My first Porsche order

All your ordering information here!
MoonageMin

Post by MoonageMin »

Hi guys new member here, thank you in advance for the warm welcome. :D

I have been living abroad for a year and just returned to Blighty and need to buy a car for myself.
For now, I can share my wife’s Mini Countryman and after much deliberation, I think a Porsche Macan would be the perfect car for my needs and wants.

Prior to this I have been predominantly a BMW owner, my latest car being X5, 325i, 330i Coupe, VW Golf, Mini in reverse chronological order.
Also probably worth mentioning that I have always had metallic black for my car, and I want something different now.

So this will be my first entry into Porsche ownership.

X5 was lovely but I think for my next car I wanted something a little smaller as I never needed the extra space, although I did appreciate the spaciousness.
Maybe it’s worth mentioning I have 2 kids (8 & 5) that will occupy the rear seats, and I checked YouTube to make sure a full golf bag fits in the boot without the need to take the longer clubs out, so it fits all my regular need for space.

I started looking at X3, Defenders, etc and now settled on a Macan S as my next car.

I have a test drive booked on 21st June at Porsche Centre in Guildford and planning to place an order then too.

Initially, I wanted an all-out Macan GTS in Python Green. But the long wait time and the missus’s voice of reason have me looking at a white Macan S build now.

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8NNZG1

This is what I am currently looking at as my build, and wanted to get some opinions and collective wisdom of those who have gone before me on this forum.

Things I am deliberating over, and hoping the test drive and seeing samples in the flesh would help me decide are:

1) Standard white vs Carrera White, does it make a difference? I can't really tell much from photos online, worth the extra £741?
2) I do like the look of Black rims with Red calipers, but I guess this isn't worth going GTS for, so maybe just keep the standard wheels.
3) I was going to go with Extended leather pack in Bordeaux Red (White and red being a tried and tested good combo), but the missus likes the look of the Pebble Grey. Is White and Pebble Grey too much? Not sure on the combo.
4) If going red, is extended leather pretty good, or would standard leather be enough?
5) 14-way comfort seat vs 18 way sport seat?
6) Seat ventilation I know is probably not a popular option here, but I get hot easily, and missus get's cold easily. Love the idea of airconditioned seat, and with the option to have it on in the winter when I am hot, but keep the heater on for the missus. (a bit like how she sometimes use heated seats when we blast the aircon in the summer to regulated her temp)
7) I think the black window trims and black door handles looks great on the white, just not sure if it's worth £333 extra for just that.
8) Also quite like the look of the Gloss Black exterior pack, but don't like the fact the spoiler is now white instead of the standard black so I didn't pick it
9) Panoramic sun roof? What's the consensus on that? I saw a video saying the Pano causes leaks with washer fluid.
10) I thought I liked tinted out rear lights, but when I see Macan's around near me, I realised I actually like the red light strip of the standard better, hence didn't pick that.
11) I selected, Air suspension (we liked in on our X5), Sports Chrono, Sports Exhaust system. any of those a no no?
12) £93 for a bigger fuel tank seems decent value to me, what are people's experience with it like?
13) I always wanted a car with red calipers (vain I know), so keeping that as is
14) I read on here that the auto dimming mirrors don't work so well with privacy glass so I didn't select it, does tinted headlights make a difference?
15) brushed aluminium with pebble also seems a bit................meh, but carbon is expensive, and I can see piano black being finger print magnet
16) £342 for contrast seatbelts!!!! but it is so tempting
17) Selected the GT sports steering wheel, not sure if it's worth it, hoping I can see both at the test drive and decide
18) Side airbags in the rear for the kiddos
19) I like the surround camera, especially just to help me out on keeping the rims clean, not sure if I need anything else. Never really had issues with knowing speed limits, doubt I ever use the self park assist especially with the surround camera optioned, Blind spot seems interesting, but I have a feeling I would still turn my head to check regardless, Lane keeping assist and adaptive cruise control..... not sure if I drive enough to justify the digital aid, probably will just encourage me to check my phone while in the car.
20) Does the Ioniser actually do anything in reality?
21) I think the base sound is probably adequate for in-car listening for me, unless someone can add from their experience that Bose or Burmester is a must?

