New gen Macan

All your ordering information here!
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

my issue isn’t with security, its with the ugly lump of plastic protruding out of the dash in lieu of a proper built in keyless entry system like most cars have had for over a decade. just seems a cheap “ bodge” for such an expensive car. this is, obviously, just my opinion and its clearly not everyone agrees. I’m not criticising the car in general, i‘ve just put down a deposit on one, i just don’t like that aspect of it.

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Tracky wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:38 pm I had to pay for entry and drive on the 911 - not sure it is standard on any Porsche - a way of getting more money from the punter even though my dogs Seat has it as standard.

I understood the Porsche ones were one of the best and despite putting mine in a box too, I understand the key does to sleep when it hasn’t moved so can’t be subject to relay attack. It’s one of the best on the market. JLR produces on the other hand…
JLR were one of the first to introduce greater security on their fobs, at least on the current generation models. It’s true that earlier models were susceptible to relay attack, and many were!

And yes, current gen Porsches are secure against relay attack. Check out Thatcham’s security ratings for many manufacturers’ models produced now.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Papeto

Post by Papeto »

ianst wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:27 pm Theres certain things that get parroted on here, that is one.

you can't tell the difference from bose and the standard
air suspension makes people sick
20" wheels are the best
nonsense about who makes which engine
gen 1 owners hating on gen 2 cars cos of the light bar
gen 2 owners hating on the haptic touch buttons

etc etc
Had a good chuckle at this one, but after following the forum for a while this it
is so true!
2022 Macan S ordered PNEGHKV4
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

You and me both!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

I really struggle to see the benefit of keyless entry. One of my criteria for buying a car is that is must not have it, so I'd actually pay money to have it removed from a car. The standard key fob is so simple to use: press a button to lock or unlock the car; turn once in the ignition to wake up the car; turn again to start the engine. How simple is that?

Keyless entry makes everything more complicated from both a user and a technology perspective. Okay, there is a perceived 'benefit' in that you don't need to take your key out your pocket or bag. Other than that, all I see are loads of disadvantages. I need to press a particular part of the door handle now. How do the kids open their doors when they run ahead? How do I really know when the car is locked or unlocked? What happens when my wife drops me off, takes over the driving, and we realise too late that the key's in my pocket? What happens when we arrive at destination and cannot remember where the key is? (Is it in my pocket, my wife's bag, or my jacket in the boot?) What happens when both drivers have keys with them? Car's are now easier to steal thanks to the technology.

I really don't get why we have all of this just to save me getting a key out my pocket. Manufacturers have solved a problem that didn't exist. And then had to solve countless other technical challenges to try and get it to work with minimal issues. Except they haven't actually resolved all the issues.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

surely the worrying where the key thing is relates more to a car with a key then a car without one? must say not all keyless cars are created equal. my son’s mx5 is what i’d call a proper keyless car. it unlocks when you walk up to the car ( no special part of the door handle to press ) and locks when you walk away. my car does have a specific bit of the door handle to press but that’s no big deal. mine doesn’t automatically lock when you walk away though.

my original point was i’m not keen on how the keyless entry has been physically implemented on the macan. ignoring its efficiency or otherwise I think its hard to ignore that the physical implementation is not like any other car. in the macan you effectively have 2 keys, one of which is left permanently in the car ( although its just a repeater unit ). to me if feels like a cheap after-market accessory compared with every other keyless entry system i’ve seen in the last decade. it looks like a retro-fit option.
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:44 pm In the macan you effectively have 2 keys, one of which is left permanently in the car ( although its just a repeater unit ). to me if feels like a cheap after-market accessory compared with every other keyless entry system i’ve seen in the last decade. it looks like a retro-fit option.
I don't think it's a repeater unit; it's just a lump of plastic. You can remove it and throw it away if you like. You can then use the standard key in its place, which provides the benefit of ensuring your key stays with the car.

It certainly beats the naff and phoeney stop/start buttons that many cars have these days. Twist one click to switch car on; twist one more click to turn the engine on.

The fact you can remove the switch and use your own key instead makes the Porsche system much better than anything else I've seen. I've never seen another car that gives you this choice.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
Deleted User 4439

Post by Deleted User 4439 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:52 pm [quote=mistercesq post_id=211150 time=<a href="tel:1626507050">1626507050</a> user_id=4439]
[quote=OmniCognateSnr post_id=211145 time=<a href="tel:1626468715">1626468715</a> user_id=4436]
The functionality is the same but the way it achieves it seems a bit heath robinson. There is a repeater that plugs into the keyhole, that can be removed the same as a key can. It looks a bit “rubbish” for such an expensive car. For me I think I’d rather just use the key if it doesn’t change in the new model. I do hope so because the last time I used an actual key in a car was in my 2007 BMW.

Not criticising the car in general, else I wouldn’t be buying one, I just think their keyless entry is a tad “Halfords”.
I don’t understand why anyone would pay money to make their car easier to steal. I always spec a keyed car if possible. I’m hoping Keyless entry ISNT included as standard on the new S.
[/quote]
This belief is now out of date, at least for the current Porsches and a few other makes. The keys do not transmit signals when at rest and are thus as secure as any other key against relay attack.
[/quote]

Not out of date at all. The keys disable after not being moved for a certain amount of time. If someone is waiting for you or follows you into a car park a relay attack is very easy.

You can blow the trumpet for keyless entry all you want but they are not as safe as a physical key.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Not blowing trumpets for anything, just stating the facts. Thatcham seem to agree with me when they gave Porsche a Superior rating for security. I’ve never heard of a relay attack after following someone into a car park. Once the car is locked and and the driver walks a short distance away relay attacks are not possible.

Hopefully this improves your limited understanding of car security.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
bbpxbbpx

Post by bbpxbbpx »

The safest option would be to keep the real key that you stick into a hole and turn to unlock. Anything remote is unsafe. There are stories about people jamming key signal at petrol station so when you walk away and use the remote to lock, it doesn't lock it so people can get into your car with no effort.

I don't recall seeing a higher insurance premium for cars that have keyless entry, so maybe that's another benchmark.

I believe that there is an off switch on the Porsche key too. There is also no special place to touch to unlock, just walk up to the car with keys in pocket and pull the door handle like normal. For locking, you need to touch certain part of the handle, but I don't think it is any harder, weirder than pressing a button on the key.

But agree that if it doesn't float your boat, it isn't for you.
Ben

2019 Macan S Night Blue
1995 993 C2 Midnight Blue
2015 Macan S Agate Grey - SOLD