MY21 Macan GTS

All your ordering information here!
ghostwalker

Post by ghostwalker »

Hello & Merry Christmas 😃

Thought I’d join as I’m now in the process of buying Porsche’s biggest money-maker so I can pick up on any tips etc from seasoned customers. This is my first Porsche as I’ve been an Audi/BMW guy previously.

Soooo here’s the story. I’ve left my £3000 deposit with my local centre and am supposed to be in the queue for a build slot for an S - I was told to expect March build for April delivery.

However, an inexcusable omission on my part was not checking out the GTS in light of how I intended to spec my S - just north of £63k list so almost £14k of options. An elementary mistake, I admit, as we all know that the next model up will inevitably have more standard kit, but that hadn’t occurred to me in the first instance. In fact that spec is here if anyone is interested: http://www.porsche-code.com/PMT7F2A1

So now I’ve discovered that I can get a GTS I’d be happy with for £65k ish I’m not going back to looking at the S. I intend to contact my centre after the weekend to get this switched over and put in place. Still figuring out my spec but I welcome the 20” RS wheels, adaptive suspension and many other things being included as standard, as these kinds of things were costing a lot on the S.

I’ll post updates as I go but any hints/tips or questions are welcomed.

Cheers! 🙏
Previous: 2021 Macan GTS Volcano Grey http://www.porsche-code.com/PMMW6S58
On order: 2023 Macan GTS Python Green http://www.porsche-code.com/PPQHXNI1

Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Nice enough spec.

Plenty of opinions on the spec I’m sure but if you are happy or the equivalent GTS spec then crack on.
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Welcome to the forum.

A straight conversion (well nearly) of your spec into a GTS gives you the version below.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PMGINQB5

That's about £5k more than your current spec. The seat selection is the standard GTS seats. These are different from the base seat option in the S and you should check them out. The 14 way comfort seats in your current spec are available in a GTS but you lose the GTS interior so I would think carefully before choosing them. The 18 way seats are IMHO very comfortable but some people find the bolsters a problem when getting in or out. Given the range of adjustment that can be overcome but it's a matter of choice.

Good hunting.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
pmg

Post by pmg »

On-Track wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:26 am Welcome to the forum.

A straight conversion (well nearly) of your spec into a GTS gives you the version below.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PMGINQB5

That's about £5k more than your current spec. The seat selection is the standard GTS seats. These are different from the base seat option in the S and you should check them out. The 14 way comfort seats in your current spec are available in a GTS but you lose the GTS interior so I would think carefully before choosing them. The 18 way seats are IMHO very comfortable but some people find the bolsters a problem when getting in or out. Given the range of adjustment that can be overcome but it's a matter of choice.

Good hunting.
His S spec had 21-inch sport classic's not the 20-inch Spiders. so if he really wanted the 21's that would put up the GTS cost again and move the vehicle further away from the standard GTS spec which some advice against. Another point here has he driven PASM only cars with 20 and 21 wheels because of the latter's impact on ride quality. going for 21'shas put his cost up about£600 cf say 20-inch gloss black turbo's 20 spiders not being available for an S.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I kept the 20" GTS wheels because the OP said he welcomed them being standard.

I had used the configurator facility to change models from S to GTS but found it did not stick as promised to the original spec where possible. I failed to spot it had added the Race Tex roof lining and aluminium gear selector which together added approx £1k.

I made the "new" spec as a discussion point. It seems to have worked. :)
Peter

ghostwalker

Post by ghostwalker »

pmg wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:33 am [quote=On-Track post_id=204589 time=<a href="tel:1608974768">1608974768</a> user_id=699]
Welcome to the forum.

<a class="vglnk" href="http://www.porsche-code.com/PMGINQB5" rel="nofollow"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>porsche</span><span>-</span><span>code</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>PMGINQB5</span></a>

Good hunting.
His S spec had 21-inch sport classic's not the 20-inch Spiders. so if he really wanted the 21's that would put up the GTS cost again and move the vehicle further away from the standard GTS spec which some advice against. Another point here has he driven PASM only cars with 20 and 21 wheels because of the latter's impact on ride quality. going for 21'shas put his cost up about£600 cf say 20-inch gloss black turbo's 20 spiders not being available for an S.
[/quote]
On-Track wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:49 am I kept the 20" GTS wheels because the OP said he welcomed them being standard.

I had used the configurator facility to change models from S to GTS but found it did not stick as promised to the original spec where possible. I failed to spot it had added the Race Tex roof lining and aluminium gear selector which together added approx £1k.

I made the "new" spec as a discussion point. It seems to have worked. :)
Tracky wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:12 pm Nice enough spec.

