Build allocations only

All your ordering information here!
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Old Chimer wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:15 pm
Bluesnose1812 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:59 pm
Old Chimer wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:54 pm What this thread has left me feeling is how apparently inequitable the ordering process is.
Yes. If they can use JIT to build 1000 cars a day and a configurator that sucks probably an extra 10% in options, Then it should be simple to build a website that shows you exactly where your car is in the pipeline.
It's the allocation of build dates that I'm struggling to understand. So many examples of posters having ordered at similar times getting build dates several months apart. I've watched the documentary of Macans being built and what is hugely impressive is the total flexibility to build pretty much any model/colour/spec in any order. This makes the disparity in build dates to order dates completely incomprehensible to my mind.
I think as a factory they are not building cars for individual customers but rather building for their customer which is the particular OPC? If that is the case there will be many factors affecting allocations such as profitability of the OPC, how many cars they are shifting on average, past performance etc etc
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0

Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

Jon A wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:23 pm I think as a factory they are not building cars for individual customers but rather building for their customer which is the particular OPC? If that is the case there will be many factors affecting allocations such as profitability of the OPC, how many cars they are shifting on average, past performance etc etc
Sorry, but I don't buy that. Where a customer places an order shouldn't (imho) have any relevance to the sequence in which that order is fulfilled.
'22 Macan S, GB, 14W/XL, AAS, PA/SV, ACC, LCA, PG, HF/RS, VFS, EETS, 75L, etc, etc.
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Old Chimer wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:15 pm
Bluesnose1812 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:59 pm
Old Chimer wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:54 pm What this thread has left me feeling is how apparently inequitable the ordering process is.
Yes. If they can use JIT to build 1000 cars a day and a configurator that sucks probably an extra 10% in options, Then it should be simple to build a website that shows you exactly where your car is in the pipeline.
It's the allocation of build dates that I'm struggling to understand. So many examples of posters having ordered at similar times getting build dates several months apart. I've watched the documentary of Macans being built and what is hugely impressive is the total flexibility to build pretty much any model/colour/spec in any order. This makes the disparity in build dates to order dates completely incomprehensible to my mind.
I can understand cars jumping around in position once ordered. A base model with no options would not be affected if Foot and Mouth decimated the leather supply line - but just let us know that our order is slipping!
As to dealer allocation that is a contractual problem. If a dealer has committed to buy 30 Macans a year but demand peaks to 60 all he can do is beg steal or borrow from other dealers. I'll give you one 911 for three Macan slots
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:31 pm I can understand cars jumping around in position once ordered. A base model with no options would not be affected if Foot and Mouth decimated the leather supply line - but just let us know that our order is slipping!
As to dealer allocation that is a contractual problem. If a dealer has committed to buy 30 Macans a year but demand peaks to 60 all he can do is beg steal or borrow from other dealers. I'll give you one 911 for three Macan slots
So you're suggesting a manufacturer with an almost infinitely flexible production line for the model has a completely inflexible contractual relationship with the retailers it supplies. That just doesn't make economic sense, never mind ethical sense.
'22 Macan S, GB, 14W/XL, AAS, PA/SV, ACC, LCA, PG, HF/RS, VFS, EETS, 75L, etc, etc.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Old Chimer wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:38 pm
Bluesnose1812 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:31 pm I can understand cars jumping around in position once ordered. A base model with no options would not be affected if Foot and Mouth decimated the leather supply line - but just let us know that our order is slipping!
So you're suggesting a manufacturer with an almost infinitely flexible production line for the model has a completely inflexible contractual relationship with the retailers it supplies. That just doesn't make economic sense, never mind ethical sense.
It makes sense if you need also to protect the financial position of the retailers. Few would invest in retailers if there was no guarantee of a certain no of build slots.

And in response to the previous comment, I have never seen any suggestions on the forum or elsewhere of OPC's dealing 911 slots for Macan slots or vica-versa
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Technically it is entirely feasible to connect Porsche or other brand website to the Configurator, Production Planning, and Distribution systems to present ATP (available to promise) date on e.g. logged-in site, however…

Most OEMs want OPCs to have the relationship with bandwidth-intensive customers, like us. Just imagine the call centre in Stuttgart dealing with angry mob, because of distribution or logistical issues. It’s easier to provide the info to the SE at the OPC, who is trained to manage expectations and sell few optional extras in the process.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

pmg wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:57 pm
Old Chimer wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:38 pm
It makes sense if you need also to protect the financial position of the retailers. Few would invest in retailers if there was no guarantee of a certain no of build slots.

And in response to the previous comment, I have never seen any suggestions on the forum or elsewhere of OPC's dealing 911 slots for Macan slots or vica-versa
Neither have I. It was an example, metaphor or joke as you wish :D
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
Winryn

Post by Winryn »

Old Chimer wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:29 pm
Jon A wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:23 pm I think as a factory they are not building cars for individual customers but rather building for their customer which is the particular OPC? If that is the case there will be many factors affecting allocations such as profitability of the OPC, how many cars they are shifting on average, past performance etc etc
Sorry, but I don't buy that. Where a customer places an order shouldn't (imho) have any relevance to the sequence in which that order is fulfilled.
The dealerships are franchises and not Porsche owned. Investment is based on potential returns. Certain areas have much higher overheads and need to shift more cars to cover the costs. It’s not unique to Porsche, allocations are always based on previous sales history. It’s the only way they can forecast targets, staffing etc etc. no point giving 50 cars to a dealership that will only sell 10 and 50 to a dealership who can sell 200.

I imagine Tesla run a more transparent ordering system. Online sales will create a genuine first come first served line of business. But then they have an online sales system direct with the manufacturer and don’t have franchises they have to keep sweet.

I had to order 100 miles away to speed up the process. Selling twice as many cars as my local dealership means they have twice as many allocations. I’ve always done the same
Deleted User 4325

Post by Deleted User 4325 »

They're not all franchises.

Porsche, as in Porsche in Germany, wholly owns Porsche GB and Porsche GB has 5 dealers, Reading, Guildford, Hatfield, Mayfair and West London.

504 posts!
Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

Okay, so tomorrow morning I should place a £3k deposit with as many OPCs as I choose to, wait to see which gives me the earliest build slot and then cancel the orders with all the others. If everyone did that it would make a mockery of dealer forecasts and play havoc with their budgets.