Looking to buy

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
J1220

Post by J1220 »

Hi All, thank you for allowing me to join.

I started my car search in the classifieds of the mighty 911, a car I really like but soon had a reality check and realised it’s currently not the car for me from the practicality point of view.

I’m in the market for a high spec Turbo or GTS. I am leaning toward a Turbo as it’s got more power and higher spec as standard but understand the GTS is still a stunning car.

Hopefully you guys with the respective car will be able to share your opinions as to which of the 2 cars you own and reason for choosing that over the other.

Thanks

J

J1220

Post by J1220 »

Not sure if I've said something wrong, but nearly 48hrs and 200+ views not a single reply.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Sorry we haven't responded J1220, not like us!

I have the Turbo and love it as superb mile munching cruiser. It has air suspension and is extremely comfortable. It's not a sports car though, despite huge performance and amazing handling for a car of this size.

Originally, back in 2016, I started looking at a diesel and drove one at the PEC but then tried a GTS and was immediately convinced it was petrol for me. However, at that time GTS's were on 18 month delivery times whereas Turbos were around half that so my order went in for the Turbo.

The GTS has more of a sporting chassis setup, particularly on steel springs I think, so it's up to you which way you go. Both cars have more performance than you can ever legally use on the road and I'm sure you will be delighted with whichever one you choose.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Dombo

Post by Dombo »

Hi. I am also a newbie here. I have a convertible 911 and am about to pull the trigger on an Approved Macan S.
As regards practicality, the 911 with roof down will sit 4 adults around the 5'8 - 5'11 mark. Four six footers would struggle. In winter just turn the heater to max and wear a woolly hat. Luggage space is limited though.
Now to the Macan. The S has the same boot space as my Volvo V50 it's replacing. Roof rails will take a rack and four bikes easily, and mine also has a tow bar so I can fit a rear carrier if needed. It is about 5 inches taller than the Volvo so getting the bikes up shouldn't be too tricky - on a Discovery I have to stand on the rear wheel to do this or use a stool.
As for performance, 0-60 time is on a par with my 911 at 5-6 seconds but the Macan has pdk which is superb, not even caught out by sharp uphill bends, and in Sport mode is a lot of fun. Compared to its rivals what finally sold me on the Macan was the interior. To my mind it just looked much better than the equivalent X3, Q5 or Mercedes. I also am a big fan of physical buttons. I find these much easier to learn to use than wheels, trackpads or touchscreens.
My new purchase is used - I did not consider Turbo or GTS as the S has enough performance and versatility for what will be our main car.
Macan S
996 C2 cab
Fiat 500 Twinair
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Dombo wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:36 am I also am a big fan of physical buttons. I find these much easier to learn to use than wheels, trackpads or touchscreens.
Great minds think alike!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

J1220 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:01 am Not sure if I've said something wrong, but nearly 48hrs and 200+ views not a single reply.
This is a small (just over 3,000 members) but friendly forum. The number of really active members are in the tens rather than hundreds or thousands. Right now there's just me and one other member online.

Despite the lack of size it is always a good source of knowledge and advice relating to the Macan (and also the 911), it just sometimes takes a day or so to get a response.

As you will see from my signature, I drive a diesel so cannot advise you whether Turbo or GTS is best. What I can say is that in more than four years of ownership there have been very few overtaking opportunities that I have not taken due to lack of power and I can throw the SD around country lanes with a smile on my face. Whichever one you go for you will enjoy.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
J1220

Post by J1220 »

thanks guys.....very informative.

Couple of questions on GTS vehicles:

How much of a difference does air suspension make on a GTS and is worth waiting for a car with Sports Chrono?

Thanks
bompey

Post by bompey »

Air suspension depends on the wheels. If you have 20's then you don't need air suspension, but if you have 21's you would be better with it. If you plan to tow then you may also want air. The sweet spot from a handling point of view was always meant to be 20's with no air.

Sports chrono is the extra newbie buyers want but in reality its not necessary. I used it at the PEC day but otherwise I have it on 2 of my Porsches and never use it on the roads. I doubt I would order it from new again but if you go on track then it is useful.
Macan 1 - jet black turbo with 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 2 - volcano grey GTS with black 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 3 - dolomite silver GTS loving it
also 981 Boxster S
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Air suspension is a personal taste. Don’t agree it’s essential with 21” wheels as the Ride is very good. Some also feel air can be a bit floaty. Springs for me which are adjustable on the GTS anyway.
J1220

Post by J1220 »

MCDK wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:27 pm Air suspension is a personal taste. Don’t agree it’s essential with 21” wheels as the Ride is very good. Some also feel air can be a bit floaty. Springs for me which are adjustable on the GTS anyway.
Are the springs adjustable on GTS? is it height or firmness?