New Macan s is here!!!

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Ntense

Post by Ntense »

First;y, thank you for your thoughts and observations contained in the various posts I have had the pleasure or going through over the last year or so. Your collective opinions and knowledge have been very helpful in making my own decisions. Apologies in advance for this long post.

As a long-term admirer of the Macan, I found myself in the showroom after a minor shoulder op last May. My car at that time was a BMW 435i which I had for about 4 yrs prior to which I drove a BMW E70 X5 (35D). Looking to change from the 4 series at the time as I was just bored with this really competent (too competent?) car with a ZF 8 speed auto that was so effective and efficient in its execution to be almost boring. The BMW has a wonderful engine but the interior was not special enough and I was becoming concerned with the ride despite it having adaptive suspension.

Sat in various Macan’s and just fell in love with the interior, quality switchgear, seating position and general ambience. Test drove an S (Gen 2) with air and 21’s and was initially apprehensive at the slightly detached feel, drivetrain was good but throttle delay/lag apparent in certain circumstances which was non-existent with the 435i where the torque converter locked up almost immediately. X5 (6 speed auto) was quite bad. Drove a few 2.0L with 21’s and PASM and the difference with and without air suspension was quite marked in that the non air car felt more planted or connected to the road, or that I could feel the road is more precise however, I did drive an earlier generation S with steel suspension which confirmed my thoughts in that the steel suspension was quite a connected feeling in that you can really feel the car and road.

So, onto my main deliberations; wheels and suspension. I agonised on this for ages. I wanted 20’s but none of the wheel designs attracted me, had there been a 20” Spyder still on offer it would have been that and steel suspension. Looked at various cars with 20’s and well, they looked ok to my eyes nothing more but you’ve got to love it haven’t you? Wife loved the 21” Spyders and I had to agree but I was really worried at the harsh ride, I must have read all the threads here and on mananforums.com and came away undecided as this is a subjective point.

Had an extended test drive in an air equipped car with 21’s and thought, why am I buying an SUV? The answer was that in the roads where I live, London there are few opportunities to really explore a car’s handling and speed. I could rarely redline the BMW which is not ideal hence I wanted something that handles very well but is also comfortable so I opted for the air suspension and 21’s. The decision came after driving some very bad roads with broken rutted tarmac, the air equipped car on 21’s just glided over the undulations.

Order placed, in June. Had kittens over the Brexit issues as delivery was to be around the end of October although I could have walked away from the deal, I didn’t want to but could not afford the extra duty. Anyway, after following various ships on the marine websites, I worked out it was on the Malaca Highway car transporter (yes, this is very sad). Got the call and video from the dealer and went to have a look at it and was blown away.

Collection day in late October was as special as it could have been, it was my first new car and I loved the experience. Car was run in as per the handbook and now that it has just short of 2K miles I am starting to push it. The ride is wonderful on air and 21’s. Took a nail in the rear a month ago and was gutted, puncture in the middle of the tyre but had it changed.

So what do we like? I would reiterate that the suspension is on a different league from the BMW’s I have owned but the gearbox despite having that connected feeling in the absence of a torque convertor does exhibit delay at times, I am still testing this as it could be lag but I think it’s a gearbox/software issue. Did that PDK reset last week and I think that it did make a difference. The engine is still tight I believe but I don’t think that it is as good as BMW’s in line 6 B58 or earlier N55 in the 435i but it is early days. I find when braking and then coming back on the throttle, say when approaching a roundabout with clear sightlines, when you go back on the accelerator, there is this hesitation which I find unnerving.
The air suspension is wonderful in composure when pressed and sport is hardly harsh but just firm. The 18 way seats are superb for my frame, I found the 14’s ok but lacked bolstering on the upper sides but the seat base was ok. The lower bolsters on the 18 way seats are very high and you have to consciously climb over them which is a bit of a faff.

My initial summation is that the Macan S is not a sports car which it is often compared to but a great SUV that handles wonderfully and is very quick. I love the interior especially the pano roof. Did I get he spec right? Well, after all the advice here, I believe I did, I sometimes think I should have added the sports chrono but I believe after the initial novelty has worn of I’d hardly use the sport + as it is, the sport button on the console is just as easy but I don’t think that the throttle response in sport is as sharp as it could be. The surround camera is indispensable on this car for me especially due to the 21’s. I will report back when I have had a proper chance to push it. The standard audio is perfectly fine for me, heard the Bose which was a little better but I’m not a music person so £800 extra was not worth it to me. Should’ve had the side blades in body colour but where do you draw the line? It then gets into the now released GTS territory which I probably would’ve gone for as it comes for me at about £66K ish. Had to get the red leather key pouch though!

Porsche East London were friendly and great to deal with and I managed to secure a nice discount going through coast2coast cars
Nb, the 21” Spyders are a doddle to clean with a large wheel woolie (original version). MPG is dismal yet at around 20ish but who cares. The main thig is when I get into the Macan, it feels so special, I love it.

