Order Placed

All your ordering information here!
Mindthegap

Post by Mindthegap »

Sweetmeister wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:50 pm
Jim S wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:39 pm
Sweetmeister wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:12 pm Can somebody please tell me how ACC could stop me getting 3 points? I have an accelerator and brake to stop me, oh yes and observation skills. :D
ACC is something I have never used despite having it in the past. Waste of money for me.
I really do like to push on in the right circumstances but I absolutely wouldn’t have a car without ACC after using it for the last ten years in my Audi S4. Set it to the speed you want to go at then it controls as cars speed up and slow down. It’s not perfect but it will help keep your licence clean if you let it, especially in everyday driving and in built up areas at 30/40 mph.

A must in my order for Gen3 GTS.
Normal cruise control does what you describe but when I touch the brake I just have to press the button again!
ACC won’t see a cop stood with a laser gun nearly a mile away, and when you do,it’s already too late.
😴 ACC can’t help you. It also won’t make you look better, it won’t make you smarter, it can’t make people like you, and it won’t give me my hair back. But it is great for the intended purpose, and arguments to the contrary are simply an exercise in being a contrarian 😉

sd1985

Post by sd1985 »

Mindthegap wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:08 am
Sweetmeister wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:50 pm

I really do like to push on in the right circumstances but I absolutely wouldn’t have a car without ACC after using it for the last ten years in my Audi S4. Set it to the speed you want to go at then it controls as cars speed up and slow down. It’s not perfect but it will help keep your licence clean if you let it, especially in everyday driving and in built up areas at 30/40 mph.

Normal cruise control does what you describe but when I touch the brake I just have to press the button again!
ACC won’t see a cop stood with a laser gun nearly a mile away, and when you do,it’s already too late.
😴 ACC can’t help you. It also won’t make you look better, it won’t make you smarter, it can’t make people like you, and it won’t give me my hair back. But it is great for the intended purpose, and arguments to the contrary are simply an exercise in being a contrarian 😉
For me, ACC is good if you do lots of motorway driving. I’ve had it before and hardly ever used it as most of our driving is urban/city. It’s good for fuel economy but so is standard cruise control.
Has some added safety features that should be standard but is expensive at nearly £1k
I never optioned it for the new car, chose extended leather instead.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Sweetmeister wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:12 pm Can somebody please tell me how ACC could stop me getting 3 points? I have an accelerator and brake to stop me, oh yes and observation skills. :D
ACC is something I have never used despite having it in the past. Waste of money for me.

Or just use your eyesight and feet to control the speed !?
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Tracky wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:19 pm
Or just use your eyesight and feet to control the speed !?
Having said in an earlier post why I've got ACC, I only actually use the Cruise Control in slow moving heavy traffic or in areas with Average Speed Cameras, Regardless of speed limits (and I don't mean ignoring them), it's not possible to drive faster than other traffic smoothly using Cruise Control.

ACC doesn't spot the driver in the lane to the left of you speeding and closing the gap to the car in front. You know he/she intends pulling out even if there's no signal and you react accordingly whereas ACC does nothing until the car appears in front when it will brake (and often hard). Neither can it see the car coming up fast in the outside lane so you drop back to create acceleration space as the car overtakes and pull out smoothly and safely behind.

Yes I'm glad my car has it for the reasons outlined in my earlier post but it's no panacea.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Absolutely, it's an aid, not an additoonal driver. Familiarity and practice make it more useful, you pull out to overtake before it cuts your speed. Well illustrated by my trip to Scotland on Sunday. My daughter drove the first half and played with the ACC, her first experience of it. She commented on the difference in use when I took over, I try to avoid its often unnecessary braking when just a "lift off" will do, I have a higher tolerance than it does for a closing gap to the car in front, generally being able to see if its just a blip allowing me to suspend it and then reactivate as the gap stretches again. I'm talking 70ish mph here, not 17 or 27.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP