How do new orders work?

All your ordering information here!
Macanori

Post by Macanori »

Hi all!

New here and new to Porsche!

I've literally just come out of a company car scheme and was initially looking for a nearly new Macan S but having discussed the options and prices with my local dealer last week, I've decided to go for a new order and I've duly put my £3k deposit down.

My question is, how does this all work? My dealer said that they don't yet have their "allocations" and I'm number 8 in their queue for a Macan S and they anticipate it'll be a May build/June delivery. This all is ok for me but perhaps because I'm not used to it, it's all so vague and now it's just silence - is this normal? Is there a chance I might miss out if the allocation is less than 8? Also is this a wise decision as I've also read there's an even newer facelift coming soon?

Apologies for all of the questions!

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Where Porsche is different from most other manufacturers is that demand usually exceeds supply. This is particularly true for the Macan, Cayenne and Taycan. Original Porsche Centres (OPC) get an allocation of cars out of each month's production. Sometimes for a particular month that allocation is zero. This is particularly true for variants like the Macan GTS.

In giving you a May/June date, your OPC will have taken account of its monthly allocation. When you placed your order, you will have agreed a specification with your Sales Executive. Around six weeks before your car is due to be built, you'll receive an email (or phone call) telling you your specification is "locked". The corollary to that is until lockdown you can add or delete options.

When you agreed your spec, you should have been given a Porsche Code. If you post that on here, we'll tell you what "essential" items you've missed off and, just sometimes :lol: , give you suggestions for items you should consider deleting. Warning :!: :!: it's easy to make your Macan considerably more expensive than the base price.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Welcome Macanori,
Porsche GB allocate build slots by model type in tranches (I think quarterly) to each dealer, it’s not at all uncommon for them to not have any immediately available. In fact that’s usually the case and they don’t actually know how many they will get in each allocation, but should have some idea based on their own history. You are correct in saying if there allocation is less you’ll miss out, but people often drop out and take back their deposit which pushes you forward. Of course you can just ring round dealers to see if they can improve on your position. Some will even put more than one deposit down.

The next contact will be once their allocation is through, you will then be given a period to lockdown your spec. Once the end date of lockdown is arrived at you cannot make any further changes. Re facelift, the OPC will genuinely not have any formal information on this from Porsche GB but model year changes tend to cut in after the summer shutdown. The next big change is a full EV version, which I personally don’t think we will see until late 2022. Not sure if a facelift will supersede this? Some other members may have a better opinion on when you could expect to see it.

😊 See On Track beat me to it, so looks like I’ve repeated this one 🤭 except for the bit about spending your money 😈
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
pmg

Post by pmg »

In late spring 2018, I had decided that when I next replaced my car I possible wanted a Macan and having in 2014 seen the waiting list s rise to two years I thought I had better make enquiries as to the then current position. When I made enquires at the two OPC's I lived between, the order books for Gen1 Macans had just shut and both had no idea about when they would get allocations for Gen2 and how many. After Goodwood FOS that summer and wondering around car makers strands, I had reduced my options to one a Macan and was ready to pay a £3000 deposit to get a place in the waiting lists. My preferred by reputation OPC was not at that stage taking deposits saying they only took deposits when the existence of the car was firm but my 2nd choice was so I paid a refundable deposit to that OPC.

The day in December 2018, the "Gen 2" Macan S appeared on the configurator, I emailed the Porsche Code of my intended car to both OPC's asking had they a build slot and could they deliver by late March 2019. the OPC I had paid a deposit to came back yes immediately and due to silence from the OPC had been my preferred choice I proceeded to firm order with them. The salesman at my preferred OPC had been on holiday and when he replied saying yes 10 days later they had a slot, it was too late. In practice, there were some build and EU car approval delays and my Macan arrived mid-April 2019

The point is it can be worth talking to more than one dealer. My understanding is that in the long waiting list times of 2015 /2016 some prospective buyers had refundable deposits down with more than one OPC.
Last edited by pmg on Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Macanori

Post by Macanori »

Thanks - very helpful information - makes a lot more sense now. I'm getting excited...but not too excited until I know it's definitely happening!

