GTS order in - thoughts on spec

All your ordering information here!
jonpinky

Post by jonpinky »

So after months of debating whether I want to wait a year for a new car, I’ve finally joined the waiting list for a GTS (if I did it before, I’d be driving it now I know…).
Specced the following as a placeholder, but thinking about a few options so would appreciate thoughts, comments.

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PRPPXGD7

- Seats – I tend to think the 8-way should be fine or are the 18 way that much better?
- Pano roof – was kind of talked into this one but not sure whether I’ll see the benefit. We have this now and to be honest the cover is over about half the time.
- Torque vectoring – initially included this, but then thought its not a 911 so is it really needed. Would I notice the difference on the road?
- Steering wheel – what is the difference between the normal and GT wheel? Are these the same size? There was only one Macan in the showroom I ordered, that had the race-tex/carbon wheel which felt lovely, possibly a bit smaller than the one I test drove but difficult to say.
- Bose – thinking I’ll spec this but is it a noticeable difference in quality over standard?
- Extended leather – I’ve gone for this one rather than the GTS interior to get the darker rev counter rather than the silver with the GTS, but not sure if there is another way of doing this.

Think those are the things going through my mind at the moment, sure there will be more before the lock in date comes but is there anything I’m missing or people wish the did/didn’t tick?

This is my first Macan, coming from a 335d so any thoughts appreciated.
Macan GTS (April 2024) - PRHFCP21

Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Hey - Welcome and congrats! First exciting step, done.

You'll get lots, and lots, and lots of opinions here. It's a great wealth of knowledge, but at the end of the day you'll have to go with a bit of gut feel on some things as there will be just as many strong opinions for and against almost every option.

You can check my GTS spec in my signature, seems similar to yours. I'll add my thoughts on your specific questions and add any thoughts of my own below:

Seats - It's worth knowing the 'standard' GTS seats are specific to the GTS (and shared with the T) - they are a sport seat and an upgrade from the basic seats found in Macan S & base. I stuck with the 8 ways and find them very, very comfy. At first I wish they had a under thigh adjustment (my previous car had this) but once I got used to that I've found them incredibly comfy - I've done 6 hour driving days in the car no issue. Others here however won't set foot in a Macan that doesn't have 18 ways.

Pano roof - Lots of people here like the pano roof as they said it brightens the cabin and is more attractive for resell. Those against cite historical issues with the drainage becoming blocked and that fact you're adding a bunch of weight super high up on the vehicle. I didn't spec this as I like a dark cabin and am aware in live in the UK.

Torque vectoring - Another very divisive topic. There is lots on the net about this one, have a Google for 'Macan PTV or not' or similar and you'll find lots of posts on it from here and other forums. Despite what others may think, I believe the PTV+ helps counter one of the downsides of an AWD system - understeer. So I have specced it on mine. You do have to be 'pushing on' to really feel it kick in, but when it does it does feel amazing. I am glad I specced it.

Steering wheel - The GT wheel is slightly smaller, has all black trim/inserts and is made of a slightly more plusher leather. I have specced the heated version and I love it - it's a lovely little bit of luxury on your main contact point with the vehicle, and the heater is great in winter.

Bose - Divisive again. I have specced this because I am a bit of an audio nerd (but don't have Burmester money) and I like the system a lot. I didn't listen to a standard system, but I came from a car that had a B&O system and I really didn't want to risk a downgrade here.

Extended leather - If you spec "GTS extended leather/Race-Tex interior in Black" under 'Standard Interior' then it doesn't effect your rev counter. I wish I specced this, but everyone has a budget and I needed the extending rear tow!

Further comments:

GTS exterior package painted in satin Black - Make sure you can check this in person if you can. I did not like this option as it gives you less of the paint you spent £741 on! And I don't think it particularly makes the car look more sporty.

Power steering plus - Some won't be without this, some think it's useless. I'm in the second camp. The 'standard' power steering is absolutely fine at low speed. Maybe try test a car with/without.

Heated windscreen - I didn't spec this, and I've not missed it. Even in the heavy frost we had recently, the blowers cleared the screen by the time I messed about setting up my destination in Google Maps!

Hope that helps, good luck! Can't go wrong really.
Last edited by Plyphon on Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Interesting comment on the seats. The standard T seats and the 18-way sports seats look very similar indeed to the GTS seats; what are the differences (other than the extra adjustments on the 18-way)?
2023 Macan T - http://www.porsche-code.com/PPMPKF77
Due 2025: Cayenne S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PRBH59L6
2023 Audi S6 Avant
Suzuki Jimny
Mini Cooper
MoonageMin

Post by MoonageMin »

jonpinky wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:18 pm So after months of debating whether I want to wait a year for a new car, I’ve finally joined the waiting list for a GTS (if I did it before, I’d be driving it now I know…).
Specced the following as a placeholder, but thinking about a few options so would appreciate thoughts, comments.

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PRPPXGD7

- Seats – I tend to think the 8-way should be fine or are the 18 way that much better?
- Pano roof – was kind of talked into this one but not sure whether I’ll see the benefit. We have this now and to be honest the cover is over about half the time.
- Torque vectoring – initially included this, but then thought its not a 911 so is it really needed. Would I notice the difference on the road?
- Steering wheel – what is the difference between the normal and GT wheel? Are these the same size? There was only one Macan in the showroom I ordered, that had the race-tex/carbon wheel which felt lovely, possibly a bit smaller than the one I test drove but difficult to say.
- Bose – thinking I’ll spec this but is it a noticeable difference in quality over standard?
- Extended leather – I’ve gone for this one rather than the GTS interior to get the darker rev counter rather than the silver with the GTS, but not sure if there is another way of doing this.

