Used Macan petrol or diesel?

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Dombo

Post by Dombo »

Hi all, potential Macan owner here. Currently have a '61 diesel V50 as main car, Fiat 500 Twinair runaround, and 996 cab for fun so not entirely new to Porsche. Macan would replace the Volvo.
I was wondering whether to go petrol or diesel - mileage is around 12k a year, mix of shopping and the odd motorway blast so no urban driving as such. We don't need to tow anything, but the V50 is used for carting kids stuff to uni 400 mile away and bikes (roof rack permanently fixed). I'd be looking at used ones around £25-£35k so i imagine 2014-16 plates at a guess.
Main questions would be, petrol or diesel. Any particular issues with either, especially at this age?
Thanks.
Macan S
996 C2 cab
Fiat 500 Twinair

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Welcome :D :D :D

I would say diesel - cheaper running costs and brilliant engine.

If mostly city driving you might be better with petrol engine as you can get DPF issues with the diesel engine if it is used for mostly short drives.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Petrol although your budget may dictate a diesel.
mschaffl

Post by mschaffl »

I would make it dependent on if you prefer sporty driving or comfort rides. I think diesel is better in comfort mode you are then riding between 1000 und 2000 rpm, when needing more power maybe up to 3000.

On the highway (beyond 75 miles /hour) the petrol is significantly faster and more powerful when you rev it to max.
mschaffl

Post by mschaffl »

Just an additional remark.
Con on diesel: dpf
Con on petrol: leaking oil as reported on this forum.

Pro on diesel: the 3.0 audi diesel engine is known as a very robust and long living engine, with an evolutionary hstory of many years.

See: https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VW_EA897 ( have to translate using google translate).
johnd

Post by johnd »

Not sure that you're going to get much of a steer one way or the other on this forum for diesel vs petrol. They're both great options and each has its cheerleaders. All one can say are the obvious things:

* Diesel owners need to be mindful of DPF (but that's no different to any modern diesel). But provided your driving pattern is not solely one of short journeys alone then it's not a big deal and not something most diesel owners are very conscious of;

* Many would avoid the 2l petrol as being marginal on power (for a Macan);

* Petrol mpg is not great;

* If you want to drive regularly at 90-100+ mph then you might prefer one of the more powerful petrols. These petrols also have better 0-60 times, ie acceleration from a standstill. But the diesels have pretty compelling mid-range thrust, eg for overtakes, so for typical UK driving you can argue diesel vs petrol performance both ways;

* Petrols will have a better soundtrack;
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Diesel can everything a petrol can do (except be a petrol engine) up to about 100mph for about 75% of the fuel. So if you’re staying in double figures get a diesel. If you want more get a petrol.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

I've had my SD since March 2016, I'm now on 54k miles.

I must say, at that mileage it's the sensible choice, I average around 35mpg and if I do a lot of motorway it edges 50mpg.

I drove from Bedfordshire to St Just in Cornwall and back in a day, 700 miles on one tank.

As said previously, the engine is pretty bulletproof, I can see myself covering another 100k in it easily.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6