Moving to Porsche

All your ordering information here!
F1 Nut

Post by F1 Nut »

Hi Everyone,

Having been a long-time BMW driver, I have made the (sensible!) decision to order my first Porsche - a Macan GTS. I am getting tired of BMW depreciation, the recent backwards dash display is a no, and the new exterior direction isn't my taste either. I took a test drive in a brand new demo yesterday - only 12 miles on the clock and was thoroughly impressed. The downside being the dealer has no allocations until 2021 and the impact of brexit at the end of the year could mean a significant price-hike.

I did find it difficult not to tick options, but feel this is a reasonable spec.... code is PMAT8FI5. I originally thought I would need the 18 way seats, but found the 8-way version entirely comfortable.

Looking forward to discussing topics with you all in the future!
Current: Macan Turbo 2021 http://www.porsche-code.com/PM513BZ5
Previous: BMW 540i 2018

Makanik

Post by Makanik »

Nice spec.

I’d add Adaptive Cruise Control, which is a great safety and convenience feature.

Be prepared for lots of other suggestions from members!
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Welcome :D :D :D

I am not a fan of many of the "modern dash displays"
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Welcome F1,
That’s a big spec and looks sound, the Race Tex steering wheel looks good, no personal experience myself but some say it gets tired looking over time? Why did you choose to go with the PSCB’s? 🤔
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
F1 Nut

Post by F1 Nut »

ScotMac wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:38 pm Welcome :D :D :D

I am not a fan of many of the "modern dash displays"
The one in my current 5 series (2018) is great, it still has the 2 silver rings even when the ignition is switched off. But the latest version, for me, are over-designed. And as that is something which you see every time you drive, I just cannot go there.
F1 Nut

Post by F1 Nut »

Makanik wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:48 pm Nice spec.

I’d add Adaptive Cruise Control, which is a great safety and convenience feature.

The dealer mentioned it, but I just wasn't sold on the idea. Hard to explain, as I'm sure it's good, and I might change my mind yet....!
F1 Nut

Post by F1 Nut »

MikeM wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:51 pm Welcome F1,
That’s a big spec and looks sound, the Race Tex steering wheel looks good, no personal experience myself but some say it gets tired looking over time? Why did you choose to go with the PSCB’s? 🤔
I'm planning to keep this for a while until I stop being dad-taxi and can get to a 911. That's the plan, so thought if I'm going to order one, I'd make sure it had everything I wanted.

I've heard the race-tex holds up pretty well - I guess only time will tell if I'd make the right decision based upon how tight I hold the wheel :lol:

As for the brakes, whilst the wheels are black, I figure they would irritate me keeping them clean. I like a clean car and have been known to be out in temperatures below zero just to give the cars are wash. Plus I hate putting the car back in the garage after a wash, only for the next time going out for a drive, the pads have welded themselves to the discs and the car jumps forwards. Happened a few times, especially on the wife's X2. The dealer did question why I had chosen them too.
Rhys2004

Post by Rhys2004 »

A sensible move, especially re depreciation.Being well into my seventies I drive the 2 litre, but ordered my second one yesterday.I was lucky to get an October build date as a result of a cancellation.Gone for Volcano grey this time.In 21 months I only lost 5.5 k.I was especially pleased with that.I had a stock car before that had about 3.5 k of options.I think that helped with the low depreciation figure.This time I've gone to 7.5 of options, so depreciation next time will probably be higher.
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

As you intend it to be a keeper have all the extras you can and enjoy every mile
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

F1 Nut wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:31 pm
Makanik wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:48 pm Nice spec.

The dealer mentioned it, but I just wasn't sold on the idea. Hard to explain, as I'm sure it's good, and I might change my mind yet....!
Welcome to the forum. It's nice to see someone who has spent more than me on options :lol: .

The text below is from the Macan brochure. The key thing is ACC is the option that brings with it collision avoidance and emergency brake assist. For reasons best known to Porsche, these systems are not standard.

Adaptive cruise control (ACC).
This system regulates the speed of your Macan fully independently in line with the speed of the vehicle in front. A radar sensor in the front apron monitors
the area in front of your vehicle. If you approach another vehicle that is travelling slower than your selected cruising speed, the system slows the
engine or gently applies the brakes. This continues until the distance that you have pre-set is attained. Your Macan will now maintain its distance to the
vehicle in front. If this continues to slow down, adaptive cruise control will keep on reducing your speed, right down to a halt, if necessary. When the
road ahead is free again, your Macan will accelerate back up to the cruising speed originally set. An impending collision with vehicles and pedestrians is recognised, in accordance with system limitations. In this case, the system alerts the driver by an audible and visual warning as well as a jolt of the
brakes. It can also intervene in the braking process, if required, to reduce the collision speed or possibly avoid the collision. Optional for all Macan
models.

Some members who went for the Alcantara steering wheel reported that it did not feel so good after a year or so. I have no idea whether Race Tex will wear better. Whatever options were fitted to the demonstrator you drove, it's almost certain that it was a 2020 MY car. The 2021 MY is only starting this month for the GTS.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel