PASM + AIR or just PASM

All your ordering information here!
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

I've had air for two and a half years and love it, however I never have it on the softest setting so no wafting for me. I found the Macans without air that I drove had noisier suspension and rode acceptably well, just not as good as air.

Also, there could possibly be more road noise on concrete surfaces with metal springs rather than air? Just a thought.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.

BanZ

Post by BanZ »

OmniCognateSnr wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:01 pm
BanZ wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:49 pm
OmniCognateSnr wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:46 pm

Worth bearing in mind the GTS rides more firmly than the S though.
Turn the PASM up to 2 lights with air and it’s also very firm and tight and that’s before you drop the car(if you want to). Personally I really rate air and would spec it again if I ordered a second gen3. I feel I can get the Range Rover silky drive in one direction and a tighter race focused drive in the other direction by pressing the button.

As omni said it made him feel ill which I don’t get at all - so all options are dependent on the person buying.
I should have prefaced my comments with “ I have only driven demo cars on air “. Those that have owned a car with air will have a better view than I have. Either way I’ve not ordered it so hopefully I’ll be happy without it. I would certainly be worried with it. I really don’t like the Range Rover waft.
Waft is a bit unfair - to me it’s just a silky smooth ride where you don’t fee a lot of the lumps and bumps(or where I live, speed bumps) it’s good when cruising on the motorway and pleasant for kids in the back in child seats.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I think it’s pretty fair to say all Macans with steel or air and with all wheel sizes ride smoothly, but especially compared with known hard rides like BMWs with runflats. There will always be individuals who will express an extreme view but, as Omni says, it’s more the person than the car. Some can feel a slight floatiness on the softest air setting but many can’t, and only a miniscule number, around two or three, have reported on here experiencing travel sickness. As always, the advice is to take an extended test drive in cars with the options you are considering.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

BanZ wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:45 pm
OmniCognateSnr wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:01 pm
BanZ wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:49 pm

Turn the PASM up to 2 lights with air and it’s also very firm and tight and that’s before you drop the car(if you want to). Personally I really rate air and would spec it again if I ordered a second gen3. I feel I can get the Range Rover silky drive in one direction and a tighter race focused drive in the other direction by pressing the button.

As omni said it made him feel ill which I don’t get at all - so all options are dependent on the person buying.
I should have prefaced my comments with “ I have only driven demo cars on air “. Those that have owned a car with air will have a better view than I have. Either way I’ve not ordered it so hopefully I’ll be happy without it. I would certainly be worried with it. I really don’t like the Range Rover waft.
Waft is a bit unfair - to me it’s just a silky smooth ride where you don’t fee a lot of the lumps and bumps(or where I live, speed bumps) it’s good when cruising on the motorway and pleasant for kids in the back in child seats.
I didn’t mean anything negative by waft. Cars like Rollers are know for “waft” and are desired by many because of it. For me means that floaty disconnected feel that you want in a luxury limo. The Macan isn’t a luxury limo though, its a SUV.

I do think this is a very individual thing though, and absolutely something you need to decide for yourself.
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

The whole point of air on a macan is that you can wind it up or wind it down.

I have only driven a Gen 2 Turbo on 21" with air but found a great difference between firm and hard with chrono/pasm settings.

And believe me I thrashed it harder round the PEC than I ever would my own car!!!! (What a day!!!!)

Having the options was great as the car will be used for fun (hard) and also to ferry my elderly woman parents from time to time (soft) so really is the perfect solution.

:-)
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

Not sure how the word 'woman' appeared in my last???
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I had a Macan with PASM and 20” rims and it rode great

I have a Macan with PASM, 20” rims and Air and it rides better.

The ride quality for me on Air is much superior than it was with my PASM only Macan but that is subjective but having back issues I need comfort and a smooth ride.

Ride is a very personal thing and yes members here have reported it as being floating and wallowing giving them motion sickness of which I do not doubt.

Hence try before you buy.

I did just that with my current car but had to drive a Macan with air on the country roads around the PEC to see if either my Wife or I had any motion induced sickness. Having to wait until I visited the PEC to check out a Macan with air did have its drawbacks in that I had to turn down two early build offers as I had not test driven a Macan with air.

My advice for years is decide on the variant, seats, suspension, wheels, and steering then have an extended test drive of a Macan with the same core spec.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:50 am I had a Macan with PASM and 20” rims and it rode great

Don't 20" rims qualify as "bling" which you have heartily, and correctly, decried elsewhere on this forum quite recently?

😁😁
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:10 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:50 am I had a Macan with PASM and 20” rims and it rode great

Don't 20" rims qualify as "bling" which you have heartily, and correctly, decried elsewhere on this forum quite recently?

😁😁
Yep, but in defence Macan 1 was a preconfigured showroom car I bought to avoid the ten month wait.

I sort of like spending hours and hours cleaning the damn 20” Spyders so I specc’ed them on the Turbo to keep up with the cleaning equivalent of self flagellation.

The original external mirrors were well stuck on using what looked like a bit of shaped drain pipe you can buy in Wickes and whatever colour your Macan was the mirror standoffs were Merc quality black, so the SD Mirrors were really a necessity at the time.

My one bit of unnecessary bling is my Aluminium Gear Shift, it is sculptural, very tactile and ……
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
DiverNick

Post by DiverNick »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:10 pm

😁😁
But now std on the new S!