Tracker

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Pbt

Post by Pbt »

Anyone had same issue that I have had with the tracker fob, if it's left within 10m of the car the car can be driven away with no alert sent to you, alert only only sent when the vehicles ignition is switched off and then restarted.

Towser

Post by Towser »

I can't say I've had that issue but I suspect that's how it works. In other words at switching on the ignition the system will check for the cards presence and if it finds it then alls well. I suspect it will only check for this at start up and not continuously.
GTS Collected Jan 2017! http://www.porsche-code.com/PHK34WL9
EviL Ras

Post by EviL Ras »

We asked the SE about this as the way he was telling us about this sounded like the key had to be next to the fob!

10m seems excessive too for distance. As it should be within the cabin only.

Not ideal if you have a small house or an attached garage!
Carmine and Partial Garnet GTS Delivered Jan 17' www.porsche-code.com/PHE2IGH7
Our collection video - https://youtu.be/B-HvzRYztqc
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

I forgot the fob for the 1st time in the 911 a couple of weeks ago. I received a phone call from Vodafone before I had driven 250m.
I reckon the fob would have been within 10m when I started up and left the property so think it probably is active for a bit more than just ignition
Macan GTS Volcano Grey 2020
911 GTS Cab 2015 (991.1)
davewf

Post by davewf »

I had this issue and it seemed very odd that you could take the car without the fob in it and drive wherever without an alert unless the car was restarted.

Strikes me as very old technology and a pain to the user. You would think NFC would be way to go. That would also allow the use of a phone as a token. I am far more likely to remember my phone than a fob that wont even fit in a wallet.
Pbt

Post by Pbt »

In theory your car could be driven off your drive to the other end of the country, put on a container ship and the only time you would get an alert would be when the car is switched off and then back on. Pretty poor technology to say the least.