Order Placed

All your ordering information here!
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:35 am .... and you hate him as a result! Col has said nothing maybe doesn't want the hate focused in his direction or the implication that he doesnt "have the ability to drive or concentrate". This has gone a bit OTT. Usefulness of ACC varies with roads and conditions and I dont believe there's a driver in the world who can't ever have a momentary distraction, even Ayrton "Tracky" Senna! Then ACC could save you 3 points or someone else's rear end. I have it for my own reason and several, already mentioned, common to others. Spec what YOU want, need or desire and ignore the howling in here. 🤐
Blimey, are you sure its not you that’s really me posting under another name? Am I sure? I’m so confused.

( agree with every word btw ).

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

It's easy to see how we blokes have started so many wars over the years, even without keyboards.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:35 am .... and you hate him as a result! Col has said nothing maybe doesn't want the hate focused in his direction or the implication that he doesnt "have the ability to drive or concentrate". This has gone a bit OTT. Usefulness of ACC varies with roads and conditions and I dont believe there's a driver in the world who can't ever have a momentary distraction, even Ayrton "Tracky" Senna! Then ACC could save you 3 points or someone else's rear end. I have it for my own reason and several, already mentioned, common to others. Spec what YOU want, need or desire and ignore the howling in here. 🤐
In 1999 I hit a tree in my new Lexus because some idiot in a Volvo stopped around a corner/on a hill. My choice was hit him or try and avoid. I decided to save him for which he thanked me for driving off. My fault as probably going too fast

In 2004 I ran in to the back of somebody on a roundabout - he went, then stopped. As we all know, my fault.

2018 - hit a deer. Braked and took as much avoiding action as I could but still hit it, in Mrs 981

ACC would have not saved me in any of those situations

Yes we all make mistakes but I hate it when people imply they rely on the backup of the electronics
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
Mindthegap

Post by Mindthegap »

Well this has all become a bit tribal hasn’t it?!

ACC is worth it if you will use it. I drive 25k miles a year and I am incredibly grateful for it when crawling along the M1,M25, A1 (insert any other road that gets snarled up). It isn’t a case that I can’t drive or have low concentration. It is because it gets boring maintaining various speeds between 10mph and 40mph for extended periods of time on a long straight road, surrounded by other frustrated drivers who all also need to get somewhere. It just makes the whole thing a little bit easier.

BTW, anyone who argues that it isn’t a safety feature is (in my opinion) being a little short sighted. Accidents do happen. People do lose concentration for just a moment. It happens to everyone, no matter how outstanding you are as a driver.

In the UK originally, and still in the US today, when seat belt laws were introduced, there were/are people saying that they weren’t/aren’t really a safety feature, that you could get trapped in your car, that they were uncomfortable and that they caused distraction. That was (and is) a pretty vacuous argument, as is stating ACC has no safety value.

Personal choice people. You’re not right for having it. You’re not wrong for rejecting it. But the argument should make sense and not be based on dogma.
PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

Tracky wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:00 am
In 1999 I hit a tree in my new Lexus because some idiot in a Volvo stopped around a corner/on a hill. My choice was hit him or try and avoid. I decided to save him for which he thanked me for driving off. My fault as probably going too fast

In 2004 I ran in to the back of somebody on a roundabout - he went, then stopped. As we all know, my fault.

2018 - hit a deer. Braked and took as much avoiding action as I could but still hit it, in Mrs 981

Yes we all make mistakes but I hate it when people imply they rely on the backup of the electronics
This is all God's way of telling you to take the train🤕
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 24-???)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRKIVM50
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 22-Nov 23)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIECDM4
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

PorscheMack wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:08 am

😂😂

It was the station I was driving to when I hit the deer !

Was going to miss a meeting so just dumped car in station car park and worried about it when I got back.
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

Tracky wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:11 am
PorscheMack wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:08 am

😂😂

It was the station I was driving to when I hit the deer !

