FOR SALE: High Spec 2019 (69) Volcano Grey Macan S

Classifieds section for all Macan Owners.
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

NSinc wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:04 am Maybe i'm using generic terminology. It had it first oil change then.... Service light came on, i booked it in.. Porsche relieved me of an excessive amount of money to change some oil.
I guess it all comes down to whether they stamped the service book or not.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070

Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

jaffacake wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:07 am
NSinc wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:04 am Maybe i'm using generic terminology. It had it first oil change then.... Service light came on, i booked it in.. Porsche relieved me of an excessive amount of money to change some oil.
I guess it all comes down to whether they stamped the service book or not.
Playing with words here, I completely agree with NSinc, it’s a service in anyone’s book! When I did the oil change the car had the all the normal checks, I got the checklist texted to me by the OPC, the service book was stamped and I was relieved of a wad of cash.

To be honest the service interval ‘issue’ is a huge negative in my ownership experience. Come August my Macan S will be 27 month of old. At this point it will have been to the OPC 3 times for servicing due to the out of sync oil change / service schedule. Oh and add on 3 trips for warranty work.
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
jaffacake

Post by jaffacake »

I think you were robbed, to be honest. It's great for the next owner that an Interim service has been performed and paid for, but only an oil change should have been required and it would appear a lot of OPCs are taking advantage of this situation.
---
2018 Macan Turbo Exclusive Performance Edition with all the trimmings

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10070
N111BJG

Post by N111BJG »

pmg wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:53 am
AllanG wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:48 am
jaffacake wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:06 am Why was it serviced after 12 months?
My 2020 model Macan S had its first oil change service at 12 months from new, as this is what was indicated under the ‘Service 1’ in the instrument cluster.
Jaffacake, under the GEN 2 models the period to 1st oil service is driven by a sensor on the cleanliness of the oil. if the car does few long journeys it can be very low. if the car doe s a lot of long journeys it can be as high as 20 k with a two-year time limit. Mine was still showing 5000 to oil service when at 14000 miles it hit two years old for first service check, oil and brake fluid change
Please can you explain what this view is based upon.
Because at just under 10,000 miles I was unhappy to see that the service info was saying oil change due at 18,000 miles, which is too long in my opinion. So I got it done at just on 10,000 miles by an Indy who did not touch anything else. There was no change to the info, the presence of new clean oil made no difference & car decided at it needed an oil change at 18,000 miles anyway. This is my work car & it covers 15,000 miles a year or so.
2023 Macan S in Copper Ruby Metallic
2022 Mini Cooper Exclusive Convertible (Hers)
2022 BMW R1250GS
2016 991.2 C4S Cabriolet in Miami Blue
2019 Macan S (Sold)
2015 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster (Sold)
2005 997.1 C2S Cabriolet (sold)
pmg

Post by pmg »

N111BJG wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:44 pm
pmg wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:53 am
AllanG wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:48 am

My 2020 model Macan S had its first oil change service at 12 months from new, as this is what was indicated under the ‘Service 1’ in the instrument cluster.
Jaffacake, under the GEN 2 models the period to 1st oil service is driven by a sensor on the cleanliness of the oil. if the car does few long journeys it can be very low. if the car doe s a lot of long journeys it can be as high as 20 k with a two-year time limit. Mine was still showing 5000 to oil service when at 14000 miles it hit two years old for first service check, oil and brake fluid change
Please can you explain what this view is based upon.
Because at just under 10,000 miles I was unhappy to see that the service info was saying oil change due at 18,000 miles, which is too long in my opinion. So I got it done at just on 10,000 miles by an Indy who did not touch anything else. There was no change to the info, the presence of new clean oil made no difference & car decided at it needed an oil change at 18,000 miles anyway. This is my work car & it covers 15,000 miles a year or so.
The view comes from the oil change approach elsewhere in the VW/Audi group about 10 to 15 years ago when they had had low mileage cars on annual service and high mileage cars on a different cycle changing oil well past 10k changes. Since then synthetic oils like Mobil One are more common. They do not go off with age only contamination. In addition, my own experience when the mileage to oil change comes down by more than mileage done only after journeys which are short and the engine not got fully warm to burn off contaminants. I admit that was with BMWs but they use a similar sensor to set oil change service as Porsche now does with Gen 2 Macans. Also, the view is backed by a few Gen 2 owners who saw very short milage to oil change after short journies during the lockdowns.

No harm is gone by changing a synthetic oil early but they need fewer changes due to sheer age and only contaminants produced by cold starts really reduce their performance and protection offered
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8