If you like to press on, you will feel the extra weight of the diesel vs petrol
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S

bobajob

Post by bobajob »

I was in a similar position a few months ago and ended up going diesel for the following reasons:

Warranty / minimal risk was important to me. For my budget I could get a decent spec SD less than 2 1/2 years old with the balance of the manufacturers warranty plus the 2 year OPC warranty. I would have struggled to get an S from an OPC within budget -only options I could find were low spec, higher mileage etc.

Mileage allowance wouldn't cover costs in an S / GTS. I know I might ultimately have been better of because of resiidails but paying out of my own pocket for a business trip just didn't sit well with me

A lot of my business miles are on the motorway - SD's natural habitat

My previous car was a Hyundai Santa Fe so was looking for another practical SUV but more up-market.

I like the laidback torque characteristics of a big diesel engine

I tow a caravan so the torque is a real benefit

I love my SD and it works for me, although I probably have differing expectations to many on this forum. If you're coming from a 911 or Boxster then I can see how the diesel may not be for you. I did have a new Cayenne S for a weekend and much as I loved it the engine didn't make me feel as though I should change the Macan. Great to see some positive comments in support of the SD on this thread. I was starting to think I'd bought a pup!

I think residuals will hold up reasonably well, medium - large SUVs are still predominantly diesel. I believe Audi have just switched the SQ5 from petrol to diesel and the F-pace 3ltr diesel is still selling well so there must be a future for diesels that are euro6 (anyway that's what I'm telling myself!)

Anyway good luck with your dilemma. I think the reason it's tricky is that there is no wrong decision just one may suit you better than the other.

Bob
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I test drove the Macan S petrol and thought it a little under powered in the lower revs. I bought a Macan SD with sports exhaust and I think it’s the perfect car, efficient, torquey and makes a decent noise. I took the diesel badges off and my friends actually thought it was petrol, such is the noise.
However, good luck finding a diesel with sports exhaust!
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
stag74

Post by stag74 »

Thanks for the comments the swingometer is swung to the diesel presently. It would be different if the usage was to be personal and not business.
Regarding sports exhaust, my local main dealer actually has one with the sports exhaust!!
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

stag74 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:09 pm Regarding sports exhaust, my local main dealer actually has one with the sports exhaust!!
Buy it!
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Kleynie wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:14 pm
stag74 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:09 pm Regarding sports exhaust, my local main dealer actually has one with the sports exhaust!!
Buy it!
+1.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
mschaffl

Post by mschaffl »

Running the Diesel engine I am saving minimum €1600 / year in fuel and taxes + the € 5000 the new diesel car was cheaper compared to the Macan S petrol, which makes after the 3 years I own the car € 9800. Compared to the GTS one would have to add several thousend €.

In this time I did about 6% win on the stock market, which makes €10388 savings.

Given the excellent torque of the car, which in most daily situations is much more important than the max. power in high revs, this makes the diesel the better car for me personally.

The argument of resale value is imho wrong, the more you spend, the more you will loose. Just take the example of a Dacia. The percentage you will loose is high but the absolute value is very low. Which means the cheaper the car the less is loss when selling.

These numbers of course are only valid for my country.
mschaffl

Post by mschaffl »

Tracky wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:41 pm If you like to press on, you will feel the extra weight of the diesel vs petrol
Macan S is 2105 kg, Macan S Diesel is 2120 kg. I doubt you feel the difference of 15 kg.

GTS by the way is 2135 kg, so 15 kg heavier compared to the diesel.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

mschaffl wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:24 am
Tracky wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:41 pm If you like to press on, you will feel the extra weight of the diesel vs petrol
Macan S is 2105 kg, Macan S Diesel is 2120 kg. I doubt you feel the difference of 15 kg.

GTS by the way is 2135 kg, so 15 kg heavier compared to the diesel.
The GTS has more optional extras fitted as standard = more weight - compared to the S.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

stag74 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:48 am I'm like a swingometer, but the lower purchase price of the diesel does appeal it has to be said.
For the annual mileage you are doing :idea: then the diesel will be ideal. My SD averages 40 mpg on longer trips and 35 mpg on shorter ones. :)
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver