Future proofing your order

All your ordering information here!
Papeto

Post by Papeto »

So having specced ACC on my build, I started wondering if I should include some other technologies (comfort and assistance in Porsche speak) on my build. ACC is fast becoming a must have as opposed to a nice to have ( like electric windows in the 80’s;). I intend keeping the car for a long time so was thinking what technologies would be considered must haves in the future. In particular I am considering Self steering park assist and Traffic Jam Assist (incl Lane Keeping Assist).

Self steering park assist has been around for a while, but doesn’t appear to have gained a lot of traction with the motoring public and surround view is standard in Australia. Traffic Jam assist adds Lane Keeping Assist (automated backseat driver) which I am not really keen as me and the car will be fighting over the steering ofthe car. However it could be useful for stop start motoring.

What do forum members think is the options to choose to future proof your order? Or maybe what do your kids think is unmissable in a car these days, that we’ll never have considered ?
2022 Macan S ordered PNEGHKV4

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I did just that mid 2016 when I put together my spec.

Nearly five years later and there is nothing in the current options list that I wish I had definitely included but occasionally I wish that I had included a tow bar.

See my signature for inclusions but do note that what was once an option may well now be standard.

ACC is an option I use all the time, even around town and if it is turned on but the indicator is greyed out the safety braking is still active.

Surcam is excellent.

Heated steering wheel, I use mine more than the heated seats.

I added rear airbags as grandkids are often in the back.

Spare wheel, + a bought inflator kit give additional options.

Downside, some online services require an annual subscription after the free period ends, like traffic updates etc. I buy a pre paid SIM card for streaming services yet rarely use them but again useful when grandkids are onboard
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Joe390

Post by Joe390 »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:05 am I did just that mid 2016 when I put together my spec.

Nearly five years later and there is nothing in the current options list that I wish I had definitely included but occasionally I wish that I had included a tow bar.

See my signature for inclusions but do note that what was once an option may well now be standard.

ACC is an option I use all the time, even around town and if it is turned on but the indicator is greyed out the safety braking is still active.

Surcam is excellent.

Downside, some online services require an annual subscription after the free period ends, like traffic updates etc. I buy a pre paid SIM card for streaming services yet rarely use them but again useful when grandkids are onboard
Out of curiosity, does ACC work in traffic? I.e does it move the car off from stationary in traffic back up to speed again? It mentions operating speeds between 17-75mph so wasn’t sure if this was the case? Still undecided on adding this to our S spec we’ve ordered.
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Joe390 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:27 am
Col Lamb wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:05 am I did just that mid 2016 when I put together my spec.

Surcam is excellent.

Out of curiosity, does ACC work in traffic? I.e does it move the car off from stationary in traffic back up to speed again? It mentions operating speeds between 17-75mph so wasn’t sure if this was the case? Still undecided on adding this to our S spec we’ve ordered.
I don’t believe it does move off from stationary. But what it does do is include additional safety features like auto-braking and pedestrian avoidance. And for those that care about such things it will probably help resale value as pretty much every other premium car on the planet has it fitted as standard.
Joe390

Post by Joe390 »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:12 am

Surcam is excellent.

I don’t believe it does move off from stationary. But what it does do is include additional safety features like auto-braking and pedestrian avoidance. And for those that care about such things it will probably help resale value as pretty much every other premium car on the planet has it fitted as standard.
Ok thanks. I’m sure my OPC will hate me changing our order yet again 😄
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Joe390 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:27 am

Ok thanks. I’m sure my OPC will hate me changing our order yet again 😄
Oh I know that feeling! My OPC hates me too 😂
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Surcam is excellent.

ACC when set remains active right down to a standstill. You then have to take positive action to restart. If you start the car on the throttle ACC remains in standby until reset. I haven't actually tried just pressing reset at a standstill to see if the car moves off.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Papeto

Post by Papeto »

Surcam is excellent.

From the Porsche Good to know app, it appears you need to press the ACC stalk or tap the pedal:

“ The vehicle can be driven off again after being stopped and speed and distance control will be resumed, depending on the operating state of the Adaptive Cruise Control system.

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) active

Press the control stalk on the steering wheel up (position 4, RESUME).
– or –
Press the accelerator pedal briefly.
The vehicle resumes driving automatically.
Drive off again automatically in stop-and-go traffic within a few seconds.”

It be good if app member that currently has CC can confirm. Looks like no love for Active park assist or Traffic Jam assist :(
2022 Macan S ordered PNEGHKV4
Makanik

Post by Makanik »

Papeto wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:04 am

Surcam is excellent.

From the Porsche Good to know app, it appears you need to press the ACC stalk or tap the pedal:

“ The vehicle can be driven off again after being stopped and speed and distance control will be resumed, depending on the operating state of the Adaptive Cruise Control system.

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) active

Press the control stalk on the steering wheel up (position 4, RESUME).
– or –
Press the accelerator pedal briefly.
The vehicle resumes driving automatically.
Drive off again automatically in stop-and-go traffic within a few seconds.”

It be good if app member that currently has CC can confirm. Looks like no love for Active park assist or Traffic Jam assist :(
Yes, if you are using ACC and it brings itself to a halt behind stationary traffic, you can indeed just press the accelerator briefly and it will resume automatic driving. Of course, if you touched the brake when stopping, you will need to both drive off and resume ACC by pushing the stalk up.

Active Park Assist is new for the Macan so no one will have tried it yet (on a Macan). I’m not sure that Traffic Assist is available any more.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

and also once the car in front moves a flick up on the stalk kicks the ACC back in and off you go. The Good to Know app is right!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP