Looking to buy

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Agree. Anything that annoys slightly at the viewing stage will become a big regret over time. And the seller doesn’t sound like he has been very straight with you, a number of repairs doesn’t sound like a well cared car to me.

Dombo

Post by Dombo »

J1220 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:46 pm
MCDK wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:25 pm Looks a nice car. Wouldn't worry too much about Bose as the standard sound system is pretty good. Would be nice to have sports chrono and LED lights though.
LED and Sports Chrono would be very nice indeed.

I prefer to buy from a private seller especially 1 owner car as i can get good idea what the owner is like. Lots of dealers source their cars through car auctions and other channels and doesn’t always guarded quality of cars.
At your price point and age of car have you considered Porsche Approved from an OPC? Full 111 point check, new MoT, two year warranty etc. Thinking you have a good idea what a private seller is like is all very well while he's on his best behaviour flogging you a car. Different matter if there's a problem down the line and he suggests you jog on.
Macan S
996 C2 cab
Fiat 500 Twinair
J1220

Post by J1220 »

Yes Gentleman, I walked away from that. Had I been told that it had as many repairs I could have considered it or better still had they not been smart repaired would have preferred to see a car in its original condition.

I have thought about buying from OPC and there is certainly value to be had from the 2 year warranty/MOT/Service etc. but this value is not apparent on all cars. E.G. this Turbo 2017 having 6 months warranty, been serviced less that 2k miles ago with a clean bill of health from OPC at last service. Had it not been for the smart repairs it would be a good saving VS an equivalent OPC car.

I have bought cars in the past and they have been from private sellers without any issues as long as common sense is practised and not letting the heart rule the head (easy to say when you have a PSE burbling away)

The search continues....
Paul

Post by Paul »

Can’t comment on the bodywork, but the jump on full lock pulling away is probably anti-ackerman (google it or search on here; well documented) and nothing to be concerned about.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
J1220

Post by J1220 »

Paul wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:11 pm Can’t comment on the bodywork, but the jump on full lock pulling away is probably anti-ackerman (google it or search on here; well documented) and nothing to be concerned about.
anti-ackerman it is. Good to know. Thanks.

On the Audi R8 it was more pronounced that in the Porsche almost felt like it was on tractor tyres.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Walk away. I too bought a one owner car, it was from an independent dealer who sells high end cars, in fact my car was one of the cheapest he had! The paintwork was spot on, but I think the interior had been abused a little as after buying I spotted a rip in the leather on the drivers door and a nasty scratch on the dash. I payed top end for it due to the spec and after a good detail and leather repair it is now literally as good as new. But mine was not covered in dent repairs and that would have made me walk.
On the suspension debate, I have air and 21” wheels and the ride is superb. I test drove a 2 litre with 21” and PASM (no air) and the ride seemed very firm compared to my car, so I would say the air makes a big difference in my experience. Also, something that is never mentioned is road noise, the air springs isolate the body from the road better and makes the car unbelievably quiet on the motorway. I do have to turn the sports exhaust off at high speed however, as the noise does get annoying. It’s great around town though with the exhaust burbling away.

One last thing, if you can find a car with full leather, doors and dash, it does make a big difference to the perceived quality of the interior.

Good luck!
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
J1220

Post by J1220 »

Kleynie: thanks for your input. I must say I do like the idea of less road noise. I have a VW caddy van which I use for work it has had extensive noise deadening work done to it. Is still wear earplugs when on long journeys.

Can some confirm if these figures are more/less correct. New car price as of 2017 GTS £58k and Turbo £64K
Paul

Post by Paul »

J1220 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:23 pm Kleynie: thanks for your input. I must say I do like the idea of less road noise. I have a VW caddy van which I use for work it has had extensive noise deadening work done to it. Is still wear earplugs when on long journeys.

Can some confirm if these figures are more/less correct. New car price as of 2017 GTS £58k and Turbo £64K
My GTS listed at £55 ish in 2016 so that would seem OK, although The Turbo would have been £65 odd so I would suspect a constant £9 - £10K differential.....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Yes think those figures are more or less right but both models will generally have had thousands spent on extras.
J1220

Post by J1220 »

As it stands with current vehicles on the market the price gap between the GTS and Turbo as reduced significantly.