Dash cams?

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
davewf

Post by davewf »

The airbag is an L shaped Bag, part of it goes down the A Pillar a the other along the roof . The examples where the wire is pushed in across the top of the A pillar trim could cause an issue if that airbag is ever deployed. That airbag is seriously large.

Just saying for the sake of two pieces of trim why wouldn't you lead the cable behind the airbag with all the other cables.

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I can assure you, if the airbag goes off a piece of wire up there isn’t going to make any difference!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
andreas

Post by andreas »

I fitted a Nextbase 422GW a few months ago; very easy to install and wire in to the fusebox on the passenger side. It comes on with the ignition, and has an internal battery which will power it to record for 10 minutes or so if the car's unattended and it senses an impact. Video quality is excellent. I had a few questions, and Nextbase customer support is brilliant - really helpful knowledgeable guys on the end of the phone. For best video, I added a polarising filter.

I can't see any way in which fitting a dashcam could invalidate Porsche's warranty. No court would support that.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
nick265sprint

Post by nick265sprint »

andreas wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:36 pm I fitted a Nextbase 422GW a few months ago; very easy to install and wire in to the fusebox on the passenger side. It comes on with the ignition, and has an internal battery which will power it to record for 10 minutes or so if the car's unattended and it senses an impact. Video quality is excellent. I had a few questions, and Nextbase customer support is brilliant - really helpful knowledgeable guys on the end of the phone. For best video, I added a polarising filter.

I can't see any way in which fitting a dashcam could invalidate Porsche's warranty. No court would support that.
I'm hoping someone is going to take them to court on it soon, they deserve it. Their attitude on none standard parts and warranty frankly stinks and this will be my first & last Porsche.
Black SD, Pan Roof,18 way seats, Nav, PCM, PASM etc
Avid car collector :D really should sell some ;)
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

“ I can't see any way in which fitting a dashcam could invalidate Porsche's warranty. No court would support that.”

I suspect Porsche has deeper pockets than you but you never know..........you could take a chance on a David vs Goliath legal battle.

I recall reading somewhere that the issue of non standard parts is mainly related to the extended warranty as this is an insurance product and the underwriter can apply whatever terms it so wishes. In any event, even if a warranty claim was honoured you might find that come warranty renewal time then the car would fail the 111 point check and no further warranty would be allowed; see the recent thread on here in relation to tow bars and An extended warranty........
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
andreas

Post by andreas »

Rigger wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:54 am
I recall reading somewhere that the issue of non standard parts is mainly related to the extended warranty as this is an insurance product and the underwriter can apply whatever terms it so wishes. In any event, even if a warranty claim was honoured you might find that come warranty renewal time then the car would fail the 111 point check and no further warranty would be allowed; see the recent thread on here in relation to tow bars and An extended warranty........
My car has a dashcam fitted and recently passed the 111 point check and they sold me an extended warranty.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

“My car has a dashcam fitted and recently passed the 111 point check and they sold me an extended warranty.“

Yep, but the point is that each OPC appears to make its own rules. One OPC wouldn’t put an extended warranty on my old 911 as I had installed an aftermarket AV unit. Another OPC did put the extended warranty on it so long as the old Porsche unit and associated bits were on the PAX seat during the inspection.

As for the Macan, when I asked for my dash cam to be fitted before delivery of the new vehicle the sales guy said ok....... but the workshop manager said no as they weren’t allowed to fit after market items as it would invalidate the warranty. In the end I got someone else to fit the cam and took the chance......
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
putt4par

Post by putt4par »

Rigger wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:30 am “My car has a dashcam fitted and recently passed the 111 point check and they sold me an extended warranty.“

Yep, but the point is that each OPC appears to make its own rules. One OPC wouldn’t put an extended warranty on my old 911 as I had installed an aftermarket AV unit. Another OPC did put the extended warranty on it so long as the old Porsche unit and associated bits were on the PAX seat during the inspection.

As for the Macan, when I asked for my dash cam to be fitted before delivery of the new vehicle the sales guy said ok....... but the workshop manager said no as they weren’t allowed to fit after market items as it would invalidate the warranty. In the end I got someone else to fit the cam and took the chance......
It seems at certain OPC common sense does prevail :roll: :roll:
mankey

Post by mankey »

putt4par wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:55 am Hi, Welcome to the forum, I have the Blackvue 4k front and rear installed. I installed them myself and it was not too bad to do. With regards to the warranty issue it is only the part of the car affected by the accessory that will not be covered, so in this case possibly parts of electric circuit or battery.
Others have indicated no comments to extras when extending warranty during the 111 point check.
Hi, sorry to drag this up but it's good to know you did so well with the Blackvue install.

I've just fitted a DR900 2CH to a 2017 turbo myself and it worked fine until I connected the rear camera. It interfered with the keyless ignition as well as the DAB reception. I disconnected the rear and all the problems went away.

Can I ask how you routed the coax cable in the tailgate because I think this could be a key issue? I took it through the right hand rubber boot and over to the top of the rear screen just below the plastic trim. While I was there I did notice there are some radio-looking modules at the top so I've thought about taking the cable straight down the right side of the tailgate to the bottom of the screen instead.
2017 Macan Turbo in Night Blue
putt4par

Post by putt4par »

mankey wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:25 pm
putt4par wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:55 am Hi, Welcome to the forum, I have the Blackvue 4k front and rear installed. I installed them myself and it was not too bad to do. With regards to the warranty issue it is only the part of the car affected by the accessory that will not be covered, so in this case possibly parts of electric circuit or battery.
Others have indicated no comments to extras when extending warranty during the 111 point check.
Hi, sorry to drag this up but it's good to know you did so well with the Blackvue install.

I've just fitted a DR900 2CH to a 2017 turbo myself and it worked fine until I connected the rear camera. It interfered with the keyless ignition as well as the DAB reception. I disconnected the rear and all the problems went away.

Can I ask how you routed the coax cable in the tailgate because I think this could be a key issue? I took it through the right hand rubber boot and over to the top of the rear screen just below the plastic trim. While I was there I did notice there are some radio-looking modules at the top so I've thought about taking the cable straight down the right side of the tailgate to the bottom of the screen instead.
No problem, its been a while, from memory I did similar but was the left hand rubber boot, had no problems, alas no longer have the Macan.