Below is the spec I am currently considering - this is my max budget and I can see how easy it is to get carried away - it's already changed since I initally spoke to the dealer and he has a different spec in the "order form" I signed to deposit the £3k - I queried this at the time and he said that's it's fine and that it's not locked until the lockdown date and he will contact before then to do this - I assume this is ok or should I contact him again with my new spec?

Couple of questions / context on my spec below:

1. Paint - I chose the carrara white as I've read it's more durable in the long run than the standard white (clear coat etc). Is this true?
2. Panoramic Roof - I don't even think I want this but everyone seems to say it helps residuals? I'd rather have PASM...thoughts?
3. Wheels - I just can't stump up nearly £3k for 20/21 wheels and plus my gf will likely kerb them anyway...I actually like the look of these (not a fan of the standard 18s) but is this also an issue re residuals?
4. Seats - Am I right in thinking these are full leather seats as opposed to the standard seats which have fabric centres?

Let me know if I'm missing anything critical? Thanks again!

Exterior Colour - Carrara White Metallic - 2Y £ 674.00
Interior Colour - Standard interior Black - VC - £ 0.00
Exterior - Panoramic glass roof - 3FU - £ 1,137.00
Roof rails in aluminium - 3S1- £ 245.00
Drivetrain and chassis - 7-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) - G1D - £ 0.00
Wheels - 19-inch Macan Sport wheels - 41A - £ 1,061.00
Wheel Accessories - 18-Inch collapsible spare wheel - 1G1 - £ 161.00
Lighting and vision - Privacy glass - VW1 - £ 333.00
Comfort and assistance systems - ParkAssist (front and rear) including reversing camera - 7X8 - £ 362.00
Interior- Adaptive Sports Seats in Front (18-Way, electric) - Q1J - £ 1,263.00
Seat Heating (front and rear) - 4A4 - £ 294.00
Steering wheel heating - 2ZH - £ 189.00
Interior Leather - Porsche Crest on front headrests Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur - 3J7 - £ 161.00

Total Recommended Retail Price*: £ 55,300.00
bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

It’s unfortunate at the moment that this virus is around as normally you could push for a day at the Porsche centre at Silverstone to try the various cars with different options on them to help you decide on your final spec. It’s also interesting to discuss options with their professional drivers there and get their feedback. Based on their input I decided on 19” wheels with all season tyres, as they reckoned that for everyday use around the country roads in lincolnshire where I live combined with PASM would be the optimum ride. They did point out that no one in their right mind would use the Macan as a track day car so purely on ride rather than look 19” was a good compromise. As for ordering, most of the points have been covered by others. I ordered in 2015 and my car eventually turned up 14 months later in December 2016. To be fair I was initially quoted approx 10 months delivery and after a few months was told it would only be 8 months and even gave me a May delivery date. This turned out to be an error as the car was not mine, it was a diesel.
I don’t think you will have this sort of problem now though. If you do get an offer of a visit to Silverstone grab it and go, it’s definitely worth it, we’ve managed 4 visits now and learn something new each time.
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric
stallturn

Post by stallturn »

Re changing spec before lockdown, I was told by my salesman not to tell them of every little spec change in the run-up to lockdown. Play with the configurator all you like and refine your spec, but apparently Porsche UK will regard you as a spec 'butterfly' and be more inclined to push your build slot backwards.
So the message was to be ready with all your changes in the approach to lockdown and tell your salesman of any changes as few times as possible.
Macanori

Post by Macanori »

Really useful insights all - I might take some time to have a call around - I take it dealers get allocation as per their umbrella group i.e. JCT600 etc?

