SPEC LOCKED

All your ordering information here!
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

PaulR wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:59 pm A lot of people ruining their GTS cars by mucking about with the wheels. Sorry, but the standard black Spyder wheels make the GTS a proper GTS. They look stunning on the car (especially on lighter paint jobs) and, as with other 20" wheels, provide the perfect GTS handling.
I think black sport classics are a good look on a GTS and so do Porsche. A number of the press cars on the launch of the origional GTS where on black classics.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50

ghostwalker

Post by ghostwalker »

Rab J wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:52 pm
PaulR wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:59 pm A lot of people ruining their GTS cars by mucking about with the wheels. Sorry, but the standard black Spyder wheels make the GTS a proper GTS. They look stunning on the car (especially on lighter paint jobs) and, as with other 20" wheels, provide the perfect GTS handling.
I think black sport classics are a good look on a GTS and so do Porsche. A number of the press cars on the launch of the origional GTS where on black classics.
Agree with this. The black spyders are just too small and anonymous by design. A sports SUV needs optimal road presence and nothing does it better than the glossy classics IMO.

And even on the launch of the facelift GTS they used the optional 21” silver spyders instead of the standard ones.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Disagree. PaulR's comment is right.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
cmcm3

Post by cmcm3 »

Despite “locking” the spec previously I made a last minute change today and added the PSCB. They’re just big and shiny and sexy and I hate brake dust.
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Firstly, have a look on the Configurator. The 'GTS Plus' is effectively the ultimate GTS specification. Despite appearing to be a money no object configuration at £73,111, this has stuck with the 20" Spyders.

Secondly, my Porsche dealer very strongly recommended that I didn't change the wheels. The black Spyders are what they expect to see on the GTS. It's what they put on the cars they spec themselves. You get the proper GTS looks and handling. As my dealer said, you otherwise end up with a car that looks like any other base model with big wheels.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

GTS wheels.png

For those commenting on the Spyders lacking presence!!
Current - Macan III GTS
cmcm3

Post by cmcm3 »

PaulR wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:28 pm Firstly, have a look on the Configurator. The 'GTS Plus' is effectively the ultimate GTS specification. Despite appearing to be a money no object configuration at £73,111, this has stuck with the 20" Spyders.

Secondly, my Porsche dealer very strongly recommended that I didn't change the wheels. The black Spyders are what they expect to see on the GTS. It's what they put on the cars they spec themselves. You get the proper GTS looks and handling. As my dealer said, you otherwise end up with a car that looks like any other base model with big wheels.
Wow, this is really important to you, eh?
pmg

Post by pmg »

PaulR wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:40 pm GTS wheels.png

For those commenting on the Spyders lacking presence!!
I think the problem with black spiders is that being black I do not notice them or the detail on them against the tyres. The use of black spiders is the one element that personally puts me off a GTS. However, I do recognise the aftermarket prefers pure GTS's to ones where one of or some of the main distinctive features have been changed
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

pmg wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:30 pm I think the problem with black spiders is that being black I do not notice them or the detail on them against the tyres. The use of black spiders is the one element that personally puts me off a GTS. However, I do recognise the aftermarket prefers pure GTS's to ones where one of or some of the main distinctive features have been changed
It's easy to go round in circles speccing Porsche cars. My favourite wheels are the 21" Turbos, 21" Classics and 21" Spyders. From a cosmetic perspective, I think they look great. If I was buying an S or Turbo, I'd specify any of these - with air suspension of course. Too many professional reviewers (and my own experience) is that air is a necessity for 21s on UK roads.

For the GTS, I feel the black 20" Spyders are part of the car. It makes the GTS a GTS - both from a cosmetic and a handling perspective. The moment these are changed, you end up with something that doesn't look (and potentially doesn't handle) like a GTS. Of course this will not be important to many people. For example, some people start at an S with many options, and then quickly realise they can have a GTS for similar money. They're not necessarily looking for the ultimate GTS 'experience', if I may call it that.

I also think the wheel choice should complement the colour of the car. So black wheels look great on light cars, silver wheels look great on dark cars (IMO). So if you want say a black GTS, that presents another dilemma! Unless you really like the stealth look, I'm not convinced about black Spyders on a black car. The answer in my case was to get a light coloured car!!
Current - Macan III GTS
jone66

Post by jone66 »

Nice spec cmcm3, I can totally understand about things mounting up. My spec needs to go on a small diet before I order :) PMMWXI93
1972 - MKIII Cortina 2L GT
Orion Ghia 1.6 Inj
Then got Married (Twice)
Nissan Micra
Peugeot 307 & 207
Kia Sorrento - Honda HRV
And single again so time for....
Macan GTS - Ordering after lockdown (1st new car Ever) :D