Spec:-
Volcano Grey Metallic
VU Black and Garnet Red leather package with partial leather seats
3FU Panoramic roof system
VW1 Privacy glass
6FB SportDesign exterior mirrors
1BK Air suspension with self-levelling function and ride-height adjustment including
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
0M2 75 litre fuel tank
47Q 21-Inch RS Spyder Design Wheels
1G1 18-Inch collapsible spare wheel
1NP Wheel centres with full-colour Porsche Crest
4L6 Automatically dimming exterior and interior mirrors
8A4 ParkAssist (front and rear) including reversing camera and Surround View
Q1J Adaptive Sports seats in front (18-way, electric) with memory package
4A3 Seat heating (front)
9MB Comfort lighting package

IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_0869.JPG

IMG_0868.JPG

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome and congrats on your new Macan! That’s a great write up! And your car looks stunning in Volcano, on the 21” Spyders and with that red interior! Enjoy! :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
putt4par

Post by putt4par »

Wow, great informative write up, good to see you on here, Your car has a great spec, very alike to my Mk1, lots to look forwards to, hope you enjoy your purchase.
kmacuk

Post by kmacuk »

Great looking car and spec. I had Volcano as my initial colour. I too wanted 20" wheels having read how harsh 21's were - test drive for me proved otherwise and did not feel the need for PASM so did not look to air suspension, particularly as I found the sport +2 PASAM setting preferable when I did manage to test it back to back
Arrived March 2020 - Sapphire 2020 GTS (PL17PEQ3)
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Nice write up and Volcano IMHO is a great choice 👍
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Welcome :D :D :D

Great write up and lovely machine.

I might try a wheel woolie... :D :D
Ntense

Post by Ntense »

Thanks guys, I will post an update as I push the car more.
ScotMac wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:48 pm Welcome :D :D :D

I was appprensive at ordering the Spyders having had similiar wheels in the past which were a PITA to clean but the wheel woolie is so easy, just ensure you buy a genuine one which does not have any metal in the construction, the rip of versions can contain a wire core that can become exposed and damage your wheel
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Ntense wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:41 am Thanks guys, I will post an update as I push the car more.
ScotMac wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:48 pm Welcome :D :D :D

I was appprensive at ordering the Spyders having had similiar wheels in the past which were a PITA to clean but the wheel woolie is so easy, just ensure you buy a genuine one which does not have any metal in the construction, the rip of versions can contain a wire core that can become exposed and damage your wheel
I'll give them a try. I currently use a smaller version, a brush and a sponge but do spend quite a lot of time keeping them clean. :oops:
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Ntense wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:36 pm My car at that time was a BMW 435i which I had for about 4 yrs.

Spec:-
Volcano Grey Metallic
VU Black and Garnet Red leather package with partial leather seats
3FU Panoramic roof system
VW1 Privacy glass
6FB SportDesign exterior mirrors
1BK Air suspension with self-levelling function and ride-height adjustment including
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
0M2 75 litre fuel tank
47Q 21-Inch RS Spyder Design Wheels
1G1 18-Inch collapsible spare wheel
1NP Wheel centres with full-colour Porsche Crest
4L6 Automatically dimming exterior and interior mirrors
8A4 ParkAssist (front and rear) including reversing camera and Surround View
Q1J Adaptive Sports seats in front (18-way, electric) with memory package
4A3 Seat heating (front)
9MB Comfort lighting package
Thanks for a great write up, your opinions mirror mine, from Macan No 1 to No 2, I went from just PASM to Air & PASM, brilliant for our awful roads. Never wanted nor missed Sports Chrono, wanted the Red interior but it was vetoed by Mrs B. 18 way seats first then 14 way, much easier for us old gits to use. Otherwise same spec as mine apart from..........

I ordered No 2 without Privacy Glass so I could have all the windows tinted as dark as legality allowed, which I did, much preferred the look, and at the same time had the shiny window trim wrapped in Black, a big improvement to my eyes.

Did you need an SUV? Well Mrs B decided we did not, so had a Panamera for a year, then Mrs B decided it was too big and we NEEDED a convertible, Boxster and 911 Cab too small, so now have a 440i hard top convertible, and agree with you about the B58, especially now it has 8000 miles on it. I may be back to a Macan in the future, however retirement and reduced income looms, so perhaps not.

Both great cars, try to do some Euroland trips, one suggestion - down to Strasbourg area, perhaps Colmar, cross into Germany for some de-restricted autobahn, into Switzerland through Schaffhausen (where you shoul buy a Swiss Mway Carnet) via The Gottard Pass (not the Tunnel) stop for a bite to eat, and onwards to one of The Italian Lakes, you will appreciate your car even more.

IMG_3241.jpeg

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Blobby

Post by Blobby »

Nice car and write up too!