Wanted: 20" non-black winter wheels and tyres for a MY21 GTS

Classifieds section for all Macan Owners.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:01 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:25 am
Coooler wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:58 pm Thanks again to all for some very useful information I really appreciate it.

Going to change tactic and look for a smaller set I think. PM sent to B737NGWS re the set he mentioned.
Note that SAC1's post says '18" tyres not for brake systems with callipers painted red'. The GTS has larger brakes than the S which is why 18" is not listed in the MFD on pre facelift cars. Also, 18" winter tyres are not approved for the pre facelift GTS. So there is an inconsistency here if 18" is listed in the MFD on MY21 GTS's. If I were you I'd do some thorough checks before you go for !8" on your car. Even though they may physically fit, if not approved they would be classed as an unauthorised modification which would fail an MoT but more importantly would invalidate your insurance and warranty.

A quick check on the Tequipment site shows that the 18" winter and tyre combination is only listed for the Macan and S variants, for the GTS it's 19 or 20 only.
Just checked my GTS' instrument display and yes Nick is correct. 19" winter is the smallest. I was going off my memory from my SD re the 18".
Thanks, all is consistent then Steve.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Coooler

Post by Coooler »

Hi all,

Just to round this thread off, I picked up a set of silver 19'' wheels from 9 apart yesterday (who were very helpful) that are in mint condition, ideal for my needs and were very reasonably priced.

Thanks for the advice
911 Carrera S: Awaiting allocation
Macan S Gen 3 22-
Taycan Cross Turismo 21-22
Raven Flyer

Post by Raven Flyer »

jonnydrama wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:31 am
ScotMac wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:17 am Snow chains are possibly only recommended on 18" and 19" wheels...
And I'm pretty sure it's a legal requirement in France to have them, at least in the mountains, shame as the 20s look great.

OP I wouldn't limit yourself to non black, you've just got to take what you can second hand (and potentially refurb later) as the second hand market is so limited.
It’s a legal requirement to have winter tyres in Haute Savoir. Many people ignore and use chains and the police are turning a blind eye as it’s the first year of being mandatory.

We’ve normally hired from GVA and all (CH registered) hire cars have these fitted.
Macan S 2020
R8 V10 Spyder 2013
A6 BiTDi 2016
jonnydrama

Post by jonnydrama »

Ahh that explains it, I saw some guys on the facebook group without winters but using snow socks in France. Do the hire places provide chains too? Considering hiring a car next holiday we go away as transfers have went crazy.
Raven Flyer

Post by Raven Flyer »

jonnydrama wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:45 am Ahh that explains it, I saw some guys on the facebook group without winters but using snow socks in France. Do the hire places provide chains too? Considering hiring a car next holiday we go away as transfers have went crazy.

If you want to see crazy, have a look at care hire prices. Hire companies normally get the excess production but the chip shortage means there are no surplus cars. Hire prices have gone from £35pd to £80 - £100pd for an AWD car (eg Octavia).

In theory AWD on winters doesn’t need chains but 2WD should still carry them. Reality is that you won’t need them with winters BUT if in a 2WD car, you could be turned around by Le Plod and refused access up the mountain without them.

Having watched an X5 slide down the road for 200m, summer tyres, brake pedal mashed, wheels locked, bouncy between Armco and traffic queuing up the mountain… I would never attempt it on summer tyres.
Macan S 2020
R8 V10 Spyder 2013
A6 BiTDi 2016