Think those are the things going through my mind at the moment, sure there will be more before the lock in date comes but is there anything I’m missing or people wish the did/didn’t tick?

This is my first Macan, coming from a 335d so any thoughts appreciated.
Hey mate,

I just ordered a Macan GTS as well, with a build date for September, expected delivery in October.
This will also be my first Porsche, coming from a long history of BMW ownership other than the odd Mini and a Golf sprinkled in there, most recent being an X5.

So my opinions are probably the least valid ones you would get as I’m speaking from a position of zero ownership experience but thought it might be helpful from the perspective of someone who’s also doing a BMW to Porsche Macan GTS transition, and it’s only based on the few test drives I have done and material amounts of desk research I have done across various forums and the like.

(My build for reference: PR5KMI62)

- I picked 18 ways because I wanted seat ventilation but I think this is quite personal so seating in both of you can would be a good shout. Although many here mentions that 8 way is comfortable, and 18 way is quite a bit more expensive depending on your disposable income. So worth trying before consideration?
- Pano-roof, many here consider it a must have for resale if that’s important for you, and for lightening up the interior. Personally reading horror stories on leaks was ultimately the reason I decided to go without, and it seemed like an additional point of failure/maintenance over time.
- Torque vectoring, I’m sure it is great and makes a difference in some situations, but I didn’t see it being necessary for my driving needs, especially since this is already a AWD.
- I tried both, albeit the GT wheel was on a different car and not on Macan. The GT is a bit smaller in diameter, ever so slightly thicker, and with a bit more pronounced thumb rest. And also no chrome effect surrounds on buttons. Coming from a BMW steering wheels, I found the subtle change was enough to get me closer to my preferred wheel style and picked this.
- Bose, I tried test drive in both with and without Bose, albeit not in one with a Burmeister yet. Bose was a tad disappointing for my preference and I actually even thought it was standard, until I saw the logo. Other than having some semblance of bass, which the standard does lack almost entirely there wasn’t enough difference for me to justify the cost. It was a toss up between going full hog for the Burm or standard. And I decided to just stick with standard. Spending extra grand for something that’s still disappointing to my ears, made more sense to save the grand and just be accepting of the fact I didn’t spend 4 grand to upgrade to Burm and settle for the standard audio.
- In my test drive I found extended leather to actually feel like an upgrade to the BMW and the partial leather to be somewhat akin to my wife’s mini works. So I opted for the extended pack.

Hope that helps somewhat.
Moon
Macan GTS - September build allocation
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Jobbo wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:55 pm Interesting comment on the seats. The standard T seats and the 18-way sports seats look very similar indeed to the GTS seats; what are the differences (other than the extra adjustments on the 18-way)?
Ah that's a good spot - It seems the T gets the 'GTS Sport Seats' also - but with fabric instead of race-tex I think by looking at the configurator. I'll update my post to reflect.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

I think there are only two Macan seat designs. Comfort and sports and then bolster/under thigh/lumbar adjustment differences for 8,14 and 18 way.
So sports seat in 8w, 18w are the same seat design and then different coverings such as cloth, leather or racetex ?
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

8 way seats are a relic of the eighties, do go for 18 way, the extra range of adjustments enable the perfect, snug fit. 14/18 way have the extra squab fore and aft adjustments as well as 4 way lumber.

I really am getting fed up of writing that PS+ is a variable system that gives maximum assistance to turning those massive wheels and tyres when at parking speeds.

WITH PS+ at ROAD GOING SPEEDS THERE IS SWEET FA ASSISTANCE TO THE STEERING.

Despite having a considerable power hike than your outgoing Beamer with that glorious 35D engine you will find that initially the Beamer will seem quicker off the mark. But the Macan will handle far better than any X3 but better still the ride will be vastly superior.

Please do not forget to add the Spare Wheel or else I’ll have to post that image again of the unrepairable instant puncture.

Speed Limit & Lane Assist are questionable unless one of the drivers has a limited attention span when behind the wheel.
Last edited by Col Lamb on Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Love PS+ for parking and definitely is needed. Even with it the steering is heavier than my Merc at parking speeds.
Macan S MY 2023
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Welcome

You don’t need PTV on the road

PS+ was introduced for women although my wife doesn’t need it as she isn’t a wimp

Enjoy the car when it comes
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Jon A wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:19 pm I think there are only two Macan seat designs. Comfort and sports and then bolster/under thigh/lumbar adjustment differences for 8,14 and 18 way.
So sports seat in 8w, 18w are the same seat design and then different coverings such as cloth, leather or racetex ?
The confuserator seems to suggest there are 3:

Comfort
Sport seats plus
GTS Sport Seats.

The Macan base and S gets:
Comfort 8 way
Comfort 14 way
Sports Seats Plus 18 way

The GTS Sports Seats are only available on the GTS and T.

The GTS gets:
GTS Sports Seats 8 way
Comfort 14 way
Sports Seats Plus 18 way

However as you say the GTS Sport Seats and Sport Seats Plus do look strikingly familiar, but I can’t tell the difference.

I guess on one level you get the 18 way comfort/shape, but without the adjustment (and saving some money).