"Locked" means "Locked" !!!!!!

All your ordering information here!
DGC

Post by DGC »

Hi all, I'm new to this forum having recently placed an order for a Macan S and having sold my beloved but seriously underused Boxster S privately, as part of the process.
Having read a few articles on this forum I thought adding in a collapsible spare wheel would be sensible. I naively thought someone could pick one off a shelf and "stick it in the boot".
However, I've now learned that "locked" means "locked" and its not possible to add anything without a complete new order number, moving to the back of the queue and waiting until next year.
Anyway, i thought I should flag this fact just in case any other newbies are swithering or dithering before placing their new build order.
On the positive side, I'm really looking forward to the car and picking up various hints and tips about ownership and running via all you seasoned Macan drivers.

MCDK

Post by MCDK »

With mass production they can’t just send a wee post it note or email to wee Jimmy to remember to throw a spare wheel in that Macan when it comes through. Locked has to mean locked but at least with a spare wheel it can be easily added although at great cost. Worse if someone wanted to change colour or wheels etc after lockdown as then you need to decide whether to cancel or proceed.
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

This has cropped up before.

The issue is that it's a different base to the boot as it has a mount for the spare wheel. With just in time ordering of parts it's not easy to change once it's on the system. There's a lot of Algorithms at work in the supply chain IT.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

DGC wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:21 pm Hi all, I'm new to this forum having recently placed an order for a Macan S and having sold my beloved but seriously underused Boxster S privately, as part of the process.
Having read a few articles on this forum I thought adding in a collapsible spare wheel would be sensible. I naively thought someone could pick one off a shelf and "stick it in the boot".
However, I've now learned that "locked" means "locked" and its not possible to add anything without a complete new order number, moving to the back of the queue and waiting until next year.
Anyway, i thought I should flag this fact just in case any other newbies are swithering or dithering before placing their new build order.
On the positive side, I'm really looking forward to the car and picking up various hints and tips about ownership and running via all you seasoned Macan drivers.
Of course you can buy a kit, as I did - about £450. It's easy DIY to fit.

img-170114142315-0001.jpeg

IMG_7615.jpeg

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Remember that a space saver spare is only good for 50 to 70 miles use at 50 mph max. Only 3mm from new, so cannot be reused if you've gone the distance on it.

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/sa ... are-wheels
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

SAC1 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:44 pm Remember that a space saver spare is only good for 50 to 70 miles use at 50 mph max. Only 3mm from new, so cannot be reused if you've gone the distance on it.

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/sa ... are-wheels
I drove from Dijon to Droitwich on a space saver, on our first Q5, about 550 miles. Admittedly it took about 12 hours including the Chunnel, but the Space Saver was fresh enough once back and went back in the boot.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Can’t see a space saver uses all its tread in 50 to 70 miles!!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

The tyre industry statement on space savers:

Do you know the rules rules that apply to driving on a spare wheel – and how you could be risking a fine and your safety? Essential details here

"What are they: These are much thinner than standard car tyres and can be fitted to a vehicle in the event of a puncture.

Are they safe to use: Yes. Provided drivers are aware of the restrictions that apply to their use. Users must remember space saver wheels are intended to get the vehicle to a place of safety and not day-to-day motoring.

Is there a maximum speed for space saver wheels: The maximum speed restriction for a space saver wheel is likely to be 50mph.

Exceeding this is dangerous and could result in prosecution. The wheel itself should have a label or moulding that carries its speed restriction.

Is there a maximum distance for space saver wheels: There is no official restriction on how far a driver can travel on a space saver wheel, but around 50 miles is considered to be the maximum safe distance.

The tyre will have a shallow tread depth, compared with standard tyres, and this will degrade at a faster rate due to the narrow gauge of the wheel. Using a space saver wheel will reduce the car’s cornering grip by 10-15 per cent.

Tread depth rules apply to space saver wheels in the same way as they do to standard tyres.

Can space saver wheels be used front and back: Check your handbook, because some vehicles have restrictions on where they can be used for safety reasons. Never use more than one space saver wheel on a vehicle at any one time.

Will there be any difference in how the car drives: Yes. It’s likely the car’s handling will be changed by the non-standard wheel. This will reduce the vehicle’s cornering and braking abilities.

Can space saver wheels be used on motorways: It’s not illegal, but driving at 50mph is dangerous on motorways. HGVs will be travelling at 56mph, so a car moving at just 50mph in the left-hand lane is likely to cause a dangerous obstruction. Avoid motorways if at all possible.

Remember to check the space saver’s air pressure: The majority of space saver wheels have pneumatic tyres, so you’ll need to periodically check your ‘spare’ is at the correct pressure. Driving on an under-inflated space saver would be extremely dangerous."
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

MCDK wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:46 am Can’t see a space saver uses all its tread in 50 to 70 miles!!
Ours didn't 'appear' to use any, but apart from the Chunnel terminal and the last 3 miles, the whole 550 mile trip was on the Motorway.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
jk88

Post by jk88 »

SAC1 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:44 pm Remember that a space saver spare is only good for 50 to 70 miles use at 50 mph max. Only 3mm from new, so cannot be reused if you've gone the distance on it.

I drove 60 miles on the space saver when I had a puncture in my previous Macan and it showed no sign of wear when it went back in the boot.
Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17