Macan seating position and seats

All your ordering information here!
Kav1

Post by Kav1 »

Hi All

New member here and great forum! I put down a deposit for a Gen 3 GTS back in July with the following Porsche code: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNP9Q8B7

I popped into my local OPC last week, and lucky enough, they had just received a Gen 3 S in Crayon. The OPC were quite busy, but I managed to get a quick look and interior feel for the car. First thoughts, I found it quite tricky to get a comfortable seating position. I like sitting higher up and usually move my seat to a high position; however, I found my left leg/knee hitting the centre console. The centre console protrudes out, and I just found that whichever high position I tried, my knee would continually hit the centre console. I am 5ft 11inch, so would say of average height and build 😊 ! Wondering if anyone else has come across this? I presume this will not be an issue if I sit lower down and push the seat further back; however, my preference has always been to sit slightly higher.

The car I sat in had 18-way electric sports seats and found that I was sitting on the seat rather than sitting in the seat (if you catch my drift). Also found the side bolsters quite snug and pretty uncomfortable getting in and out of the seat. Should I consider the comfort or GTS seats? Or maybe I just need some more time with a Gen 3 and take it for a test drive?
2020 BMW X4 M Competition - Current
2019 Audi S5 Coupe
2017 BMW M4 Competition
2014 Cayman S
2012 Boxster S

Macaning

Post by Macaning »

Welcome, I have GTS on order and went comfort seats

Tried the sport seats on Cayanne and same notes you mentioned you feel it’s snug

It could be more enjoyable from time to time but just couldn’t risk it on the longer run, Not with my bad back
Ftb

Post by Ftb »

Have you tried the 14 way seats I found these a lot more comfortable
Ask OPC if they have any Macans with them in to try
Good luck 🤞
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Seats are a very personal thing and are one of the few things I think most of us agree on that there is no right or wrong answer and the only option is to park your backside in the different options and see what works best for you. I don’t believe the seats have changed since the Macan was released so no need to wait for a Gen 3 to arrive before you try them.

For what its worth I had exactly the same feeling with the 18 way seats and ended up choosing the 14 way. It would help if the 18 way seats were a lot more expensive. If they cost an extra £1000 I think it would help you decide if you really wanted them or were getting them because they look cool.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome to the forum.

Somewhere in the past one of our member stated that they had a fat ass and did not sit in the 18 way seats, rather they sat on them.

Macaning stated 18 way very aptly…..snug.

Do try 14 way seats, imo they are the ones to choose as you have more fidget room on longer journeys when in an 18 way numbness can set in because of being locked in position.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Kav1 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:46 pm The car I sat in had 18-way electric sports seats and found that I was sitting on the seat rather than sitting in the seat (if you catch my drift). Also found the side bolsters quite snug and pretty uncomfortable getting in and out of the seat. Should I consider the comfort or GTS seats? Or maybe I just need some more time with a Gen 3 and take it for a test drive?
Hi and welcome to the forum.

First thing to be aware of is the 8-way seats in the GTS are not comfort seats, they're unique to the GTS. They're closer in shape to the 18-way seats but without the adjustment capability of the 18-way sports seat. Without sitting in a GTS (of any generation) fitted with these you'll not be able to try them out.

The 18-way seats are almost infinitely adjustable and you have no way of knowing whether any adjustments had been made to the seats you sat in. If you have a test drive in a car fitted with 18-way seats, get the SE to adjust the bolsters to the widest setting and start from there.

A minor point, if you go for the 14-way seats, I believe I'm right in saying you lose the option of having GTS impressed on the seat back (you have to have the Porsche logo instead).

BTW, in keeping with its sports car heritage, Porsche designed the Macan on the basis that you sit "in" it so the seat will be lower than normal for an SUV.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Almost off-topic: you've optioned Lane Keeping Assist. You'll need to get used to indicating every and all lane change manouevres to stop the car fighting you on every lane change.

To me, this is about the most annoying option available and, to be blunt, anyone who can't keep a car in a lane without drifting out of it should not be driving.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Sweetmeister

Post by Sweetmeister »

On-Track wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:12 am Almost off-topic: you've optioned Lane Keeping Assist. You'll need to get used to indicating every and all lane change manouevres to stop the car fighting you on every lane change.

To me, this is about the most annoying option available and, to be blunt, anyone who can't keep a car in a lane without drifting out of it should not be driving.
Agreed, had this on my jag and it is so annoying., I turned it off on the jag after about 2 days, I’d like to think you can turn it off on the Macan.
Macan S on order in Black. Leather and 21’ GT’s- Cancelled. Coming soon 911 GTS. :D
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Kav1 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:46 pm Hi All

New member here and great forum! I put down a deposit for a Gen 3 GTS back in July with the following Porsche code: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNP9Q8B7

The car I sat in had 18-way electric sports seats and found that I was sitting on the seat rather than sitting in the seat (if you catch my drift). Also found the side bolsters quite snug and pretty uncomfortable getting in and out of the seat. Should I consider the comfort or GTS seats? Or maybe I just need some more time with a Gen 3 and take it for a test drive?
Welcome Kav,
Had both 14 and 18 way. Just looked at your chosen spec (agate leather interior) and changing to 14 way would be the right choice for you. I am 5.9 and slim and can confirm for exit entry and long distance travel they are definitely more comfortable.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Macaning

Post by Macaning »

On-Track wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:03 am
Kav1 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:46 pm The car I sat in had 18-way electric sports seats and found that I was sitting on the seat rather than sitting in the seat (if you catch my drift). Also found the side bolsters quite snug and pretty uncomfortable getting in and out of the seat. Should I consider the comfort or GTS seats? Or maybe I just need some more time with a Gen 3 and take it for a test drive?
Hi and welcome to the forum.

First thing to be aware of is the 8-way seats in the GTS are not comfort seats, they're unique to the GTS. They're closer in shape to the 18-way seats but without the adjustment capability of the 18-way sports seat. Without sitting in a GTS (of any generation) fitted with these you'll not be able to try them out.

The 18-way seats are almost infinitely adjustable and you have no way of knowing whether any adjustments had been made to the seats you sat in. If you have a test drive in a car fitted with 18-way seats, get the SE to adjust the bolsters to the widest setting and start from there.

A minor point, if you go for the 14-way seats, I believe I'm right in saying you lose the option of having GTS impressed on the seat back (you have to have the Porsche logo instead).

BTW, in keeping with its sports car heritage, Porsche designed the Macan on the basis that you sit "in" it so the seat will be lower than normal for an SUV.
Even in 14-way seats still the GTS logo is shown in headrest, Am I missing something ?