First Timer and a choice to make

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
jone66

Post by jone66 »

Hi all, I've been following this forum for a good while now and thanks for lots of useful information and fun reading.

My dilemma is I will be buying outright with circa 50-55K and am really leaning towards a low mileage second hand GTS. However having never even bought a new car how much of a treat would it be to get the brand new base model with a few upgrades. So you see the dilemma? I would be looking at a model 2 years old and keeping for a further 2. I understand residuals on the GTS may be slightly better but anything is better than being divorced twice, residuals there are sky high.

Any views appreciated...Jon
1972 - MKIII Cortina 2L GT
Orion Ghia 1.6 Inj
Then got Married (Twice)
Nissan Micra
Peugeot 307 & 207
Kia Sorrento - Honda HRV
And single again so time for....
Macan GTS - Ordering after lockdown (1st new car Ever) :D

Makanik

Post by Makanik »

jone66 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:23 am Hi all, I've been following this forum for a good while now and thanks for lots of useful information and fun reading.

My dilemma is I will be buying outright with circa 50-55K and am really leaning towards a low mileage second hand GTS. However having never even bought a new car how much of a treat would it be to get the brand new base model with a few upgrades. So you see the dilemma? I would be looking at a model 2 years old and keeping for a further 2. I understand residuals on the GTS may be slightly better but anything is better than being divorced twice, residuals there are sky high.

Any views appreciated...Jon
How about a brand spanking new 3 litre “S”, with PASM, 75 litre tank, 14 way seats, heated front seats, rev camera, 19” wheels for just under £54k? Leaves a bit spare towards the first years tax!
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
jone66

Post by jone66 »

Hi Makanik, certainly something to contemplate, especially with regards to the seats and the raised bolsters on the GTS. I've not sat in the GTS variant yet so i'll check it out. A pan roof will probably be on my wish list too. cheers
Orion Ghia 1.6 Inj
Then got Married (Twice)
Nissan Micra
Peugeot 307 & 207
Kia Sorrento - Honda HRV
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

I would lean towards a better specced used Macan, if the other choice was a base spec brand new Macan. If cared for even at 2 years old they are still like new. You would appreciate the better spec more that the "newness". And if you are planning on keeping it just for 2 years, used one makes even more sense, in my opinion.

Happy choosing! :-)
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Caster

Post by Caster »

I’d go for a new one jone66 either base model or 3.0L as mentioned by Makanik. That way you get the face lifted version with bigger PCM, styling tweaks etc + not buying into an old look if that means a lot to you?

In addition, you’ll have longer warranty, recovery, tyre/brake wear etc + that new car experience - once again if that means a lot to you?

Downside might lose a bit more depreciation that way + driving experience of a GTS might be more your cup of tea? Can’t help re that bit but a nice choice to have and good luck with it.
PS....don’t forget pics of choice.
PPS...if you choose a new one, I’m sure the guys on here will be only too happy to suggest a few extras for you to add!
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Jone66, if you like changing cars get a used one. If you intend to keep it for years, buy new, so that you don’t “adopt abused pet” with issues.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

It is really nice getting a brand new car. :D :D :D

It is however also nice getting a "good as new car" and saving a lot of money.

If you plan to only keep the car for 2 years a good used one would probably make sense.

Good luck :D :D :D
jone66

Post by jone66 »

Thank you all for your views and I will certainly be back with my decision in the New Year. I feel there will be some test drives getting booked up ;)
Orion Ghia 1.6 Inj
Then got Married (Twice)
Nissan Micra
Peugeot 307 & 207
Kia Sorrento - Honda HRV
Kevthegas

Post by Kevthegas »

jone66

As I said on another post I have recently bought a 18 month old GTS.

The very well specced car came with 2 1/2 years warranty, service, full paint correction 4 x brand new tyres. The previous owner had PPF fitted to the front of the car. So to me it is nearly a new car.

Kev
2018 GTS
1993 968
1985 944
fcooke

Post by fcooke »

You’ll be smiling either way. I would test drive both if poss. Would be interesting to see if suspension tweaks on Gen 2 are obvious to you. To me ride And turn in on new model are improved but that depends on spec obviously. I also like the smaller GT steering wheel for the twisties that you can option.