Macan Newbie - Porsche convert

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Welcome :D :D :D

We are still one Porsche and one TT ..... but maybe some day :D :D

VanB

Post by VanB »

The GTS is a great car and you won't be disappointed. I have had 1 Porsche without PASM and wouldn't have another so I would suggest you try one with and without especially on bumpy roads. There are so many options available that it is possible to go nuts and, despite what some people say, there are no "must have" options. Choose what works for you and enjoy what is, probably, still the best handling SUV on the planet.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Scottmac
We test drove the Cayman across 3 extended weekends – 3 different cars with and without pasm, all on 20” wheels, all we found that when enabled the firm complaint ride just got firmer and when compared to the non pasm we were happy without, coming for a TT on 19” wheels the Porsche suspension without pasm was on another level anyway so maybe that was why we were happy without. We basically found similar on the Macan S, without pasm on 21’s was fine for us, on sport plus it felt more like the Cayman and firmed things up well. The GTS has it by default and I like it that it does as I like the engineering and what it does regardless.

The TT is a great car and we loved it – we had the front wheel drive rather than the TTS all wheel. After we attended the Silverstone PEC day we discovered that the TT is a more of a sports coupe where the 718 is a proper sports car. If you never get to the Cayman on the drive do the £295 90min paid visit, it is the best car experience I have ever had and can’t recommend highly enough.
Previously we managed to negotiate 4 x Silverstone PEC tickets when we purchased our Cayman; this time we negotiated 3 and as we were planning a paid trip to do the 718 track day this year, before we bought the Macan we are now wondering if instead of doing the Macan PEC day we again do the 718 – ideally if we can do half 718 & half Macan (off road) that would be ideal.
I would be interested in thoughts of anyone who has done the PEC in the Macan and how good it is, particularly on the track.
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

They don’t take the Macan off road at PEC, track work only.

You won’t be disappointed, I was hustling 911s on the corners .... the instructor said you are really going to piss them off soon ! 😂
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Our OPC told us to do the Macan specifically because they did the off road section... so thanks for the heads up. You sold me on the Macan PEC day then, sounds like fun, maybe I can do the double as the 718 was all over the 911s when we last visited :)
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

I was told the off road bit is just for cayennes
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
andreas

Post by andreas »

Tracky wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:13 pm I was told the off road bit is just for cayennes
When I went, they said the off-road course had been specifically designed around the Cayenne's maximum limits, and that the Macan couldn't do it.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
andreas

Post by andreas »

kmacuk wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:35 pm Design mirrors I think look the part and give the SUV more of the sport look than the utility. I have heard the light pack is not great - could be wrong - have you seen/got this currently?
I have the Comfort Lighting Pack, and like it very much. At night, it adds subtle lighting in the door panels, door bins, footwells and roof, as well as puddle lights in the mirrors and bottoms of the doors. It also adds lights above the sunvisor vanity mirrors!

kmacuk wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:35 pm Surround view is very tempting as the anxiety of parallel parking and preserving the alloys are a real stress on the Cayman - does the GTS get the dipping mirror function - I saw it mentioned on the 14 way seats on the S, but not sure if it’s a default on the GTS without any add ons? We have dipping mirrors on the Cayman and I am not too bothered about it and manual mirror dipping would be fine, however I really like the auto dipping of the wing mirrors so the £252 seemed like a good option.
The £252 option you've selected is for Auto Dimming Mirrors, not dipping.

As far as I'm aware, the dipping mirror function on reversing is associated with the Driver Memory Package, which is on your current spec. In my experience, it's no match for the Surround View, which is superb.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

andreas wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:41 pm
kmacuk wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:35 pm Design mirrors I think look the part and give the SUV more of the sport look than the utility. I have heard the light pack is not great - could be wrong - have you seen/got this currently?
I have the Comfort Lighting Pack, and like it very much. At night, it adds subtle lighting in the door panels, door bins, footwells and roof, as well as puddle lights in the mirrors and bottoms of the doors. It also adds lights above the sunvisor vanity mirrors!

kmacuk wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:35 pm Surround view is very tempting as the anxiety of parallel parking and preserving the alloys are a real stress on the Cayman - does the GTS get the dipping mirror function - I saw it mentioned on the 14 way seats on the S, but not sure if it’s a default on the GTS without any add ons? We have dipping mirrors on the Cayman and I am not too bothered about it and manual mirror dipping would be fine, however I really like the auto dipping of the wing mirrors so the £252 seemed like a good option.
The £252 option you've selected is for Auto Dimming Mirrors, not dipping.

As far as I'm aware, the dipping mirror function on reversing is associated with the Driver Memory Package, which is on your current spec. In my experience, it's no match for the Surround View, which is superb.
Agreed on both
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Andreas/Tracky,

Thank you for the clarifications.

So if I remove asthetic extras - sport design mirrors and roof bars I can upgrade to surround camera. I am failing to find any decent video demos on the surround camera, but you have peaked my interest based on your comments/experience.

Comfort light I now need to consider as that too sounds like a good low cost add on.

Thought my config was pretty much done, I will be adding above and the GT wheel that I previously dropped too.