2016 SD

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Andyroo

Post by Andyroo »

johnd wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:23 am Aren't most manufacturers going down the pack route, especially over the past few months? I see two reasons cited:

Stricter emissions rules seem to have come into effect recently. 'Stricter' in the sense that the car makers have less latitude to offer options that might affect emissions (eg extra weight, rolling resistance etc) without specifically testing the emissions on that variant. So options are grouped within packs or trim levels to lessen the amount of testing needed.

Second, all makers are under serious cost pressure. One of the ways they can reduce production costs is by offering fewer custom or individual options, especially by dropping the lower-demand options as separate items.

It would be quite a surprise if Porsche manage to avoid these pressures completely. And while I can see the downside of packs in reducing choice, they also have a potential upside in helping resale values, at least a little, especially if the packs are marketed in discrete trim levels - the higher trim levels will always be worth a bit more than the base models.
Interesting point regarding emissions. I’d never considered the factor of weight for each of the many combinations.

The reason I like packs is because a) they seem to offer more stuff for less, presumably because it reduces variation in production and therefore cost, and b) buying a used vehicle becomes simpler, knowing there are fewer variations available. I can see why people would be against them though.
2016 SD, Volcano grey, 21 Turbos, PASM, SportDesign, Privacy glass, LDW and LCA, Heated sports seats with crest and memory, Heated steering wheel (the best), Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Pano roof, PCM, Connect Plus, Park assist with reverse camera

Rab J

Post by Rab J »

A lot of the American Porsches are sold with packs which always undercut the items bought individually. They do occasionally do have packs in the UK but its always full price and is just a quick way to tick a lot of boxes in the configurator.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Andyroo

Post by Andyroo »

Rab J wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:36 pm A lot of the American Porsches are sold with packs which always undercut the items bought individually. They do occasionally do have packs in the UK but its always full price and is just a quick way to tick a lot of boxes in the configurator.
Even if there were three or four, grouped into comfort, tech, sport or something like that, I think it makes the whole process easier for everyone both new and used.
2016 SD, Volcano grey, 21 Turbos, PASM, SportDesign, Privacy glass, LDW and LCA, Heated sports seats with crest and memory, Heated steering wheel (the best), Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Pano roof, PCM, Connect Plus, Park assist with reverse camera
pmg

Post by pmg »

Another thought about the packs issue. cannot ever see the likes of Rolls Royce, Bentley, Ferrari and Mcclaren introducing packs. Top of the market customers want an individual (if I can use a term adopted by BMW) car fitted with precisely what they want and not prepared to pay for stuff they don't. Porsche are an inspirational just below that level of the market and hence I would expect to suffer if they moved to packs even with the WLTP pressures etc. BMW has moved more mass market in the last ten years
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Andyroo

Post by Andyroo »

pmg wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:46 am Another thought about the packs issue. cannot ever see the likes of Rolls Royce, Bentley, Ferrari and Mcclaren introducing packs. Top of the market customers want an individual (if I can use a term adopted by BMW) car fitted with precisely what they want and not prepared to pay for stuff they don't. Porsche are an inspirational just below that level of the market and hence I would expect to suffer if they moved to packs even with the WLTP pressures etc. BMW has moved more mass market in the last ten years
That’s a good point. I also can’t imagine a company like Ferrari finding any savings in grouping things into packs as it’s all hand assembled anyway.