2016 SD

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Andyroo

Post by Andyroo »

After trying diesel luxury with a Jaguar XJ and getting bored, and then sporty performance with a Mercedes C63 AMG and having to fill up every three days, I scoured the internet to try and find a car that could somehow give me a taste of both—and I came across the Macan SD.

Every review I read and every person I spoke to said this was the car to have for diesel economy and premium luxury with hot hatch fun. Given that I couldn’t find anything else that remotely fit the bill, I called my nearest OPC who had an example that fit the spec and budget that had just turned up for sale.

Well, the car was almost perfect, except I really wanted the big 21 Turbo wheels, and this had 18s. But the dealer came through with an at-cost price for wheels and tyres that made this car the cheapest at this new spec in the country (the 18s are now available cheap to a good home if anyone wants them!).

I got excited and put a deposit down without having even seen the car, and then purchased it without having driven it, or indeed any Macan. Picking it up was more nervous than exciting as I realised the rashness of my decision—but I needn’t have worried.

Yes, this is taller and heavier and slower than the C63, but the handling on it reminds me more of my old Audi S1 and Clio 182 than it does anything else, and I love it. So communicative and chuckable, superb steering with a quick rack and great feel. I’m chuffed to bits with it.

I’ve been fortunate enough to own R8s of both V8 and V10 flavours, and I have to say, the steering in this thing may actually be sweeter, especially in conjunction with PASM. Sometimes outright speed isn’t always the be-all and end-all.

That being said, however, I do have my eye on the TDI Tuning box if anyone has any experience with it, mainly to try and squeeze a bit more range out of the 75 litre tank. Doing 20k miles a year makes the petrol station a pretty familiar place. Anyone had any issues with their OPC and the box?

Anyway, hello to all, and I hope to get to know everybody around the forum

Edit: I suppose I should share the spec really:

Volcano grey
21 Turbos
PASM
SportDesign package
Privacy glass
Cruise and limiter
Lane departure warning and lane keep assist
Partial leather
Heated sports seats with crest and memory
Heated steering wheel (the best)
Bi-Xenons with PDLS
Pano roof
Navigation and PCM
Connect Plus
Park assist with reverse camera
Last edited by Andyroo on Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
2016 SD, Volcano grey, 21 Turbos, PASM, SportDesign, Privacy glass, LDW and LCA, Heated sports seats with crest and memory, Heated steering wheel (the best), Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Pano roof, PCM, Connect Plus, Park assist with reverse camera

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

:D Welcome to the forum.

Given the mileage you do, one possible use for the 18" wheels is to put winter tyres on them.

No experience of TDI Tuning. Over 40k miles, my SD has averaged 35mpg with a best tankful of 42mpg and worst of 30. Mind you, four hours of being told that 81mph was too fast probably gives away how much I enjoy using the car's performance. :D
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Andyroo

Post by Andyroo »

On-Track wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:11 am :D Welcome to the forum.

Given the mileage you do, one possible use for the 18" wheels is to put winter tyres on them.

No experience of TDI Tuning. Over 40k miles, my SD has averaged 35mpg with a best tankful of 42mpg and worst of 30. Mind you, four hours of being told that 81mph was too fast probably gives away how much I enjoy using the car's performance. :D
Thank you! Truth be told I’ve been lurking a while, but now I actually have one it’s nice to say hello!

I did think that, but here in the south east it’s just not worth the hassle. I daily drove the C63 through the worst winter we had a few years ago so those wheels will just end up taking up space really.

Those figures correspond with my experience so far. I’ve heard the tuning box can boost economy by 5mpg which could squeeze out another day from the tank, but I just don’t know if it’s worth the risk of losing the generous 2-year OPC warranty!
2016 SD, Volcano grey, 21 Turbos, PASM, SportDesign, Privacy glass, LDW and LCA, Heated sports seats with crest and memory, Heated steering wheel (the best), Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Pano roof, PCM, Connect Plus, Park assist with reverse camera
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Welcome :D :D :D

Glad you are enjoying your Macan.

