Hello and testing driving a Macan tomorrow. Any advice?

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Westy

Post by Westy »

Hello everyone.
I'm currently driving a nice but fairly boring A6 Avant S Line Black Edition but my car before that was an RSQ3.
I'm hankering for something with a bit of pace and style, but wouldn't go back to an RSQ3 for several reasons, might have considered an SQ5.
A guy who did some work on my house popped round for his payment in a Macan GTS and after a quick chat he took me out in it, which started me looking at Macan's!
GTS is out of my price range but I have found a nice S D locally at a Porsche dealer, in jet black, spec as below.
I went to look at it last Saturday but couldn't drive it as it was in the workshop being sorted.
They've put four new tyres on and replaced all discs/pads, plus it had a big service recently so should be sorted for nearly two years.

Just wondered if there's anything particular to look or listen for on the test drive?
Two years warranty mind, but forewarned is forearmed!
Many thanks.

Exterior
Bi-Xenon main headlights in black including Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
Tinted LED taillights with adaptive brake lights
Privacy glass
Automatically dimming exterior and interior mirrors
Sideblades in exterior colour
Panoramic roof system
Black roof rails
Side window trims in black (high-gloss)
Transmission / Chassis
Power steering Plus
75-litre fuel tank
Wheels
21-inch 911 Turbo Design wheels
Interior
Comfort memory package (14-way)
Heated front seats
Interior Leather
Porsche Crest embossed on head restraints (front)
Audio / Comm.
Porsche Communication Management (PCM)
Telephone module
Compass display in instrument cluster

happy days

Post by happy days »

I'm sure others will chime in here, but the two major things to look for in an SD are the particulate filter if it has been a low mileage car, and the transfer box.

Low mileage cars will often require a regeneration to remove soot from the particulate filter, whereas our car on 71k has never been a bother. There's a test for the transfer box (others might know better) but I think its select off road, then drive off on full lock? Listen for clunking. Again, ours has no issue.

Ask the dealer about both of these. As per any other used car purchase, ask about accident damage, whether any panels have been repainted and look closely at the wheel rims - do they need refurbishing? Is there a full Porsche service history?

If all adds up, they really are a phenomenal car for their size.
Macan S D
718 S
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

I have a March 16 SD from new. The most important issue is its age and mileage, and has it had a new transfer box. Mine went at 35k and 2 years so if the age/mileage is around the same, ask if it has been done. If not, get a warranty for that from them.
Transfer box issues are the bane of early Macan's, look through previous posts, it's the biggest warranty issue, and would no doubt cost you a couple of k's if it isn't the uprated box.

That aside, they're great cars, mine's the best car I've ever had, it's coming up to 4 years old and 55k and I'm not changing it until 100k.

Good luck.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Westy

Post by Westy »

Thanks so far, it's an April 2015 with 55k miles.
I will definitely ask about the transfer box.
J1220

Post by J1220 »

Quick question: as its an OPC car which will come with a 2 year warranty would the transfer box be covered under this warranty?

would be good to know full details of all work they have carried out to bring it up to OPC standard.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

J1220 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:25 pm Quick question: as its an OPC car which will come with a 2 year warranty would the transfer box be covered under this warranty?
Absolutely it would. It was one of the reasons I decided to take out a two year extension on my Macan. It's the same level of cover on a pre-owned car. Note that these warranties have exceptions for wear and tear items though, but a transfer box isn't one of them!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Westy wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:47 pm Hello everyone.
I'm currently driving a nice but fairly boring A6 Avant S Line Black Edition but my car before that was an RSQ3.
I'm hankering for something with a bit of pace and style, but wouldn't go back to an RSQ3 for several reasons, might have considered an SQ5.
A guy who did some work on my house popped round for his payment in a Macan GTS and after a quick chat he took me out in it, which started me looking at Macan's!
GTS is out of my price range but I have found a nice S D locally at a Porsche dealer, in jet black, spec as below.
I went to look at it last Saturday but couldn't drive it as it was in the workshop being sorted.
They've put four new tyres on and replaced all discs/pads, plus it had a big service recently so should be sorted for nearly two years.

Just wondered if there's anything particular to look or listen for on the test drive?
Two years warranty mind, but forewarned is forearmed!
Many thanks.

Exterior
Bi-Xenon main headlights in black including Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
Tinted LED taillights with adaptive brake lights
Privacy glass
Automatically dimming exterior and interior mirrors
Sideblades in exterior colour
Panoramic roof system
Black roof rails
Side window trims in black (high-gloss)
Transmission / Chassis
Power steering Plus
75-litre fuel tank
Wheels
21-inch 911 Turbo Design wheels
Interior
Comfort memory package (14-way)
Heated front seats
Interior Leather
Porsche Crest embossed on head restraints (front)
Audio / Comm.
Porsche Communication Management (PCM)
Telephone module
Compass display in instrument cluster
The one thing missing from your spec is PASM (Porsche Adaptive Suspension Management). Because of that and the fact that the car is on 21" wheels you should make absolutely sure that you are happy with the ride.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Westy

Post by Westy »

Thanks everyone.
Had a good test drive and the ride only got crashy on a badly potholed/rutted back lane.
I avoid those anyway, so no problem to me.
Loved the rest of it!
Left without agreeing a deal as the numbers didn’t work for me but a couple of phone calls later when I got home and deal done! 😁
Hopefully collecting Thursday or Friday. 👍🏻
J1220

Post by J1220 »

Congrats....love to see some pics when you get it!
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

+1. Congratulations, well done and enjoy the pick up. We do indeed look forward to photos of your stealthy black Macan! :)

P.S. I and others have bought Macans on 21” wheels without PASM and been perfectly happy.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018