Moon
Last edited by MoonageMin on Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macan GTS - September build allocation

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Welcome!
Golf bag/clubs not an issue, just lose the net from the little cubbyhole in the boot.
2) Standard are good, easily cleaned too and you could get the painted later if you feel the need.
3) Mix it up and have contrasting seat centres. The confuserator isn't good at showing them though.
5) I've wished a few times I had the extra side support, that extra power with the 2.9l seems to make a difference. Definitely a test drive decision.
6) First car didn't have it, I'll keep this one longer (honest) so ticked the box.
7) I stumped up on my silver, need I say more?
9) A personal choice, you'll get both sides here, helps resale it seems, if you care about that.
11) PSE seems pointless to me, but each to their own.
12) Had it on both Macans, still have to fill up too often :lol:
14) Purely cosmetic.
20) My OPC said it takes 2 hours to "clean" the air but by then you've open a door!
21) A must for somebody else doesn't make it a must for you!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
MoonageMin

Post by MoonageMin »

Thank you Neil some great feedback.
I’m looking forward to the test drive but your comments did make some of the decision a little easier.

I reckon the little ones will love the pano, I’m slightly concerned about the additional heat during summer. Never had sun roof before so on the fence about it.
Macan GTS - September build allocation
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

1. I have Carrara (check spelling) on the 911 and it has more of a pop to it so I’d say worth it
3. As neil says, go black with contrast centre. Will be nice than your current choice against white
6. Mrs said today when we took 911 out, wish you had the ventilated seats!
7. If going white the only other colour you want is black so do it
9. No issues with our roof. I’d get it. Lightens interior up nicely
10. Personally I didn’t like the way the red brings another colour to the car so went tinted. I also have tinted front which would like nice on white
11. Sports chrono always causes arguments here. I have it on my 911 and barely use it. Just plonk it in sport and done. Sport plus too harsh
12. Bigger tank no brainer. Boring filling it up mind
16. Red belts on a white car with red calipers will look nice. Have them on 911
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

MoonageMin wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:36 pm Thank you Neil some great feedback.
I’m looking forward to the test drive but your comments did make some of the decision a little easier.

I reckon the little ones will love the pano, I’m slightly concerned about the additional heat during summer. Never had sun roof before so on the fence about it.
It will cool down and it has an electric inner shade

You and the Mrs will be fine with your cooled seats anyway !!
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Try ventilated seats if you can, they are a little firmer to sit on than non ventilated.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

More applicable for a second hand Macan but my take on the options is included.

MACAN.

Model variant to suit your lifestyle.

Gen 1 Macan’s had limited standard fittings ie no mobile phone, no rear seat heating, no sat nav, a very basic PCM, so I now call these Gen 1A.

Gen 1B had rear seat seat heating, mobile phone prep, and an updated PCM included as standard. Apple Car Play included with Connect but the onboard Jukebox reduced from 30Gb to 10Gb and the standard audio system changed. Base, S, SD, GTS, Turbo & Turbo PP being the lineup with both the Turbo
PP and GTS being introduced in 2016. LED lighting introduced in mid 2016, prior lighting was either Halogen (completely useless) or Bi Xenon.

Gen 2 had updated PCM, switchgear and rear lightbar plus different engines and cosmetics.

Gen 3 has a limited model choice, minor cosmetic changes and more powerful engines with the T included in the lineup.

Suggested inclusions to look out for in a pre-owned Macan or to consider adding to your spec if the variant does not include them as standard:-

PASM, vastly improves ride comfort and handling. Without PASM ride will be hard and unforgiving. Air suspension is an option but one best subjected to a very long test drive in an air equipped Macan to verify that motion sickness is not induced.
14 or 18 way seats, standard 8 way can be very unsupportive and uncomfortable. 14 way are the most comfortable but 18 way have a very snug fit for small and medium build people, large framed people will tend to sit on the 18 way instead of in them. 18 way has the extra 4 ways which are purely adjustment of the side bolsters.
Wheels, to suit but do consider the ease of cleaning. Wheels have changed since the Macan was released with Classics and Spyders being initially the most popular and then the Turbo design took over top spot.
Spare wheel, should be a no brainer to include in the options, having a spare wheel and buying a separate repair kit gives options in the event of a flat. Consider how you will manage if there is no mobile signal or if the flat occurs after garage closing time if you do not have any means to change or repair the flat.
Surround Cam, vastly more useful that RevCam, gives selectable views around whole of the car. Checkout rear quarter vision when you sit in a Macan, you will find it limited.
ACC (auto cruise), works effectively and includes an auto braking system (PAS) if active but not engaged. The Standard Cruise Control is fixed speed only.
PS+, gives power assisted steering only at parking speeds, as the car increases in speed the assistance reduces to zero.
Heated steering wheel, my personal favourite. If you have cold hands or circulation problems as I do then this optional extra I have found to be used much more than heated seats.
Upgraded audio, moot point and dependent upon your preferences. Bose is expensive for what it is but I personally like the tone and vibrancy of the system. Early Gen 1A Macan’s had a Bose version which differed from Gen 1B (Q3 2016) and the early standard system also changed. The inbuilt hard drive started as 30Gb but this was reduced to 10Gb mid 2016.
Storage Pack, useful if only to provide the pockets on the rear of the front seats to disguise the acres of plastic.
Sports Chrono, not strictly necessary but does improve the engine and gearbox response as well as providing an additional suspension setting. On newer Macan’s the control is near the steering wheel and activation gives a limited timed boost in engine performance.
75 litre fuel tank, extra range of the larger tank can be useful.
Pano roof, lightens a dark interior. Subjective as to its usefulness and an OPC will probably advise that it improves desirability when it is trade in time. Blocked drains are a weak point in that if blocked water can seep into the interior.
Headlights, Halogen (avoid any Macan with these or carry two powerful torches), Xenon, then LEDs has been fitted to the car with PDLS or PDLS+. LED’s are the ones to include in your must haves if you drive out of town at night for a significant proportion of the time.
Pano roof, often quoted by an SE as a very desirable inclusion, plus point is that it does lighten a quite dark interior. Points to watch is that they need the seals lubrication but the drains can clog and periodically need cleaning through, look for stains on the headling. A useful bit of self maintenance is to cycle the Pano fully closed > fully open > full tilt > full closed once a month and to open and close the internal mesh Pano screen.

Early Macan’s had issues with transfer boxes, discs can wear at a higher rate than expected, oil leak. If buying used check service history and that it is up to date with service bulletins. Don’t forget to check tyre tread depth, a set of N rated tyres can be expensive. Fuel consumption as shown on the MFD in front of drivers seat can display 10% above actual.

Test drive for an extended session your chosen variant, which should have the same suspension, wheel size, seating and power steering as you intend to specify.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Jon A wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:19 pm Try ventilated seats if you can, they are a little firmer to sit on than non ventilated.
It might be that that sometimes makes me think the sides bolsters in the Gen3 are less noticeable than they were in the Gen2, leading to my previous comment. Try before you buy stands, although finding an example with ventilated seats might be difficult without travelling to Sheffield :lol:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Jon A wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:19 pm Try ventilated seats if you can, they are a little firmer to sit on than non ventilated.
It might be that that sometimes makes me think the sides bolsters in the Gen3 are less noticeable than they were in the Gen2, leading to my previous comment. Try before you buy stands, although finding an example with ventilated seats might be difficult without travelling to Sheffield :lol:
2japs

Post by 2japs »

All good stuff posted above, I will add and it’s only my preference, if going white and black hi gloss window surround/ door handles / mirrors and keeping hi gloss for spoiler, I would ditch the lava sideblades and go hi gloss or white, easier to clean as well!
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)