Plenty of opinions on the spec I’m sure but if you are happy or the equivalent GTS spec then crack on.
Cheers for the replies folks 😁

I’m quite conscious of the effect of excessive options on resale value, so I want to keep it as far this side of Turbo money as I reasonably can. Also I do now have some questions that I’d love some thoughts on 😬

1) Porsche Entry & Drive - this appears to be a waste of £500. I mean, what’s the point in having a keyless system when you still have to turn what is effectively a pre-installed key to start the car? The overall experience doesn’t appear to be much improved. Plus if they’ve kept that key thing in there then surely having to put your key in the ignition is regarded a more “pure” experience by customers? Other manufacturers just have a starter button, often on the steering.

2) Radar Cruise Control - In 2020 I think I’d expect this on cars of this price considering it is standard on many cars and it takes the work out of long journeys, but how do Macan buyers view this? I’ve not seen it on many Macans out in the wild. Is Porsche really more of a “do it yourself” brand?

3) What are the “right” options for a GTS? I’m more than happy with the 20” RS black wheels as they look cool and are also unique to this model, and the standard electric seats (the S has part manual seats so that’s why I upgraded to the 14s). I’m minded towards the below but beyond that that I’m not so sure.

- Tinted front lights (to match the back)
- Pan Roof
- Privacy glass
- Heated seats (but if front heated seats are standard then I can do away with this).
- Gloss black roof rails
- Auto dimming door mirrors
- Speed limit warning
- Reversing Camera
- Puddle lights
- Sports Chrono Pack

Cheers 👍
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Porsche entry and drive is more about the keyless entry than the starting.

Radar cruise control plenty of opinions on this. I’ve had it on various cars since 2012 and barely used it, even though the one on my previous AMG E class was one of the best up
there. As for paying for it, that is where Porsche make the extra money and yes I got it for standard on the Dogs Ibiza!

Tinted front lights are subtle, we have them on ours and I think they would work on your proposed colour

Always have pan roof on these cars just to let sun in. Probably barely ever open it and every one I’ve had from all manufacturers has caused me grief!

Again I think privacy glass would look excellent on your spec. Others don’t like it.

Auto dimming mirrors are cheap so just do it.

I like speed limit, helpful for reminding you if you are in strange places. As a small thing, when in France it will read the signs for you on the autoroute as 130 but if it automatically puts your wipers on as it starts to rain it will drop the limit to 110 automatically

Sports chrono always splits opinion too. I don’t think it is worth it on a Macan ( I have it on my 992 which adds more features). It gives you launch control, who wants that, and adds a more aggressive gearbox map which is horrible. My dealer said essential for sports cars not for SUVs
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

ghostwalker wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:10 pm I’m quite conscious of the effect of excessive options on resale value, so I want to keep it as far this side of Turbo money as I reasonably can. Also I do now have some questions that I’d love some thoughts on 😬

1) Porsche Entry & Drive - this appears to be a waste of £500. I mean, what’s the point in having a keyless system when you still have to turn what is effectively a pre-installed key to start the car? The overall experience doesn’t appear to be much improved. Plus if they’ve kept that key thing in there then surely having to put your key in the ignition is regarded a more “pure” experience by customers? Other manufacturers just have a starter button, often on the steering.

2) Radar Cruise Control - In 2020 I think I’d expect this on cars of this price considering it is standard on many cars and it takes the work out of long journeys, but how do Macan buyers view this? I’ve not seen it on many Macans out in the wild. Is Porsche really more of a “do it yourself” brand?

3) What are the “right” options for a GTS? I’m more than happy with the 20” RS black wheels as they look cool and are also unique to this model, and the standard electric seats (the S has part manual seats so that’s why I upgraded to the 14s). I’m minded towards the below but beyond that that I’m not so sure.

- Pan Roof
- Privacy glass
- Heated seats (but if front heated seats are standard then I can do away with this).
- Gloss black roof rails
- Speed limit warning
- Reversing Camera
- Puddle lights
- Sports Chrono Pack

Cheers 👍
To answer your queries:

Entry and Drive: I'm not a fan of this at all. Porsche's version of it it the worst of all worlds. You have to carry a key that looks just like a real ignition key and there's a key look alike sticking out of the ignition switch. My son's Tesla Model 3 gives over control to his phone so you don't need to carry a key fob. My suggestion is give this a miss.

Adaptive Cruise Control: I've got this for the Automatic Emergency Braking which should be standard but actually only comes with the ACC option.

Sports Chrono: I was persuaded by forum members that this is "expected" on a GTS. The Sports Response button is a useful overtaking aid but the rest of it will just sit there.

I've found Surround View a very useful step up from the Reversing Camera but the area where I park my car is restrictive.
Peter

pmg

Post by pmg »

Do not have it so cannot comment

I have it and use it a lot. buy the car that is right for yourself so if you do a lot of motorway miles I would include along with lane change assist which deals with any blind spot problem

Driver memory package came with 14 way but needs to be added if needed to standard GTS seats

- Tinted front lights (to match the back

Cosmetic i would spend money on something of use and even remove from back so consistent look. on Volcanic Grey a think the red looks better than tinted

- Pan Roof

Leak risk, will you use it? Is back seat likely to be used regularly and need to be given some light?