Was going to miss a meeting so just dumped car in station car park and worried about it when I got back.
Told ya 🤦‍♂️
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 24-???)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRKIVM50
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 22-Nov 23)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIECDM4
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Tracky wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:36 am
Joe390 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:25 am Is the overall view then that ACC isn’t worth it?

We’re still undecided on adding it to the S my wife has ordered. She’s never had it before and doesn’t see the benefit but I’m in two minds given in 4 years time this will likely be a standard/expected option what with all the new safety regulations coming in, plus feedback on the forum seems mixed on its effectiveness compared to other ACC systems on other manufacturers. Would be good to understand general feelings on it.
I hate people that say they ordered it for the safety aspect - they need to consider having a licence at all if they say that.

First had it on a RS4 - barely used it and the active braking was a pain in the arse

Then on my current gen e class AMG. That one was good and far better than the VAG ones. And I used it sometimes because I had it not because I needed it. Still threw false warnings when it thought I was going to die - but unsurprisingly I didn’t because I’m typing this now ….. as I drive along in the dogs Seat which also has it and would seem to be the only benefit to catch up on emails/texts/social media.

Don’t miss it at all and wouldn’t have it (or pay for it) again
The reason some people (including me) say they ordered it for the safety aspect is that ACC comes with PAS (don't you just love the acronyms or TLAs [three letter abreviations] :D ). The safety system is Porsche Active Safe which can only be ordered with ACC. It's PAS that contain the "safety" features of Automatic Emergency Braking and Emergency Brake Assist.

The principle of EBA was first introduced with the Mercedes Benz W211 E Class in 2003. That model had the Bosch SBS braking system which was a fully powered braking system. SBS is no longer but what started with MB has now spread to a number of manufacturers including Porsche. If you rapidly take your foot off the accelerator and brake hard the car's braking system "assists" by applying maximum braking effort. The system came about because MB research showed that all too many drivers failed to brake hard enough in an emergency.

Back to PAS: where fitted, it's always on unless separately turned off via the PCM. It's operation does not interact with ACC. If PAS had been available separately (or fitted as standard), I wouldn't have ordered ACC so that's why I say I ordered ACC for the safety features.

On Monday, travelling northbound on the M5 at 70 ish, the traffic in front suddenly slowed. Because of bright sunlight behind me the brake lights on the car in front did not stand out and it was only when I spotted the rapidly closing gap I became aware of the problem. At the exact moment I lifted my foot from the accelerator, the "Collision Alert" sound and flashed on the screen. When I hit the brakes hard, EBA cut in. I know this because I could feel the ABS system virbrating beneath my foot. I never got closer than two car lengths from the car in front and my flashing brake lights (activated by EBA) must have caught the attention of the guy behind because even though he came a lot closer than two car lengths at least he didn't hit me. so yes, I've had the odd false alarm but I'm glad the car has PAS.

ACC is not something I use a lot but in heavy stop/start traffic it can mean you don't have to sit with your foot on the brake. At a standstill "hold" is activated and stays on until you touch the accelerator or hit "resume". Last Friday I was in an hour long traffic jam and it made life a lot easier (not safer because I was still watching what was going on around me).
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Ah, that's better, balanced and constructive, well done all!

Although ACC might have saved the "ran in to the back of somebody on a roundabout - he went, then stopped" I have two of those on record but always kill the ACC when I see a roundabout, like an American it just can't cope. :lol:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:09 am Ah, that's better, balanced and constructive, well done all!

Although ACC might have saved the "ran in to the back of somebody on a roundabout - he went, then stopped" I have two of those on record but always kill the ACC when I see a roundabout, like an American it just can't cope. :lol:
Unless you've turned it off in the PCM, PAS is still active even when you've turned off ACC.

Certainly the Emergency Automatic Braking part of PAS would help in the roundabout situation. While you're (that's a general you not personal) looking for the next space on the roundabout, the system is still monitoring the situation in front of the car and would sound the alarm (and if necessary start braking) if the car in front has stopped or not moved off.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel