Hi, new S/H Macan owner with question

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Simonfish

Post by Simonfish »

Hello, Simon here with querie to any experienced Macan owner. Having bought a Macan sd 2016 model with 35k miles, love the car allround , I have been monitoring the engine oil level for about a month every few days just to see if there is any oil usage.
When I first got the car the oil level read max and green which it has remained for said month. Then suddenly I checked the level around 2 days ago and suddenly the gauge is telling me the oil level is above maximum and yellow and to visit workshop?
Oil has not been added to engine? . Could this be an electronic gauge fault - anyone else had this ? Love the car tho!

Thanks all

Simon

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Is it consistently indicating this? If so, most likely a measurement fault, dodgy transmitter or similar. Sometimes an indication like this is an electronic glitch that goes away. Is your battery fully charged? Low voltage can throw up some strange things.

In rare circumstances, particularly in diesels, fuel can leak into the sump and raise the level. This is serious and in extreme cases can wreck the engine so would be wise to get it checked soonest.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Simonfish

Post by Simonfish »

Thanks Nick, will get it checked out today
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

It depends on the angle the car is parked at, how long the ignition has been off etc. I wouldn’t worry until it puts an alert on the display.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

^^^ OP said it has Charles.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Little Urchin

Post by Little Urchin »

Never experienced increased oil level on our petrol S, however, I'm aware raised engine oil levels in modern diesel is often due to incomplete DPF cycling. If the car is switched off while it is undergoing DPF regeneration the fuel injected to burn material off is unused and sinks to the sump. This will be more prevalent in diesel used for many short journeys . It may be worth investigating.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Ok - he said he checked the level which implied to me he only saw the alert through an explicit check. I’ve seen mine vary a lot when I look at it but I’ve never had it alert on the dash without me checking.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Simonfish

Post by Simonfish »

Hi all,
All checks have been explicit checks, the car has not alarmed or alerted - anyhow took car to a ps who told me the Macan is notorious for this - if the engine is filled close to maximum level on oil change it can take gauge over maximum when oil gets to a certain temp and expands. Have now taken some oil out of sump and will continue monitoring.
Thanks for your comments
Love the car though😄