New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
neilj007

Post by neilj007 »

TDI-Tuning is the name of the company - they also cater for petrol
Macan
Taycan Turbo

Guy

Post by Guy »

ultrabelse wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:09 am I have a 2014 Macan with PCM 3.1 and this is the only solution I’ve seen to upgrade this first PCM version to CarPlay unless I’ve got my PCM versions confused (a real possibility!)
No, you're spot on. The NM Automotive upgrade being referred to is for the older PCM3.1 - see here: https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto
Leesparky

Post by Leesparky »

Astrograph wrote:Hi Everyone,

Firstly I would like to say 'Hi' as a new member. I picked up my first Porsche, a used Macan SD from South London Porsche in May. I came from a Jaguar XF Portfolio S Sportbrake. It has to be said that in terms of the 3.0 diesel, creature comforts and the infotainment system, Porsche are way, way behind Jag, but the handling is fantastic. I love driving this car! I had promised myself a sports car when I turned 50 but family circumstances still didn't quite allow the loss of seats and luggage, however I think the Macan is probably the best compromise I could have made!

In terms of the engine and infotainment, I have made a couple of mods that have kept me happy. This is old news I am sure to many members but I'll mention them again anyway;

TDI Tuning box - I thought the stock engine was pretty unrefined compared to the Jag which on a motorway run would get 48-50mpg and averaged 38 (I run around London a bit). I was a bit disappointed after a couple of regular motorway runs in the Macan to never get near Porsches claimed 46, only managing 42 no matter how gentle I was. I was recommended the Tuning box by a former Macan owner. To say it has been a revelation is an understatement. It was a doddle to fit (and remove when the car went in for a free service) and even on the base setting the engine was noticeably smoother. I can't vouch for the claimed 299-320bhp power figures but it certainly accelerates with for more urgency than before. Best of all I get this with more economy. My average around town is still climbing but up over 39mpg now. On the motorway it has never dropped below 48 even when I'm not in 'economy mode'. On my last run of 140 miles on the M1/M25 I stuck to every speed limit to see what mpg it could do. It was indicating 55mpg by the time I arrived home! The kit is paying for itself!

Car Play - I find the OE PCM very lacking in functions and control. By chance I discovered a kit was available to update the PCM 3.1 to use Car Play / Android Auto. As I am an experienced installer of electronics I looked into it and spoke with Nick at NM Automotive who supplied. My iPhone 8 is running the latest iOS13. How nice it is be able to have Waze up on the dashboard, search through Spotify (and pause tracks etc (are you listening Porsche), and use Siri to call people / text etc. The kit integrates seamlessly with the parking cameras and brings a massive improvement to the original UI.

If anybody would like any info about either of these mods, I am happy to help.
Welcome!
Newish Macan SD owner here too. Bought mine in June.

CarPlay was already on mine, so I know how good/useful it is.

However, I got the TDI tuning box a couple of weeks ago and totally agree with you as to how excellent it is :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Leesparky on Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ultrabelse

Post by ultrabelse »

Guy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:09 am
ultrabelse wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:09 am I have a 2014 Macan with PCM 3.1 and this is the only solution I’ve seen to upgrade this first PCM version to CarPlay unless I’ve got my PCM versions confused (a real possibility!)
No, you're spot on. The NM Automotive upgrade being referred to is for the older PCM3.1 - see here: https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto

Thanks for clarifying!
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

How does this tuning box work with the Porsche warranty?
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Astrograph

Post by Astrograph »

Hi,

Well as far as the Porsche warranty goes on the PCM, then its gone. The upgrade consists of two parts, a box which does all the CarPlay / Android Auto stuff and a PCB which goes inside the PCM to allow dual connection to the display. Once fitted no one would ever see any evidence of the mod and activating the CarPlay side requires a long press on the Info key. You can’t enter it by accident.

However to fit the PCB requires you to remove the CD/DVD drive which has a warranty sticker across the area where it joins to the main PCM.

In practice thought the Update turns the PCM into something far more useful than it is as standard.

BTW, I’m an experienced installer of electronics ( but not Car systems ). Nick at NM Automotive was happy for me to do tne mod myself because of this. Normally he only recommends professional fitting. Based on my experience I would say the install process has potential for a novice to damage something. From this perspective while I think the kit is 100% worth it, most car owners should factor in the £350-400 a profesional company would charge to fit it.
Macan S Diesel
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Sorry, I meant the TDi tuning box, I already have CarPlay
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Astrograph

Post by Astrograph »

CarPlay / Android Auto kit is available from Nick at NM Automotive. Circa £500 inc Vat. I have posted elsewhere about install. IF you are a competant installer of electronics as I am then Nick is happy to let you fit it but otherwise seek a pro install which is £350-400. You need a vent removal tool to take the trim off. The PCM is removed and a new PCB added plus a small box which lives above the glovebox.

To fit the PCB you should use an anti-static mat. Basically having fitted the kit, I can see potential for a DIY install to cause damage. Unless you have done something similar I would let someone else do it but its worth it.
Macan S Diesel
Leesparky

Post by Leesparky »

Kleynie wrote:Sorry, I meant the TDi tuning box, I already have CarPlay
I would imagine it would void the warranty. However, I plan to unplug the Tuning Box before any service or warranty visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marmaduke

Post by marmaduke »

jesim1 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:22 pm I've just sold my Macan and get a Panamera R Hybrid tomorrow, so I've just removed me TDI box I've had for the past 4 years and can't recommend it enough for additional economy and performance. It's not that your revving the car all the time for max power, but when I removed it a couple of days ago I instantly noticed the car was having to rev more to get the same effect, so I was not gong slower, I was just having to try harder to do it - subtle, but there in every day driving.

I'm interested in your comment about accessing the cars cameras? I'm not quite sure what that is all about, so it would be good for a bit of an expansion?

I hope you enjoy your new Macan, I only swopped mine for the Panamera for a change until Porsche bring out a new model Macan and not just a facelift which is just too similar to the car I already had.

James
Hi just read post and wanted to know if you are selling your TDI box as I may me interested.