In terms of my spec, let me know if anyone has a view on the below:

1. Paint - I chose the carrara white as I've read it's more durable in the long run than the standard white (clear coat etc). Is this true?
2. Panoramic Roof - I don't even think I want this but everyone seems to say it helps residuals? I'd rather have PASM...thoughts?
3. Wheels - I just can't stump up nearly £3k for 20/21 wheels and plus my gf will likely kerb them anyway...I actually like the look of these (not a fan of the standard 18s) but is this also an issue re residuals?
4. Seats - Am I right in thinking these are full leather seats as opposed to the standard seats which have fabric centres?

Exterior Colour - Carrara White Metallic
Interior Colour - Standard interior Black
Exterior - Panoramic glass roof
Roof rails in aluminium - 3S1
Wheels - 19-inch Macan Sport wheels
Wheel Accessories - 18-Inch collapsible spare wheel
Lighting and vision - Privacy glass
Comfort and assistance systems - ParkAssist (front and rear) including reversing camera
Interior- Adaptive Sports Seats in Front (18-Way, electric)
Seat Heating (front and rear)
Steering wheel heating
Interior Leather - Porsche Crest on front headrests Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Macanori wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:41 am Thanks - very helpful information - makes a lot more sense now. I'm getting excited...but not too excited until I know it's definitely happening!

Below is the spec I am currently considering - this is my max budget and I can see how easy it is to get carried away - it's already changed since I initally spoke to the dealer and he has a different spec in the "order form" I signed to deposit the £3k - I queried this at the time and he said that's it's fine and that it's not locked until the lockdown date and he will contact before then to do this - I assume this is ok or should I contact him again with my new spec?

Couple of questions / context on my spec below:

Let me know if I'm missing anything critical? Thanks again!

Exterior Colour - Carrara White Metallic - 2Y £ 674.00
Interior Colour - Standard interior Black - VC - £ 0.00
Exterior - Panoramic glass roof - 3FU - £ 1,137.00
Roof rails in aluminium - 3S1- £ 245.00
Drivetrain and chassis - 7-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK) - G1D - £ 0.00
Wheels - 19-inch Macan Sport wheels - 41A - £ 1,061.00
Wheel Accessories - 18-Inch collapsible spare wheel - 1G1 - £ 161.00
Lighting and vision - Privacy glass - VW1 - £ 333.00
Comfort and assistance systems - ParkAssist (front and rear) including reversing camera - 7X8 - £ 362.00
Interior- Adaptive Sports Seats in Front (18-Way, electric) - Q1J - £ 1,263.00
Seat Heating (front and rear) - 4A4 - £ 294.00
Steering wheel heating - 2ZH - £ 189.00
Interior Leather - Porsche Crest on front headrests Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur - 3J7 - £ 161.00

Total Recommended Retail Price*: £ 55,300.00
In answer to your questions:

1. Paint- Since the switch to water based paints, all treatments have a clear coat. Choose metallic if you like the "sparkly" effect, otherwise stick with base.

2. Panoramic Roof- Yes it will help with residuals but not by anything close to the £1137 cost of the option. Choose it if you want a lighter interior (I've had this option on two of my three Porsches and would not be without it) but don't spec your car for its next owner.

3. Wheels- I have a set of the 18" wheels in storage with winter tyres on them so obviously don't think they look bad. Myself, I can't see that the 19" wheels are worth £1061as they don't look that different and will be harder to clean with the narrower gap between the spokes. 20" wheels still give reasonable protection from kerbing but it might be worth opting for "Surround View" which is really good for seeing exactly how far from an obstacle the wheels are.

4. Seats- All the seat facing (squab and back) are leather with the sports seats but to get the sides, headrests and backs in leather you have to go for one of the extended leather option.

I've never owned a Porsche without PASM so I can't give you an unbiased opinion. Those who have chosen not to option it say the car still rides OK regardless of wheel size. Those of us who have chosen PASM say it's like American Express, don't leave home without it. :lol:
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Macanori

Post by Macanori »

Thanks for all of the responses - I can see how it’s easy to change the spec so many times...good to know re the paint - in that case, base white may be good enough in that case, and I can invest what I would’ve spent on the metallic paint into PASM instead...