Macan Newbie - Porsche convert

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

March 2019 my wife moved from her much loved MKIII TT to a 718 GT Silver Cayman. I spent so many hours confuguring the perfect car and it is, we love it.

So we now have the opportunity to become a 2 Porsche household and having test driven an S 4 days before the GTS was announced we have placed our deposit on a new GTS. We have a March build slot with an April delivery - never driven the twin turbo, but so impressed with the S V6 twin scroll it can only be better - right?

We drove the 2.0l - not for us and having learned the lesson (not so well) on our 718 config we wanted to try to minimise extras - PDLS, Sports exhaust and PASM all off the list to keep the extras at a reasonable level - not so if we move to GTS :)

Below is our spec. We were debating the classic black 21", but Turbo wheels won out. Our 718 has the 20" sport classic - same wheel in GT Silver and it looks good, not a fan of black wheels, but tempting with sapphire.

This forum seems to be a like the 718 forum with good comments and advice, glad to join the ranks.

Current (unlocked GTS) code: PLMKDC74

Cayman.JPG

Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)

Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Welcome, you'll likely get a few opinions on your spec but so long as you're happy that's all that matters.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
LVision

Post by LVision »

Hi & welcome. Nice sensible spec for your new GTS and it will make a great stablemate for the 718. I'm not personally fond of/ a fan of Keyless Entry & Drive From a security perspective and don’t think it’s the best implementation on a Macan But each to their own. See you have also ruled out Sport Chrono, again accept its not for everyone but I think it is a nice to have and often helps with subsequent resale.

Am sure you are really going to enjoy the Macan when it arrives, April isn’t that far away and has the promise of better weather to come. Keep us all posted and don’t forget the photos when it arrives. Best regards.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome to our friendly forum! Your Cayman looks great, and congrats on your Macan GTS order! :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Thanks for the warm welcomes

In response to the options chosen - Entry drive - we have this on our Cayman and got this mainly for the keyless drive option - for more than 10years we have had keyless starts in our cars, this should be standard in my opinion, if it had this it would not be on the list. We keep cars for around 4 years so the convenience wins on this one. Security we have mostly dealt with by installing a metal key box inside our cupboard - eliminates the relay signal security flaw in the keys.

Sport chrono is an interesting one to highlight, we decided against this in the Cayman and dont really miss it to be honest - the steering wheel button aside. I would have thought this a less appropriate option in a Macan? Many on the 718 forum who optioned this said they would not do so again as its basically an expensive clock. Options are personal and I understand the button and sport response being an attractive option, but you have to draw a line somewhere.

I see on here many indicating that air suspension is a must for 21" wheels - we have driven 3 cars on 21's with air. with pasm and with nothing - all ride well and we were not going to spec pasm had we gone the S route (not on Cayman either, after similar comparison drives). We noticed little difference even with and without pasm - we do prefer a firmer ride and in sport plus you can detect a firming of the ride when on undulating twisty roads.

The performance and handing of this car is so much closer than I ever thought possible to our Cayman.

Having not driven the 2.9L engine I am keen to see if there will be a noticeable difference between the detuned turbo engine vs single turbo 3.0L - anyone got experience of this or thoughts?
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Welcome

Don’t you just hate these two Porsche owner families ....hopes sig doesn’t come out below ;)

Don’t see the point of SC on Macan. Barely used it on Mrs old 981S and keep forgetting I have it on the 992, even when I was driving it hard yesterday !
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
CliveH

Post by CliveH »

Welcome to the Porsche clan, great looking Cayman, love those wheels.

Personally, PDLS, Sports exhaust, and PASM were all on my must have list but we all have different preferences.

Look forward to seeing your GTS when it arrives!
95B.1 turbo in volcano grey with all the trimmings
987.2 Boxster Black Edition
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

kmacuk wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:46 pm March 2019 my wife moved from her much loved MKIII TT to a 718 GT Silver Cayman. I spent so many hours confuguring the perfect car and it is, we love it.

So we now have the opportunity to become a 2 Porsche household and having test driven an S 4 days before the GTS was announced we have placed our deposit on a new GTS. We have a March build slot with an April delivery - never driven the twin turbo, but so impressed with the S V6 twin scroll it can only be better - right?

We drove the 2.0l - not for us and having learned the lesson (not so well) on our 718 config we wanted to try to minimise extras - PDLS, Sports exhaust and PASM all off the list to keep the extras at a reasonable level - not so if we move to GTS :)

Below is our spec. We were debating the classic black 21", but Turbo wheels won out. Our 718 has the 20" sport classic - same wheel in GT Silver and it looks good, not a fan of black wheels, but tempting with sapphire.

This forum seems to be a like the 718 forum with good comments and advice, glad to join the ranks.

Current (unlocked GTS) code: PLMKDC74
Welcome kmacuk

Having had a Macan SD since May 2017 and being delighted with it, I've decided to buy another brand new Macan. Never had the same model twice before, let alone an SUV, but the facelift model has a number of useful improvements IMO.

I too was going for a petrol S, but the new GTS was announced the same day that I went to order it at my OPC. So switched and went for a March build with April delivery. The GTS will have a higher residual value than the S as more items are std fit.

I'm going to test drive the Turbo this month to get a feel for the 2.9 engine and check out some of the spec options.

I'm going for Sport Chrono as the "button" on the steering wheel will be quicker and easier to access compared to reaching across the central bank of switches to locate the "Sport" button there.

The Macan is such a capable vehicle. Fast, comfortable, luxurious, quiet, dynamic and with such great 6-cylinder engines and PDK gearboxes. We did 171 miles today in just over 3 hrs in my SD and averaged 41 mpg. I'd have a GTS Diesel in a heartbeat if they did one!
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
andreas

Post by andreas »

Nice spec. I'd add Surround View and the Comfort Lighting Package. If I wanted to keep the price down, I'd prefer those to auto-dim mirrors and SportDesign mirrors.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

I too am in a diesel - A4 Quattro and I also love it, loads of torque with MPG to boot, but the Macan is at another level and I would not even consider any other SUV and if this did not drive like a typical SUV it would not be on order now. I was pretty much blown away with the performance and more so the handling, I really cant wait.

Let me know how the turbo drive goes, I am holding out for a GTS test drive, which the OPC has promised as soon as they get one (extended drive too). Not sure I would want to risk doing the full turbo test drive in case it lead to disappointment.

Design mirrors I think look the part and give the SUV more of the sport look than the utility. I have heard the light pack is not great - could be wrong - have you seen/got this currently?

Surround view is very tempting as the anxiety of parallel parking and preserving the alloys are a real stress on the Cayman - does the GTS get the dipping mirror function - I saw it mentioned on the 14 way seats on the S, but not sure if it’s a default on the GTS without any add ons? We have dipping mirrors on the Cayman and I am not too bothered about it and manual mirror dipping would be fine, however I really like the auto dipping of the wing mirrors so the £252 seemed like a good option.