Dash cams?

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Mikesays

Post by Mikesays »

Hi all, I’m brand new to this board as i’m soon to be the proud owner of a ‘67 plate Macan Turbo (my 8th Porsche but first Macan, I also have a ‘12 981 Boxster S). I was perplexed when I asked the dealer what dash cams they recommended and whether they offered a dealer fit,
to be told that they discourage dash cams and they invalidate the warranty. Does anyone have experience of this, seems bizarre? Can anyone recommend a system that doesn’t invalidate the warranty? Many thanks and looking forward to sharing experiences
‘12 981 Boxster S, silver, black full leather, red roof
‘17 Macan Turbo, black, Black full leather, 21” turbo wheels

putt4par

Post by putt4par »

Hi, Welcome to the forum, I have the Blackvue 4k front and rear installed. I installed them myself and it was not too bad to do. With regards to the warranty issue it is only the part of the car affected by the accessory that will not be covered, so in this case possibly parts of electric circuit or battery.
Others have indicated no comments to extras when extending warranty during the 111 point check.
davewf

Post by davewf »

Fitted one and powered it from the rear USB ports, be aware that you really need to remove the cover on the A pillar to feed the cable down, if you just tuck it across the top it may effect the airbag as it goes off . Getting the A pillar cover off is easy start with the trim below the dash first, then take out screw located below airbag logo , this shows final bit https://www.macanforum.com/attachments/ ... pg.157001/ then you can run the wire behind the airbag and down to the fuse box or further to the rear to plug into the USB.

Getting to back together is reverse.
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

davewf wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:14 am Getting to back together is reverse.
Ha, you must have worked for the Haynes Car Manual Group :lol:
GTS \o/ - sold :(
Mikesays

Post by Mikesays »

#putt4par, thanks, helpful, good to know that if the turbo blows up they won't reject a claim cos a dash cam is fitted..! Are you happy with the blackvue instal?
Mikesays

Post by Mikesays »

#davewf, thanks, helpful tip
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

When I purchased my car the dealer would not fit the cam as they were not allowed to fit non Porsche items. Went ahead and got someone to fit it for me and had two power leads installed. One from the fuse box on the right hand side of the dash with a piggy back fuse and the other cable was routed to plug into the cigarette lighter socket in the centre console.

No problems to date but be aware that having such items fitted could result in Porsche refusing a warranty claim and/or refusing to pass the check for the extended warranty. I haven’t extended my warranty so no issue there. However, there have been a few heart stopping moments when a sun roof leak was investigated and there was much sucking of teeth as to whether or not the routing of the dash cam cable had caused the problem. To their credit the OPC accepted that the dash cam cable routing wasn’t the cause of the problem and honoured the claim.

On the 911uk thread there are situations described where people have been refused warranty claims as a result of having non standard parts fitted even where the non standard part is not related to the claim in question. Also, there were instances where people who had a non standard AV unit fitted had to replace it at warranty extension time. With my old 996 the OPC was happy to extend my warranty so long as the original AV unit was on the pax seat with all associated “bits” during the warranty extension inspection. But I know some OPCs weren’t this relaxed.
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
Paul

Post by Paul »

OP, Nick posted this a while back - very complete👍

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4740&hilit=Camera
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Mikesays

Post by Mikesays »

Paul wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:28 pm OP, Nick posted this a while back - very complete👍

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4740&hilit=Camera
Thanks for the pointer, Paul, much appreciated
putt4par

Post by putt4par »

Mikesays wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:57 am #putt4par, thanks, helpful, good to know that if the turbo blows up they won't reject a claim cos a dash cam is fitted..! Are you happy with the blackvue instal?
Mike, Yes, I have the DR900S 2 channel set up, I find it superb, the ap is also user friendly, the install did not take too long, even with the rear mounted camera, took my time and was careful with trim.