Thoughts on my Macan S spec and a few questions

All your ordering information here!
Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

alians1109 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:51 am 4 - Auto dimming mirrors front and rear at £252

I see you've spec'd privacy glass. I've seen quite a few comments on here that privacy helps a lot re this. Based on comments (including feedback from my SE) I've personally not spec'd the dimming mirrors.
Out of interest, if you don't spec the auto-dimming, presumably you at least get a manual dipping for the rear view mirror instead?
'22 Macan S, GB, 14W/XL, AAS, PA/SV, ACC, LCA, PG, HF/RS, VFS, EETS, 75L, etc, etc.

BanZ

Post by BanZ »

Picture of rear of new S macan that you wanted. May also help you decide if you want to colour code rear apron. Personally from a visual I don’t think there is a need. Could be useful though if you want to apply your own paint protection e.g. wax as any wax falling off the car would drop on paint not bumper but I think that’s the only need.

25A15846-9C6C-4351-A9E1-ABE5D3A9DEBE.jpeg

BanZ

Post by BanZ »

didsby wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:43 pm Hi All
Hoping to finalise my build this week and have a few spec questions. I have tried to search for answers but with limited success:

1 - Exhaust
Does anyone have a rear on photo of the new S with the standard exhaust? I don’t want to pay for the sports exhaust and would rather not pay for the tips either!

2 - Headlights
I have currently ticked the £320 for LED main headlights with Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus). What are the standard lights and how does functionality differ? Is the consensus that this is money well spent

3 - Roof Rails
Wasn’t intending to spec these but if I did want to mount onto the roof in the future (unlikely but not impossible) is it possible without the rails?

4 - Auto dimming mirrors front and rear at £252
Once again consensus if required?

5 - Mechanical roll-up sunblind for rear
Money well spent if considering ‘family planning’?!

PN6PFFE0
http://www.porsche-code.com/PN6PFFE0

Also in addition to the above, my current build has pretty much everything I want on it and cost has ended up c. £1-1.5k more than initially planned. Views on what to cut back on if I wanted to bring it back a little?

Finally - still deliberating colour!!
:shock:
TIA

2. Standard headlights are awesome! Huge improvement over most cars. PDSL+ I think you are only paying for if you want auto dipping of full beams - which is a nice feature(should be standard!)

3. There are after market but if you think you are likely to use them I’d spec the Porsche ones. I haven’t as I can’t imaging ever using a roof box in the next 3 years.

4. I don’t even know what auto dimming mirrors are :shock: so I didn’t spec them and I haven’t noticed dazzle from behind… I do have privacy glass though so maybe that helps?
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

Oh and 5. I have a two year old daughter in a front facing car seat in the rear and privacy glass has made a huge difference since we got the car, I didn’t go for blinds. I’ve only had it since October though so can’t vouch for what summer might be like but we drove another car over Xmas and she was complaining the sun was in her eyes without the privacy glass…
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

didsby wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:43 pm
Finally - still deliberating colour!!

TIA
I wanted a dark colour and went for Night Blue but was outvoted by the Chairman. She wants black to match her black Mini. As my option spec is now £6k over my original £60k budget I deferred :)
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

In terms of your spec my thoughts(but we all have thoughts so go with your gut feel when you make final choices!)

I don’t know if you will notice the painted exterior on volcano as it blends in with the bumper colour unlike lighter colours.

I think crest on headrests is a nice touch and if you do front only it’s cheap, not sure I’d ever notice on the arm rest.

I haven’t missed not having the heated windscreen button over the winter so far(I do live in the south tbf) but the max heating button in the cabin does a good job for me.

If you get a chance to see/try one I’d debate the GT steering wheel as you are already paying for heated steering wheel so it’s a really cheap upgrade and looks nice than the standard one(I’d now spec it if I bought another macan).

I’d consider trying surround view, I have reverse cam and it’s a bit underwhelming in trying to help you with a wide car on uk roads.

You said you want to spec air suspension and I’ve been a huge fan of it since I bought mine so it’s a double thumbs up from me on that! Plus you get the benefit from it every time you drive!

Last one but it’s very personal I have been unimpressed by the Bose - doesn’t feel like an £800 sound system at all to me. So maybe try the standard if you get a chance with your SE and see if you would live with it.

Hope that helps.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Welcome to the forum.

1 - Exhaust
Someone else has already posted a picture of the standard exhaust. You only pay extra if you want to go for black or chrome tips

2 - Headlights
The "plus" option gives you auto-dipping of the headlights and the cornering lights come on at junctions that the sat nav knows you are planning to turn at. The standard cornering lights come on when you turn the wheel at slow speeds.

3 - Roof Rails
Regardless of what others have said, you can only have roof rails fitted at build. it's the roof transportation system that you can source from elsewhere if you need it.

4 - Auto dimming mirrors front and rear at £252
I've had these on all three of my Porsche SUVs and think its a great option but then I've no experience of a car without them.

5 - Mechanical roll-up sunblind for rear
As others have said, waste of money once you've specced privacy glass.

I would delete the "Sports Design" option. If you want the front and rear aprons painted you can do that for half the price.

You should seriously consider upgrading your reversing camera to "Surround View". It makes a tremendous difference for not much money.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Peter's given concise and excellent info, I'd add:
1. Standard are brushed stainless steel, lovely in my opinion;
2. Seen comments that street sign reflection can make the + version react unnecessarily, hence, I've stuck with the pure PDLS;
3. I like the look, they are useful for balance when washing the roof, otherwise for the cost and frequency of use, hire a van or beg a favour somewhere :)
4. I've spec'd these due to recent experience and others' headlights seem 10x brighter than they used to be;
5. I'm now past family planning, no opinion!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Sweetmeister

Post by Sweetmeister »

Personally I would get rid off the dimming mirrors, the pdls + and also the Bose,general consensus is the Bose is not worth the upgrade cost over standard. Have you specced the pan roof?, bin the rest and add pan roof if not already added..
Macan S on order in Black. Leather and 21’ GT’s- Cancelled. Coming soon 911 GTS. :D
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Mixed opinions on auto dimming mirrors, but what many forget is that privacy glass does nothing for reducing the glare from the exterior mirrors for the driver and front seat passenger. The worst glare situations are when other vehicles approach from behind in an outer lane of a motorway or dual carriageway. Although their lights may be dipped, which is usually to the left, this means they shine particularly strongly into your offside door mirror. It’s worse now with brighter LED lights, especially on higher vehicles like SUVs. And it’s a fairly low cost option.

The auto dipping function of PDLS+ can be slow to react, at least slower than an attentive driver, and doesn’t ‘anticipate’ the need to dip when you see other vehicle lights approaching around a bend.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA