Air Suspension

All your ordering information here!
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

My approach to my first Porsche was a desire for maximum comfort, practicality and a "bit" of performance. I, therefore, went for 18" wheels and air suspension on an S. Frankly I find it almost impossible to detect any difference in comfort/handling from one suspension setting to another which I put down to the depth if rubber, so wheel size is, IMHO, critical in deciding the need. That said I'm happy to have the adjustment and extra clearance available having used it off-road and through floods occasionally.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I see from other posts you are not specifying upgraded seats.

I once test drove an S, it had hardly any options and Wilmslow Porsche had fitted it with 21” wheels.

It had no PASM.

The car rode very, very badly, tramlined and was affected by every irregularity in the road surface of which in Cheshire there are many despite the affluent area.

Worst was to come, the standard 8 way seats were dire, no support, no adjustments.

Do Not omit upgrading the seats unless you have had a good long test drive of a Macan where its spec is similar to yours by way of seating, wheels and suspension.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

no choice at the moment, the upgraded seats are no longer on the option list. lets see what happens in 12 mins when the new configurator goes up 😉
Deleted User 4436

configurator hasn’t changed 🥺
resjud

Post by resjud »

CharlesElliott wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:38 pm I bought it because I tow with the car - and it is great. But if I wasn't towing, I don't think I would get it.
Sorry to resurrect this comment (and slightly hijack the thread). I put a deposit down yesterday on a Gen 3 S (thanks to all those who gave me advice in the thread I started a few days ago) and, obviously, I'm already having second thoughts about the spec and will be agonising until it's locked!

Spec as ordered is here: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNTB7G34

The key areas of indecision are:
  • Normal sound v Bose
  • ACC v no ACC
  • Reversing camera v 360 deg surround camera
  • Leather (that comes with 14 way seats) v "standard leather" v extended leather
  • Normal adaptive suspension v air suspension
I drove a Gen 2 Macan 2.0L on 21 inch wheels with no PASM or air suspensions and was pleasantly surprised at the ride, even when I went actively in search of uneven road surfaces and speed bumps. Coming from a BMW X3 with 21 inch wheels on run-flat tyres with adaptive (steel) suspension, which has a tendency to waft/wobble in comfort mode and be a little too harsh in sport mode, I wonder whether having the PASM on the Macan will be sufficient without air. However, I do tow rowing boat trailers so am interested in the comment I quote above about air suspension being good for towing - what are the main reasons for this?

Any thoughts on this (and the rest of the list) welcome, thank you!
Macan S delivered Jan 2022: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN7N8UC1
Macaning

Post by Macaning »

resjud wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:52 pm
CharlesElliott wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:38 pm I bought it because I tow with the car - and it is great. But if I wasn't towing, I don't think I would get it.
Sorry to resurrect this comment (and slightly hijack the thread). I put a deposit down yesterday on a Gen 3 S (thanks to all those who gave me advice in the thread I started a few days ago) and, obviously, I'm already having second thoughts about the spec and will be agonising until it's locked!

• Normal sound v Bose
  • ACC v no ACC
  • Leather (that comes with 14 way seats) v "standard leather" v extended leather
I drove a Gen 2 Macan 2.0L on 21 inch wheels with no PASM or air suspensions and was pleasantly surprised at the ride, even when I went actively in search of uneven road surfaces and speed bumps. Coming from a BMW X3 with 21 inch wheels on run-flat tyres with adaptive (steel) suspension, which has a tendency to waft/wobble in comfort mode and be a little too harsh in sport mode, I wonder whether having the PASM on the Macan will be sufficient without air. However, I do tow rowing boat trailers so am interested in the comment I quote above about air suspension being good for towing - what are the main reasons for this?

Same dilemma here but more towards locked on below:
- Still have to test the normal sound system but I think I will be fine with it
- ACC is worth it for me for the PAS alone
- Reversing camera is enough but for some reason I will go ahead with 360 view, Seems like a standard feature in many cars now and putting in mind the “wanted” specs at resale time
- I think I will take my chances with PASM only & 21 wheels, I bet it will feel like heaven comparing to my Audi S3 with 19 wheels, Again I’m due to test it with one of the dealer cars that has no PASM & 21 wheels
Last edited by Macaning on Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

I would also recommend ACC for the PAS safety features, as well as the adaptive cruise element.

