sportbrake. It has to be said that in terms of the 3.0 diesel, creature comforts and the infotainment system, Porsche are way, way behind Jag, but the handling is fantastic. I love driving this car! I had promised myself a sports car when I turned 50 but family circumstances still didn't quite allow the loss of seats and luggage, however I think the Macan is probably the best compromise I could have made!

In terms of the engine and infotainment, I have made a couple of mods that have kept me happy. This is old news I am sure to many members but I'll mention them again anyway;

TDI Tuning box - I thought the stock engine was pretty unrefined compared to the Jag which on a motorway run would get 48-50mpg and averaged 38 (I run around London a bit). I was a bit disappointed after a couple of regular motorway runs in the Macan to never get near Porsches claimed 46, only managing 42 no matter how gentle I was. I was recommended the Tuning box by a former Macan owner. To say it has been a revelation is an understatement. It was a doddle to fit (and remove when the car went in for a free service) and even on the base setting the engine was noticeably smoother. I can't vouch for the claimed 299-320bhp power figures but it certainly accelerates with for more urgency than before. Best of all I get this with more economy. My average around town is still climbing but up over 39mpg now. On the motorway it has never dropped below 48 even when I'm not in 'economy mode'. On my last run of 140 miles on the M1/M25 I stuck to every speed limit to see what mpg it could do. It was indicating 55mpg by the time I arrived home! The kit is paying for itself!

Car Play - I find the OE PCM very lacking in functions and control. By chance I discovered a kit was available to update the PCM 3.1 to use Car Play / Android Auto. As I am an experienced installer of electronics I looked into it and spoke with Nick at NM Automotive who supplied. My iPhone 8 is running the latest iOS13. How nice it is be able to have Waze up on the dashboard, search through Spotify (and pause tracks etc (are you listening Porsche), and use Siri to call people / text etc. The kit integrates seamlessly with the parking cameras and brings a massive improvement to the original UI.

If anybody would like any info about either of these mods, I am happy to help.
Macan S Diesel

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Welcome to our friendly forum Astrograph.

Thanks for your informative write up, and on two topics which are current for quite a few members.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

I've just sold my Macan and get a Panamera R Hybrid tomorrow, so I've just removed me TDI box I've had for the past 4 years and can't recommend it enough for additional economy and performance. It's not that your revving the car all the time for max power, but when I removed it a couple of days ago I instantly noticed the car was having to rev more to get the same effect, so I was not gong slower, I was just having to try harder to do it - subtle, but there in every day driving.

I'm interested in your comment about accessing the cars cameras? I'm not quite sure what that is all about, so it would be good for a bit of an expansion?

I hope you enjoy your new Macan, I only swopped mine for the Panamera for a change until Porsche bring out a new model Macan and not just a facelift which is just too similar to the car I already had.

James
Astrograph

Post by Astrograph »

Hi James

Re the cameras, the setup for the aftermarket CarPlay provides integration with the OEM Parking / Reversing Cameras. If your in Car Play mode and select reverse the screen will switch to the parking cameras as you would expect. It will then return to the Car Play screen when you are done. You might think this is how it should be (and your right) but the CarPlay is provided by a separate box and board inside the PCM which has to communicate with the cars OE systems. As such it has been well thought out and in use operates seamlessly with the PCM system and controls.
Macan S Diesel
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

Thanks for the reply, I understand now - but I'm not sure why I would want my reverse camera on my phone?

If it were surround cameras and you could check it while in the pub then that would be a good one :D
Astrograph

Post by Astrograph »

Its not on the phone James. I am talking about the CarPlay integration within the PCM
Macan S Diesel
ultrabelse

Post by ultrabelse »

Thanks vm for the info. I’d be interested in more information about the PCM upgrade - where did you get it, how much, is it possible for a layman to install and did it affect your warranty?

I have a gen 1 SD with the original PCM and it’s definitely basic - one of the few negatives about the car. This sounds like a good solution!
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

ultrabelse wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:31 am Thanks vm for the info. I’d be interested in more information about the PCM upgrade - where did you get it, how much, is it possible for a layman to install and did it affect your warranty?

I have a gen 1 SD with the original PCM and it’s definitely basic - one of the few negatives about the car. This sounds like a good solution!
Take a look at the Porsche Equipment site: https://content.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/tequipment/TeqFinder.nsf/TeqFinder?ReadForm&ma=PCGB%20(RL)&co=30&sp=1&cati=LP_Navigation%20und%20Kommunikation&ac=product&ba=Macan&bt=Macan%20I&mo=Macan%20S&pr=83FCBFBC2693A6CBC12580670036F269

Not possible for DIY.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
ultrabelse

Post by ultrabelse »

Thanks, the tequipment software upgrade is for cars >=2016 (which is PCM 4.0 I believe?)

I have a 2014 Macan with PCM 3.1 and this is the only solution I’ve seen to upgrade this first PCM version to CarPlay unless I’ve got my PCM versions confused (a real possibility!)
RAA

Post by RAA »

I'm new to Porsche (now have a new, facelifted Macan S since May) and I'm totally ignorant of tuning boxes/chips etc..

Is this TDI meant for diesel only ? If so, can anyone recommend something similar for the new petrol Macan S, please (to improve mpg and performance) ?