Wheels 20’s or 21’s

All your ordering information here!
Tom10juve

Post by Tom10juve »

I currently have the 21’s spec’d but they aren’t cheap and I’m not sure I need them, does anyone have any pics showing the standard 20’s? Most I have seen all have the 21’s which just makes me want them even more.

I am not having air suspension, Barely do 5000 miles a year and coming from an rs3 I’ll be fine feeling the bumps!

Keeping it quite standard so far
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNX7WFY3

Tyrrell

Post by Tyrrell »

The trouble is those 21s that you have chosen look absolutely stunning 👍
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPYDQZL5
718 Spyder PTS arriving March 2023.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

What’s the biggest wheels available is usually my question and then I select those. I’m all for looks but a Macan on 21s is still a very decent comfortable ride.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Depends on your definition of 'needs'. Arguably no-one 'needs' 21" wheels and low profile tyres on a two tonne SUV used on public roads. Invariably they are chosen purely for their appearance and the inevitable disadvantages are ignored. As you say, it's a lot of money to spend massaging one's ego.

The Macan is extremely comfortable, even on 21's with steel suspension, although there is more noise, slightly harder ride and more 'thump' through the chassis over the potholes. Tyre and wheel damage is more likely. The best compromise of appearance, cost and comfort is to fit 20" wheels. Go with your head and save a large chunk of cash for something else.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Tom10juve

Post by Tom10juve »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:39 am Depends on your definition of 'needs'. Arguably no-one 'needs' 21" wheels and low profile tyres on a two tonne SUV used on public roads. Invariably they are chosen purely for their appearance and the inevitable disadvantages are ignored. As you say, it's a lot of money to spend massaging one's ego.

The Macan is extremely comfortable, even on 21's with steel suspension, although there is more noise, slightly harder ride and more 'thump' through the chassis over the potholes. Tyre and wheel damage is more likely. The best compromise of appearance, cost and comfort is to fit 20" wheels. Go with your head and save a large chunk of cash for something else.
Fair point, I need to see what the 20’s look like as for me I don’t want to look at the car every day thinking damn I should have just paid for the 21’s! I’ll bug the dealer and see when they have one I can pop in and see.
ianst

Post by ianst »

21s all day, its a big wheelarch

you'll get the forum cliche lot on here saying 20s are more comfortable. ignore it's a compromise on style, why did porsche move to 21s on the gts
MY22 GTS awaiting parts :roll: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN7IVI77
69 Sapphire S: (sold)
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

ianst wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:50 am 21s all day, its a big wheelarch

you'll get the forum cliche lot on here saying 20s are more comfortable. ignore it's a compromise on style, why did porsche move to 21s on the gts
Hang on, I know this one. Because the GTS is all about style over substance?
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

You will find the ride vastly superior to your Audi.

Standard seats are imo cr4p, I would add 14 way as they give adjustment needed.

Also add a spare wheel to give you options.

21” will add extra tyre and road noise but not earth shattering.

Before you pull the plug on your spec do try and test drive a Macan with the same seating, suspension and wheel rim size as you intend to spec and do drive over a mix of road with a fair amount over uneven surfaced ones
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Tom10juve wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:07 am I currently have the 21’s spec’d but they aren’t cheap and I’m not sure I need them, does anyone have any pics showing the standard 20’s? Most I have seen all have the 21’s which just makes me want them even more.

I am not having air suspension, Barely do 5000 miles a year and coming from an rs3 I’ll be fine feeling the bumps!

Keeping it quite standard so far
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNX7WFY3
I actually like the standard 20" wheels. Many of the optional wheel choices are dark coloured so the actual rim is somewhat lost against the tyre wall, and dark wheel arch space; even more so with black bodywork.

The one 21" option that to my eyes looks larger than life is the platinum sport designs, a simple, super easy to clean wheel that really pops

Maybe not everyone's taste but saves £1200 over your current choice
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:48 am Before you pull the plug on your spec do try and test drive a Macan with the same seating, suspension and wheel rim size as you intend to spec and do drive over a mix of road with a fair amount over uneven surfaced ones
Col's advice is sound. The only problem is in the current climate the chances of you finding a demonstrator with basic 8-way seats is somewhere between zero and non-existent.
Last edited by On-Track on Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel