Hi! Cayman S owner ...switching to a Macan here

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
max99

Post by max99 »

Hi all,

Forum looks great and already got some great info out of it!

I currently own a 981 Cayman S, PDK with Sports exhaust ... LOVE it, the sound the power, the handling etc but times are changing for me and I need some seats in the back and I need to be able to fit more stuff in the back so I'm looking to sell and get a Macan.

After lots of searching I think i'm set on a Macan S Diesel , I do about 5k miles a year now but think next year this will be more like 7-9k, so want something with decent MPG. My 3.4 Cayman S gets 30-37 mpg on a longer motorway journey and it seems the Diesel Macan is the only one that will get this.

Looking forward to joining in the discussions

Cheers
Max

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Welcome :D :D :D

That is my reason for having the Macan - 5 seats, reasonable boot and still quite sporty.

30 - 37 mpg doesn't seem too bad for the Cayman.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Have you done the sums on the extra fuel cost of a petrol over a diesel on such low miles? It’s something like £25 to £30 a month so really would not consider diesel for that use. That and the fact some cities may ban you and higher depreciation on the obsolete model all add to the thought pattern.
max99

Post by max99 »

ScotMac wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:18 am Welcome :D :D :D

That is my reason for having the Macan - 5 seats, reasonable boot and still quite sporty.

30 - 37 mpg doesn't seem too bad for the Cayman.
Yep, it shocked me ... but saying that ... most of the time I go out in it I'll get 14-20mpg... all thanks to the lovely exhaust and wanting to hear it sing!!

What Macan have you got?
max99

Post by max99 »

MCDK wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:28 am Have you done the sums on the extra fuel cost of a petrol over a diesel on such low miles? It’s something like £25 to £30 a month so really would not consider diesel for that use. That and the fact some cities may ban you and higher depreciation on the obsolete model all add to the thought pattern.
That is a good point, to be honest most of the Macans that had come up in my price range were the diesels, not many petrols popped up, but it is a good point as I had thought about the potential depreciation, hadn't thought about the cities that may ban diesels, wonder if this will happen in the next 2-5 years.

Hmm food for thought for sure!!!
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

All Macan SDs are Euro 6 compliant so should escape city bans. Mind you there's no accounting for the ignorance of legislators in failing to recognise the difference between Euro 6 and earlier.

If you're only planning on 4-5k miles a year that's low for a diesel. Unless you only plan to use it for a limited number of long runs you run the risk of DPF(Diesel Particulate Filter) problems. The other major SD problem (it affects petrol versions to a lesser extent) is the transfer box. Make sure that it has been replaced on any car you buy or that you have a warranty that includes the transfer box.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Guy

Post by Guy »

On-Track wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:27 pm All Macan SDs are Euro 6 compliant so should escape city bans. Mind you there's no accounting for the ignorance of legislators in failing to recognise the difference between Euro 6 and earlier.
Bristol's planned diesel ban includes Euro 6 - it's specifically mentioned within the FAQs here: https://www.cleanairforbristol.org/
bobajob

Post by bobajob »

The Government has pushed back on the Bristol diesel exclusion zone. I believe the council have been told to gather move evidence and consider alternatives.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris ... en-4064341

Ultimately I think we will see heavier restrictions on all ICE cars.
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

This was my exact route from Cayman to Macan, right down to specs and mileage! Again, it was a head over heart decision, as I couldn't live with the lack of carrying capacity anymore.

That was back in Oct 2017. I've no doubt, like me, you will have moments of "what have I done", as the 2 cars are a completely different driving experience?

At times, you will miss that crisp, all encompassing sports car thrill (which the Cayman gives, the equal of the couple of 911's I had).

Then again, as a mid-size SUV, the Macan is difficult to beat, but as has been mentioned elsewhere, a switch to a petrol S (or even GTS), may be less of a 'transition' as fuel cost savings will be minimal? The diesel is a very torquey lump though (similar output to the Turbo?), so it can pick its skirts up and hustle along nicely.

Edit to add: You 'WILL' miss the PSE! :D
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Looking at the prices of SD's I would consider a cayenne Diesel S. Stonking performance and a proper luxury SUV.