I also like surround view, which enables precision parking in marked spaces, and helps with parking close to kerbs without damaging the alloys.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Ntense

Post by Ntense »

resjud wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:52 pm

• Normal sound v Bose
  • ACC v no ACC

When I ordered my S two years ago, I had the same dilemma. So here are my observations; firstly Bose vs standard, I tested the Bose and it sounded very good however, the standard system, for my listening was perfectly adequate. I didn't think the £800 extra for the Bose was worth it for me as I mainly listen to talk radio and music only occasionally. The standard set up is very good to my ears and especially if you feed it a quality source i.e CD rips through a SD card.

I went for 21" RS wheels and opted for the full 360 deg camera which has saved my wheels many times. If you have diamond cut wheels I think the 360 camera is a good choice. A badly damaged diamond cut wheel may not be reparable or if it has been 'cut' before you may have to replace a wheel and the price of an OEM one is eye watering. I know some will say learn to park properly but that won'r help you having crunched your wheel.

I really wanted a good ride coming from a BMW with run flats and having tested air and non air, felt that the car with air had minimal to no body roll at all, this was confirmed at Silverstone during the Porsche Experience when I raged a Macan but the absence of any body roll taking corners at speeds that no SUV should be doing was unbelievable as driven by my instructor. That said, at low town speeds, air suspension is I think a bit underdamped and can feel a bit floaty like a Range Rover but this is resolved as you press on due to PASM and improves further by selecting the low setting. What it does is to isolate you from road imperfections and just glides over road humps and broken surfaces. It does deliver a slightly disconnected feel however, where the steel sprung car feels more connected to the road but lets in more of the imperfections in the road to be felt. Now a Macan is an SUV albeit a fast one so for me, comfort took priority over outright handling or road feel. On balance, driving a car on public roads at legal speeds, the air suspension delivers more options, a better ride and corners with no body roll at speed. Other benefits include self levelling when heavily loaded

I went for the leather interior with the leather strip and sticking on the dashboard, looks and feels nice. If you go with 14way seats, I think you get upgraded to leather seat facings but the next level up gives you leather door pulls, and a leather roll on the dash, I thought it was worth it but not essential.

I would probably pick ACC now over Bose, given the general level of traffic on our motorways and towns

What would I option now? Sports Chrono, roof rails and poss ACC. Would love proper matrix lights.....
Deleted User 4436

I’d agree with everything above based in my extremely limited test drives and features i have on other cars. That said, I didn’t spec air. Several people have mentioned the “wafty” ride and having come from BMW with run flats, Astons and lately a mini I like having that road feel and too wafty actually gives me motion sickness.

Of course the other, very good reason not to have air is that if you currently order an S or a base macan with air you will add 3-4 months to your delivery time.

Ive gone for ACC, full leather, 360 degree camera and no Bose. I’ve also got sport chrono ( i like the idea of being able to tailor the settings ), a spare wheel, Pano and a heated windscreen. I don’t have a garage and need to take my wife to work very early in the morning so its nice not having to scrape the windscreen, especially one as large and high as the Macan’s.

Full spec:

PN88X594
http://www.porsche-code.com/PN88X594

Btw, this was the 1,372nd variant of my build, as many on the forum and my OPC will confirm ( through gritted teeth in the case of the OPC )
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I would have PASM towards the top of my option list. It's a Porsche, PASM manages the suspension and is what Porsche expect you to have to experience their chassis design. The bigger the wheels, the more benefit - so almost a definite on 21".

With air - it adjusts the car so it takes into account the load front and rear. When I hitch up the trailer, the compressor pumps more air to the rear to level up the car. I tow a 600Kg race car which is slightly different to a rowing boat.

For me - PASM is a must have. Air would not be something unless I am towing heavy loads. And if you are not towing, I would not suggest Air at all.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8