1 week to GTS order lockdown

All your ordering information here!
Conwy GTS

Post by Conwy GTS »

Newbie here, so be gentle with me.

Placed an order last week for GTS with build in April and delivery in May, so need to lockdown my spec in the next 7 days. So I was therefore wondering what the experienced Macan owners out there thought of the following:-

1. GTS alcantara - I personally prefer the look of full leather, albeit with the red stitching. But did wonder what you folks thought about the pros/cons.
2. Power steering plus - does this offer anything other than making the steering feel overly light? Having had Boxster S, F Type, Golf R and S4, I do like to feel what’s going on with the front end.
3. Will the suspension feel to hard with the 20” wheels and PASM - see 2. above for what I’m used to. I personally think it will be fine.
4. Having had cars (see 2 above) with masses of electrical adjustment and never really used them, I’m thinking that the standard 8 way buckets will be okay?
5. Is the in/out steering wheel adjustment electrical as standard?
6. Are the standard sill guards illuminated?

Current spec is http://www.porsche-code.com/PMQH4KB1

Any views or comment appreciated .
Current :
2021 Porsche Macan GTS

Previously :
2014 Porsche Boxster S
2017 Jaguar F Type 3.0S
2016 VW Golf R
2017 Audi S4 Avant
2016 Audi S3 Sportback

Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Welcome

2. I avoided because I’d didn’t want anything more artificial between me and the wheels. I had a B8 RS4 a couple of cars back with all the option packs which included the adaptive steering or whatever they called it which the journos hated. I lived with it but my amg e class afterwards was much better.

3. After an S4 audi the ride will be fine on 20s and PASM. Ours is on 21 and air and my biggest critic, my old man has said it has a nice ride. I had a loaner with 21s and just PASM and that was still better than the RS4/AMG

5. Not 100% sure but I would have thought only as part of memory pack/full electric
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Welcome Conwy, that’s a decent spec you have created. Re your queries:
1. Have had both, when choosing the black interior personally preferred the look of the leather/Racetex mix alongside the stitching. Very comfortable, looks great and hopefully will wear well. Although wouldn’t have a Racetex covered steering wheel.
2. PS Plus only functions at low/parking speed, no difference above that.
3.It will feel a lot better than any of your previous vehicles.
4/5. I’m sure the 8 way are fine but if you want electrical adjustment of the steering column that only comes with the 18 way seats for the interior package you have chosen. Also standard to 14 way but no Racetex mix option.
6. No they are not and not sure much benefit, you have the comfort light package and its well lit once opened.

Personal opinion, as above I would remove Porsche logo “UD1” and definitely add “2PJ” the GT sports steering wheel 😎👍
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Conwy GTS wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:25 pm

1. GTS alcantara - I personally prefer the look of full leather, albeit with the red stitching. But did wonder what you folks thought about the pros/cons. RaceTex is warmer in winter, cooler in summer and grips you better year round.
2. Power steering plus - does this offer anything other than making the steering feel overly light? Having had Boxster S, F Type, Golf R and S4, I do like to feel what’s going on with the front end.Really makes no difference to the steering feel, but makes for easier parking and low speed full lock shuffling - all so much easier
3. Will the suspension feel to hard with the 20” wheels and PASM - see 2. above for what I’m used to. I personally think it will be fine.It's fine. Add Air Suspension if you want the plushest ride quality
4. Having had cars (see 2 above) with masses of electrical adjustment and never really used them, I’m thinking that the standard 8 way buckets will be okay? They are great
5. Is the in/out steering wheel adjustment electrical as standard? No
6. Are the standard sill guards illuminated? No
A warm welcome and good choice!

Here are my thoughts against each question above....
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Northandy

Post by Northandy »

I have ps+ in my gts and it’s not too light.

I’m on 20’s and pasm and will do the same on my new order as it’s perfect for me, std sport seats are brilliant too.
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Those who have power steering plus, did you drive a non PS+ before hand and think it was too heavy?
I would assume most on here have been driving over 20 years and can remember HEAVY steering on the older cars, surly it's nowhere near that kinda weight?
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

To add to the comments Steve has made above:

2. The additional assistance is only there at parking/low speeds. I did drive a demo SD without power steering plus and didn't have it on my Cayenne. On the demo car on 20" wheels the steering was heavy at parking speeds so I optioned it on my SD and also my GTS. I wouldn't go back.

4. The advantages of the 18 way seats are (IMHO) almost infinite adjustment variation; memory for the front passenger's seat as well as the driver; steering column electric adjustment and memory.

6. The illuminated sills do not provide significant additional illumination but they do look good. Mind you as they come with brushed black aluminium sill guards they would clash with your choice of the gloss black interior. I don't regret spending the £294 this option costs but if your budget is limited then the money might be better spent elsewhere.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Guy

Post by Guy »

Rarecolour wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:08 am Those who have power steering plus, did you drive a non PS+ before hand and think it was too heavy?
I would assume most on here have been driving over 20 years and can remember HEAVY steering on the older cars, surly it's nowhere near that kinda weight?

Whilst I have never driven a Macan with PS+, consider the following ...

- On moving from a Mk4 VW Golf to the Macan, I considered the Macan (without PS+) to be relatively light.

- After driving my wife's Duster (with very light electric PS), I felt that the Macan was relatively heavy (a sensation that disappears within a few minutes).

One thing I do find with my wife's car is that over-light steering can encourage you to 'dry steer', which of course isn't a good practice anyway!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Rarecolour wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:08 am Those who have power steering plus, did you drive a non PS+ before hand and think it was too heavy?
I had an SD on 19" for 3 years without PS+ and it was fine.

I test drove a Gen 2 Turbo with PS+ and found it did not detract at all from the driving feel and experience, but did make low speed maneuvering a doddle. So for the GTS on 20" I went for it and have absolutely no regrets.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
F1 Nut

Post by F1 Nut »

That's some quick turnaround.... I placed an order in September and still waiting for a build slot - think I need to start calling some OPCs.
Current: Macan Turbo 2021 http://www.porsche-code.com/PM513BZ5
Previous: BMW 540i 2018