- Privacy glass

Especially if back seat not used a lot

- Gloss black roof rails

some add them for looks, some to use them

have them well worth adding

- Speed limit warning

have it, well worth adding

- Reversing Camera

Worth considering going to surround view

- Puddle lights

Do you have to avoid a lot of puddles????

- Sports Chrono Pack

Have it and well worth it as now adds steering wheel control for changing modes and I find I use it alot
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
ghostwalker

Post by ghostwalker »

pmg wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:34 pm 1) Porsche Entry & Drive - this appears to be a waste of £500. I mean, what’s the point in having a keyless system when you still have to turn what is effectively a pre-installed key to start the car? The overall experience doesn’t appear to be much improved. Plus if they’ve kept that key thing in there then surely having to put your key in the ignition is regarded a more “pure” experience by customers? Other manufacturers just have a starter button, often on the steering.

Do not have it so cannot comment

I have it and use it a lot. buy the car that is right for yourself so if you do a lot of motorway miles I would include along with lane change assist which deals with any blind spot problem

Driver memory package came with 14 way but needs to be added if needed to standard GTS seats

- Tinted front lights (to match the back

Cosmetic i would spend money on something of use and even remove from back so consistent look. on Volcanic Grey a think the red looks better than tinted

- Pan Roof

Leak risk, will you use it? Is back seat likely to be used regularly and need to be given some light?

- Privacy glass

Especially if back seat not used a lot

- Gloss black roof rails

some add them for looks, some to use them

have them well worth adding

- Speed limit warning

have it, well worth adding

- Reversing Camera

Worth considering going to surround view

- Puddle lights

Do you have to avoid a lot of puddles????

- Sports Chrono Pack

Have it and well worth it as now adds steering wheel control for changing modes and I find I use it alot
On-Track wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:53 pm [quote=ghostwalker post_id=204606 time=<a href="tel:1609002644">1609002644</a> user_id=4096]
I’m quite conscious of the effect of excessive options on resale value, so I want to keep it as far this side of Turbo money as I reasonably can. Also I do now have some questions that I’d love some thoughts on 😬

- Pan Roof
- Privacy glass
- Gloss black roof rails
- Speed limit warning
- Reversing Camera
- Puddle lights
- Sports Chrono Pack

Cheers 👍
To answer your queries:

Entry and Drive: I'm not a fan of this at all. Porsche's version of it it the worst of all worlds. You have to carry a key that looks just like a real ignition key and there's a key look alike sticking out of the ignition switch. My son's Tesla Model 3 gives over control to his phone so you don't need to carry a key fob. My suggestion is give this a miss.

Adaptive Cruise Control: I've got this for the Automatic Emergency Braking which should be standard but actually only comes with the ACC option.

Sports Chrono: I was persuaded by forum members that this is "expected" on a GTS. The Sports Response button is a useful overtaking aid but the rest of it will just sit there.

I've found Surround View a very useful step up from the Reversing Camera but the area where I park my car is restrictive.
[/quote]
Tracky wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:27 pm Porsche entry and drive is more about the keyless entry than the starting.

Radar cruise control plenty of opinions on this. I’ve had it on various cars since 2012 and barely used it, even though the one on my previous AMG E class was one of the best up
there. As for paying for it, that is where Porsche make the extra money and yes I got it for standard on the Dogs Ibiza!

Tinted front lights are subtle, we have them on ours and I think they would work on your proposed colour

Always have pan roof on these cars just to let sun in. Probably barely ever open it and every one I’ve had from all manufacturers has caused me grief!

Again I think privacy glass would look excellent on your spec. Others don’t like it.

Auto dimming mirrors are cheap so just do it.

I like speed limit, helpful for reminding you if you are in strange places. As a small thing, when in France it will read the signs for you on the autoroute as 130 but if it automatically puts your wipers on as it starts to rain it will drop the limit to 110 automatically

Sports chrono always splits opinion too. I don’t think it is worth it on a Macan ( I have it on my 992 which adds more features). It gives you launch control, who wants that, and adds a more aggressive gearbox map which is horrible. My dealer said essential for sports cars not for SUVs
Thanks for the replies. So at the moment I’m absolutely certain on the panoramic roof, privacy glass, reversing camera, ioniser, heated windscreen. heated steering, spare wheel (always nice to have), auto dimming mirrors, speed limit indicator for unfamiliar territory/Europe.

But I can’t seem to talk myself out of the sports chrono some reason - I think because I’m among the shameless folk who would actually drive a 2 tonne SUV like a hot hatch or something, so more sporty characteristics would be welcomed to go with the standard-fit sports exhaust on a GTS model. Coming from a 2018 RS4 and the other car is a 2020 Mustang V8. 😝

The ACC seems another likely one as I think it’ll be useful for city-hopping and doing SUV stuff with.

Not bothered about Bose and all the rest - have plenty of that kit at home. Actually prefer Bowers for that kind of thing anyway.