I find it a lovely machine for driving long distances.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

Welcome to the SD club. I’ve only had mine for five months and I’m loving it. Volcano is the best colour.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Andyroo

Post by Andyroo »

ScotMac wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:27 pm Welcome :D :D :D

Glad you are enjoying your Macan.

I find it a lovely machine for driving long distances.
Thank you! My favourite thing is that people’s main beams don’t come straight in the back window anymore
Andyroo

Post by Andyroo »

Kleynie wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:24 pm Welcome to the SD club. I’ve only had mine for five months and I’m loving it. Volcano is the best colour.
How do you find the sports exhaust and sports chrono on yours?
spook

Post by spook »

Welcome,

Enjoy your SD, luckily it had PASM because I found that 21's without was not a good experience on poor roads.
911 C2 Pickup 14th April 2018 :D :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJN1HBF2
Pensioner Petrol S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMKHZF4 - Deposit place 11/11/14 - Pick up 09/05/16 - SOLD 30/08/17 :-(
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Welcome Andyroo,
I'm sure you'll love the car. I've had my SD from new in late 2016. It's got 21's on and they're great, even with steel suspension. On long motorway runs it can go to 44 mpg, a great saver.
Leesparky

Post by Leesparky »

Andyroo wrote:After trying diesel luxury with a Jaguar XJ and getting bored, and then sporty performance with a Mercedes C63 AMG and having to fill up every three days, I scoured the internet to try and find a car that could somehow give me a taste of both—and I came across the Macan SD.

Every review I read and every person I spoke to said this was the car to have for diesel economy and premium luxury with hot hatch fun. Given that I couldn’t find anything else that remotely fit the bill, I called my nearest OPC who had an example that fit the spec and budget that had just turned up for sale.

Well, the car was almost perfect, except I really wanted the big 21 Turbo wheels, and this had 18s. But the dealer came through with an at-cost price for wheels and tyres that made this car the cheapest at this new spec in the country (the 18s are now available cheap to a good home if anyone wants them!).

I got excited and put a deposit down without having even seen the car, and then purchased it without having driven it, or indeed any Macan. Picking it up was more nervous than exciting as I realised the rashness of my decision—but I needn’t have worried.

Yes, this is taller and heavier and slower than the C63, but the handling on it reminds me more of my old Audi S1 and Clio 182 than it does anything else, and I love it. So communicative and chuckable, superb steering with a quick rack and great feel. I’m chuffed to bits with it.

I’ve been fortunate enough to own R8s of both V8 and V10 flavours, and I have to say, the steering in this thing may actually be sweeter, especially in conjunction with PASM. Sometimes outright speed isn’t always the be-all and end-all.

That being said, however, I do have my eye on the TDI Tuning box if anyone has any experience with it, mainly to try and squeeze a bit more range out of the 75 litre tank. Doing 20k miles a year makes the petrol station a pretty familiar place. Anyone had any issues with their OPC and the box?

Anyway, hello to all, and I hope to get to know everybody around the forum

Edit: I suppose I should share the spec really:

Volcano grey
21 Turbos
PASM
SportDesign package
Privacy glass
Cruise and limiter
Lane departure warning and lane keep assist
Partial leather
Heated sports seats with crest and memory
Heated steering wheel (the best)
Bi-Xenons with PDLS
Pano roof
Navigation and PCM
Connect Plus
Park assist with reverse camera
Welcome! (Another SD owner [2017] here!)

I had the TDI tuning box fitted a couple of months ago (get the Bluetooth version, it’s worth the extra). It’s excellent. Has 1-7 settings and I just leave it on setting 1 as it’s better fuel efficiency and also faster too!

Tried setting 7 in Sports Plus and it’s definitely an SQ 5 eater on that setting - believe me! :)

Regarding warranty; yes, it affects it (my OPC in Reading gave me a friendly warning telling me to take the box off before bringing it in for any warranty work).

So, enjoy! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk