MY21 Macan GTS

All your ordering information here!
Beau_BBA

Post by Beau_BBA »

Your spec is very similar to what I've ordered - I'd love to see some more photos Ghostwalker!

I'm thinking I may need to add the red GTS logos to my one also! :)

ghostwalker

Post by ghostwalker »

Beau_BBA wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:40 am Your spec is very similar to what I've ordered - I'd love to see some more photos Ghostwalker!

I'm thinking I may need to add the red GTS logos to my one also! :)
Not had too much of a go in the car yet - it’s only got 330 miles on the clock after 1 month! More pics this weekend definitely!

Just a couple of initial observations. Firstly, just driving into and around the city (Manchester) with the chassis in comfort, the ride feels a bit busy on the 21” wheels even with the air suspension. It settles down as you get above 40/50mph, however. But on the plus side, you feel like you’re in a car that’s really well hooked-up to the road - more of a sports car sensation than anything. This sensation is heightened when you put the chassis in “low” mode and flick it to sport+ with the louder exhaust. But rest assured I’ve kept it in the lower half of the rev range 😁

And about the exhaust - it’s really rather fruity. The startup is fairly loud with some pops in there and it feels a bit of a loud hot hatch-type thing on the move. A bit of a hot-rod. Didn’t expect that.

It’s really up to the individual if they want to go for the standard 20” wheels - you probably need those with the air suspension for a really nice ride.

Coming from an RS4 it suits me well. The engine is the same unit - punchy with torque fairly low down and lovely to drive. It’s not a GT4 but it’s lairy to just the right levels for an SUV.
Previous: 2021 Macan GTS Volcano Grey http://www.porsche-code.com/PMMW6S58
On order: 2023 Macan GTS Python Green http://www.porsche-code.com/PPQHXNI1
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Car looks great #ghostwalker.
ghostwalker wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:43 pm the ride feels a bit busy on the 21” wheels even with the air suspension
I regularly mention this 'issue' on this forum, but it generally gets pooh-poohed.

In terms of performance on a GTS, best to worst:

1: 20" air
2. 20" steel
3. 21" air
4. 21" steel

TBH 1 and 2 are very close, so will depend on your preference for air or steel. 3 may be okay for some, and the air helps sort out many of the issues with 4. 4 is absolutely terrible in my opinion; especially on a GTS with its lowered suspension.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

PaulR wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:34 pm Car looks great #ghostwalker.
ghostwalker wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:43 pm the ride feels a bit busy on the 21” wheels even with the air suspension
I regularly mention this 'issue' on this forum, but it generally gets pooh-poohed.

2. 20" steel
3. 21" air
4. 21" steel

TBH 1 and 2 are very close, so will depend on your preference for air or steel. 3 may be okay for some, and the air helps sort out many of the issues with 4. 4 is absolutely terrible in my opinion; especially on a GTS with its lowered suspension.

I'm probably one of those who would've pooh-poohed your assessment in the past, Paul, but now, having lived with the Gen2 GTS for 12 months, I think you're probably spot on.

My Gen1 GTS had 21" Classics fitted with Michelin tyres and air suspension and I found the ride to be really comfortable, with a noticeable difference when switching to sport+, which is why I never understood the whole "20" wheel good - 21" wheel bad" argument. However, my Gen2 - despite having exactly the same air suspension and 21" wheels (although this time fitted with Continental tyres) - was a completely different beast, with a much harsher, more fidgetty ride, regardless of the suspension setting chosen. The difference was so noticeable that I took the car back to my OPC and asked them to check that the air suspension was working properly (which it was), and in the end, it was decided that the difference was partly down to the tyre pressures being slightly too high and partly to do with the ride on the Continentals being harsher than the Michelins. Dropping the pressures helped, and I'm currently trying to wear the Contis out so that I can prove or disprove the other theory, but there's no getting away from the fact that the car still doesn't ride as smoothly as the Gen1.

I love the look of the 21" wheels on the GTS, but I were I speccing the car today, I think I'd be tempted to go for the 20" and air options.
Dolomite Silver Macan GTS Gen 2 (www.porsche-code.com/PLBT3XT5)
Rhodium Silver Macan GTS (sold)
hood69

Post by hood69 »

I've specced 21 inch without air tbh as previous comments from people on here that they had no problems with it and also a launch car review without air suspension on 21s and said it felt fine hence I was happy enough to go with this.
To be honest the state of the roads at the moment you would need hover power to get a smooth ride.
ghostwalker

Post by ghostwalker »

Hello, hello! It has been quite a while , but I have had a decent go in the car now. Only 2k miles in almost 4 months but hey ho.

Wanted to ask, first of all, though, if this belongs to one of you guys. White City Retail Park, Manchester, today. Looked like a Preston-supplied GTS.

Almost exactly the same as mine from the outside, except for the fact that the GTS badging seemed to have been removed from the doors and the wheels were the GTS-specific ones.

Unfortunately, I didn’t see the owner anywhere, but plenty of people were admiring the duo driving past 😁

592354D8-4C3B-4C6A-AEC2-D6FDBF215DEB.jpeg

Previous: 2021 Macan GTS Volcano Grey http://www.porsche-code.com/PMMW6S58
On order: 2023 Macan GTS Python Green http://www.porsche-code.com/PPQHXNI1
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

JohnP wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:02 pm
PaulR wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:34 pm Car looks great #ghostwalker.

2. 20" steel
3. 21" air
4. 21" steel

I'm probably one of those who would've pooh-poohed your assessment in the past, Paul, but now, having lived with the Gen2 GTS for 12 months, I think you're probably spot on.

My Gen1 GTS had 21" Classics fitted with Michelin tyres and air suspension and I found the ride to be really comfortable, with a noticeable difference when switching to sport+, which is why I never understood the whole "20" wheel good - 21" wheel bad" argument. However, my Gen2 - despite having exactly the same air suspension and 21" wheels (although this time fitted with Continental tyres) - was a completely different beast, with a much harsher, more fidgetty ride, regardless of the suspension setting chosen. The difference was so noticeable that I took the car back to my OPC and asked them to check that the air suspension was working properly (which it was), and in the end, it was decided that the difference was partly down to the tyre pressures being slightly too high and partly to do with the ride on the Continentals being harsher than the Michelins. Dropping the pressures helped, and I'm currently trying to wear the Contis out so that I can prove or disprove the other theory, but there's no getting away from the fact that the car still doesn't ride as smoothly as the Gen1.

I love the look of the 21" wheels on the GTS, but I were I speccing the car today, I think I'd be tempted to go for the 20" and air options.
Unfortunately, there's no published data on spring rates for the GTS but I seem to recall that the Gen 2 has slightly stiffer springs than the Gen 1. Given that the Gen 3 is to be stiffer again it will be interesting to see how buyers find it.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

ghostwalker wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:21 pm
Almost exactly the same as mine from the outside, except for the fact that the GTS badging seemed to have been removed from the doors and the wheels were the GTS-specific ones.
If you have the standard GTS sideblades then the GTS logo is in black so you get the "black on black" effect. I know because when I specced mine it was during the changeover from 2020 MY to 21 and the option of a coloured logo was temporarily not available.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
bompey

Post by bompey »

Unfortunately, there's no published data on spring rates for the GTS but I seem to recall that the Gen 2 has slightly stiffer springs than the Gen 1. Given that the Gen 3 is to be stiffer again it will be interesting to see how buyers find it.
Still to be confirmed but I think the new v3 GTS comes with air suspension as standard. Not sure which wheels it comes with. Interesting as I had thought 20s with steel suspension were supposedly the best combination.
Macan 1 - jet black turbo with 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 2 - volcano grey GTS with black 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 3 - dolomite silver GTS loving it
also 981 Boxster S
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

bompey wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:23 pm Still to be confirmed but I think the new v3 GTS comes with air suspension as standard. Not sure which wheels it comes with. Interesting as I had thought 20s with steel suspension were supposedly the best combination.
The 'Macan GTS Plus' has air with 20" wheels. That's considered the best combination on the current GTS. However some prefer the driving characteristics of steel over air so, for them, steel with 20" wheels is best. 21" wheels are generally for those who prefer wheel style over substance, and are willing to make a sacrifice. This may all change with the 2022 facelift as Porsche has tweaked the suspension setup somewhat. Some of the spy pictures are showing air with 21" wheels.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS