Adaptive Cruise Control

All your ordering information here!
Deleted User 611

Post by Deleted User 611 »

I would welcome views on adaptive cruise control for my next Macan S ( which will be my third).
I drive 8K to 10K a year with some long trips on motorways including through France and many short 20 mile local trips. I have never had adaptive cruise control but now may be the time as my next Macan will be a keeper for at least five years or until the family take away the keys..

Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

I use it all the time, great feature in traffic or on motorways.

Makes you realise how many drive far too close to the car in front.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

I have adaptive Cruise Control on my current car and have specced it on the Macan S I have just ordered. I don't think I can live without adaptive Cruise control having used it for the last 4 years. When you are on a long drive on boring roads you can just set it and relax. The only issue I ever found with it is that if the car in front slows down and then speeds up the cruise control has a tendency to leave just enough of a gap before accelerating to catch up that it lets cars pull in in-front of you.

I also think that for some utterly bizarre reason, adaptive cruise on the Macan S also includes things like the automatic breaking and pedestrian avoidance that are standard features on so many cheaper cars these days.

For me adaptive cruise control is one of the few no-brainer options (along with the traffic signal recognition, so you can keep your licenses point free for a bit longer)
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I was originally going to have Traffic Jam Assist on my GTS but it got withdrawn. I've got ACC primarily for the Emergency Brake Assist and Collision avoidance.

ACC good points: In slow moving and stop/start heavy traffic it reduces stress. It ensures that if you have to make an emergency stop that the maximum braking effort is deployed.

Bad points: In fast moving traffic, it can make for jerky speed changes e.g. if you're in lane 2 of a motorway approaching a car in front while waiting for a car in lane 3 to overtake it will slow down to match the speed of the car in front which means that when lane 3 is clear had acceleration is involved. Driving without ACC would mean that you'd maintain speed for longer because you'd judged that the car in lane 3 would have passed you before it was necessary to slow down. It also can't spot that the driver in lane 1 is accelerating and will pull out so instead of a speed adjustment on the throttle alone the system spots the problem later and has to brake.

The Collision Avoidance system sees a hazard but is not able to see that the hazard will have cleared by the time you arrive. I was in Cromer in very slow moving traffic. There was a pedestrian walking right on the edge of the pavement. I could see that he was facing away from the road and his next step would take him well clear. However, I got the "four alarm fire" warning and a very sharp jab on the brakes which brought the car to an instant stand and scared the hell out of the driver behind.

If ordering another Macan, I'd spec it for the Emergency Brake Assist alone which I agree should be standard. IMHO the system is not as good as a fully alert competent driver but it has its place.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Deleted User 611

Post by Deleted User 611 »

Thanks for the very useful comments that have convinced me to spec the Adaptive Cruise Control. I paid a deposit for a gen3 in January so hope to be near the front for deliveries.
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

I only placed mine a little over a week ago. They "estimated" delivery in December. I hope that's right (ish) else I'll have some major logistical problems.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

ACC is the best thing since sliced bread.

Been using it for nearly five years in my Turbo.

I always have it switched on, the “greyed out” look means that the safety braking feature is active even if the cruise speed is not set.

If on say a Motorway your habit is to get close to a vehicle before overtaking it then ACC can brake, hence honing your observation skills will help in a smooth drive.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
pmg

Post by pmg »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:45 pm ACC is the best thing since sliced bread.

I always have it switched on, the “greyed out” look means that the safety braking feature is active even if the cruise speed is not set.

If on say a Motorway your habit is to get close to a vehicle before overtaking it then ACC can brake, hence honing your observation skills will help in a smooth drive.
Plus one. The Col was made the reply I would have typed
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:45 pm ACC is the best thing since sliced bread.

I can't speak for Gen 1 systems but in Gen 2 cars the safety features are part of Porsche Active Safe (PAS). This comes with ACC but is separate from it. PAS is always on (unless separately switched off via PCM) regardless of whether ACC is on or not.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
PMY8HV70

Post by PMY8HV70 »

ACC is on most of the time, unless I’m overtaking :D