OK so I have given up a kidney and joined the queue for a Macan GTS

All your ordering information here!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

^^^^ I have also not had a spare wheel in my last seven newly specified cars, including two Macans. The chances of getting a puncture are low. The majority are slow punctures caused by a nail or screw penetration. That being the case you can "limp" - max 50 mph and no sudden steering or braking - to your nearest tyre depot. If in doubt, then enroute add some air at the nearest petrol station.

If it is a complete loss of pressure, and the tyre is flat, then getting a jack under the car may not be easy. The Macan is a 2 ton beast to lift and so getting the jacking point located is essential to prevent under body damage. The wheel nuts may be difficult to "crack" just using the car's standard wheel wrench. The alloy wheel / tyre assembly is heavy and mucky. If you do succeed in getting it off, then where do you store it if the car is full of people and luggage? All this assumes that you can do it in a place of safely and / or it's not night time. No, I would much rather call Porsche Assist [AA] or a local mobile tyre fitter.

I say all this having spent many years working in the tyre industry and having covered hundereds of thousands of miles, by car, in my life time. I have never had a deflation that left me stranded, but I have had a number of slow punctures over the years. Modern TPMS systemd are now excellent at alerting you.

Many other spares are no longer carried on board - fuel can, light bulbs, alternator belt etc.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

pmg

Post by pmg »

I can see the circumstances when a spare wheel may be needed is reduced by modern TPMS systems and if a car rarely travels outside areas with good mobile phone coverage and of well-populated areas of the UK not carrying one is not a major risk. However, I personally would not visit the hillier less populated areas of the country like MId and North Wales, Highlands of Scotland and the moors of the Southwest without carrying both a spare wheel and compressor and sealant kit
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

I have a family house in Scotland and drive up there an couple of times a year and there is no chuffin way I'm settling for a can of hair spray!
That said my last puncture was in Worcester Park!!!!
Just putting it out there!!!
;-)